Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 10/win 7 dual boot - major problems again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Still the same issue when booting to usb. double ugg.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The BIOS sees the SSD and Boots OK, it sees the Lexer USB and possible the Boot file is corrupt. Can you gain access to another PC/laptop and see if it will run, will not harm another machine. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Sure I will try that next on my laptop.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, finally success! I found another USB to test - this one 16gig. It worked on win 7 and loaded into the Macrium rescue media screen.  I shut it down after that.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, finally success! I found another USB to test - this one 16gig. It worked on win 7 and loaded into the Macrium rescue media screen.  I shut it down after that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's a relief, rules out something being kaput on the MB.

the wrong process of removal of the USB stick can cause corruption.

When in the RE environment,, at the bottom of the window is a very small task bar, on the left is a power button, > double click it and a window opens, > select Shut down, then click OK, wait for shutdown, then remove the stick.

Next job is to create a new image, slightly different from previous ones you have done; I would allow about 2 hours.

Amended, see reply #162

Plug in the RE USB and boot.

1.   In the main window that opens > just below your C: drive towards the right > click on Image this Drive.

2.   Plug in your external USB caddy.

4.   In the lower window > browse if required and select the destination.

5.   At the bottom > click finish and wait, > when you get the success window, close it.

6.   At the bottom left, > double click the power button > in the window that opens > select shut down.> click OK

7.   After shutdown > remove the USB stick > remove the external caddy.

Your done.  

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

The external "USB caddy" is the new 240 gig hard drive that I am transferring to, correct?  If so , I am going to have to get a hold of a enclosure for this.  I was hoping to connect it directly to the sata cable connected to the mobo.

Edited by netrate, 27 April 2021 - 07:30 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, the 250GB is where you will be transferring the W7 OS.   Is the Caddy where you have been saving the images?

:idea: As you already have an external storage space, you could just get another SSD to use in the computer. 

Edited by iammykyl, 28 April 2021 - 05:23 PM.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Not I have an old enclosure for 2 TB platter drive.  That is where I have been saving the images.

Will the imaging automatically format the 240 drive?

Edited by netrate, 28 April 2021 - 05:44 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I thought you were using the Caddy to back up the images.

So, having the images on the 2TB drive is OK.

We will be connecting the 250GB SSD directly to the MB, then cleaning it, leaving it blank.

When you transfer the image to that blank drive, Macrium RE will format correctly for the imaged OS.

No need for other hardware, apart from a SATA cable.

You can now go ahead with the process from reply #159

Advertisements

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok will do, but do I need to have only the Win 7 and the USB 240 attached?  Should I remove the D storage drive (faith) before completing #159?  * D has always been connected to the SATA cables in the computer.

Presently :

Win 7 SATA

Storage drive : SATA

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You can leave the W7 And D storage drive plugged in.  you don't need the USB 240 attached for this step. then follow the amended instruction below.

Plug in the RE USB and boot to it.

1.   In the main window that opens > just below your C: drive towards the right > click on Image this Disk.

2.   Plug in your external 2TB drive.

4.   In the lower window > browse if required and select the destination, (2TB drive)

5.   At the bottom > click finish and wait, > when you get the success window, click OK > close the window.

6.   At the bottom left, > double click the power button > in the window that opens > select shut down.> click OK

7.   After shutdown > remove the USB stick > remove the external 2TB drive.

Carry on as usual. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please read #162 again as I have made it a bit clearer. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok I am confused.  I am backing things up first onto the 2TB drive first, and then I am going to transfer that to the 240gig hard drive?  I think I have mixed it up somewhere. I am hoping I didn't make things unclear. 

-The 2TB drive is only for backup and nothing else - I backup all of my MR images to it

-the 240gig SSD that is going to be my new drive. 

I know this is a long topic and things can easily become skewed with information overload.

Edited by netrate, 29 April 2021 - 05:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Ye, my fault, let me know if this post is OK. Before you can transfer the W7 to the new 240 SSD, we need to make a new Image of the W7 OS (presently on the 120GB SSD)   You will not need to use the 240GB SSD for this step. 

So ignore other instruction and use the ones below. 

Creating this image is slightly different from the ones you have done before.

With only the W7 C drive  plugged in. 

Insert the RE USB and boot to it.

1.   In the main window that opens > just below your C: drive towards the right > click on Image this Disk.

2.   Now plug in your external 2TB  storage drive.

4.   In the lower window > browse, if required, and select the destination, (2TB external drive)

5.   At the bottom of the window > click finish and wait, > when you get the success window, click OK > then close the window.

6.   At the bottom left, > double click the power button > in the window that opens > select shut down.> click OK

7.   After shutdown > remove the USB stick > unplug the external 2TB drive.

Use the computer as normal.