Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 10/win 7 dual boot - major problems again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK for disconnect/reconnect of the cableS.   Just so you know, it is not nec to disconnect the Power cables, you only need to disconnect the SATA cables.   Even though the power is connected, with the SATA cable disconnected there is no signal going to the drives and they do not register with the MB or BIOS. 

You have completed the clean correctly.

The 240 drive will not show in Explorer until it is initialized..

The Disk Management view is correct; the 240 showing as blank, exactly what we need. 

If you do get a prompt for the 240, just cancel.

I will post later today for the next step.   Transfering the W7 image to the 240 SSD. 

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When RE is started and the restore button is clicked, the main screen shows (automatically,)

in the top half, a disk drive showing partitions, this is the contents of the image displayed in the lower left of the screen.  the last line is the ID.

You created an image (named it W7120) and stored it on the 2TB drive. Please browse to the image and write down the ID.

Reason.   Not sure if that will be displayed first and if it will have the name.   If it is not displayed you will need to browse for and select the image.

Got stuff to do, so back as soon as I can. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

ok will do.  I am going to have to remake the image as I have been using the computer and have files/etc that I want transferred over to the new drive.  I will write down the id# as well.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Allow two to three hours for the following.   Your 120 W7 will be safe as it is not connected.

Computer off.

1.   Disconnect both the W7 120 and D Data drives.   Only the 240 SSD should be connected.

2.   Plug in the 2TB external USB Drive.

3.   Plug in the RE USB and Boot to it.

4.   On the left  > click Restore.

5.   On the lower left of the main window, if more than 1 image is displayed, Double click the last full backup of the W7 120  drive

it should have a matching date and ID to the one you saved.   If not displayed > In the left menu, click Browse for an image.... on your 2Tb drive, > double click the file you want and it will appear on

the main  window.

6.   On the right of the lower window > click Restore Image.  a new window will open.   Your blank 240 SSD will be shown below the drive you are restoring.

7.   Left click and hold down on the 1st partition in the top window, > drag it down to the blank disk below, and release.

8.   Left click and hold down on the 2nd partition in the top window > drag it down to the right of of the 1st partition in the lower window,and release.

You will now see the 2 partitions and a block of unallocated space to the right.

9.   In the lower window > click once on the C: partition.

10  On the line below the window > click Restore Partition Properties,  a new window will open.

11  Click the Maximize size button and the partition will expand to fill the drive space. >> click OK, the window closes

12  At the bottom of the open window > click Next,

13  A confirmation window opens, if all is correct > at the bottom click  Finish.

Go for coffee break.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you get back.

1.   At the Restore completed screen > click ok > at the bottom click Close.  The main window remains open.

2.   Use the RE power button to shut down.

3.   Remove the RE USB, > unplug the 2TB Drive, > Connect the Storage D Drive, DO NOT connect the W7 120 Drive. 

4.   Boot.   You should now enter the W7 on the 240 SSD

=============================

If you failed to Boot to the 120 SSD

1.   Boot from the RE USB. > click the Restore button.

2.   In the left menu > click Fix Windows Boot Problems 

3.   On the screen that opens > click Next > on the screen that opens, > click next > on the screen that opens > click Finish.

4.   In the box that opens > click yes to restart the computer.  You should then restart to the new W7 240 SSD

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Sorry its been a busy week.  I hope to get to it this weekend.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No worries, post if something not clear. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I am making the image with MR up again (this one will be the latest and the one i will use to put on the 240gig) right now and will follow the instructions after that is complete.

Ok, well it doesn't seem to see the 240 gig drive.  Here is the picture of the restore option (first pic on the left)

I don't know enough, but is it because it was never initialized as a drive?

Now : If I click on the backup tab, the 240 drive shows up, see image.  But in the RESTORE mode, it does not. (second pic on the right)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210507_200556.jpg
  • 20210507_201424.jpg

Edited by netrate, 07 May 2021 - 06:17 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Did you create the new image of the W7 120 and save it to the 2Tb USB drive, and, can you see it?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Yes, you can see the 2TB drive in the first picture - that is the MR images I backed up -- the image is called "240 latest". -- BUT you cannot see the 240gig drive.  Following your instructions I should have been able to see both drives, but I can't.  Unless I have made an error somewhere

I clicked on the TAB backup just as an experiment and it showed the 240gig in the second pic.

Edited by netrate, 07 May 2021 - 07:42 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When in the Restore mode, (first image) Macrium is only looking for drives that contain images; as there are not images on the 240 drive, it being blank, it will not show.

You will not see the empty drive until you click on the lower right Restore image.

Did you get this far when restoring??  step 6.   On the right of the lower window > click Restore Image.  a new window will open.   Your blank 240 SSD will be shown below the image you are restoring in the top window?.??

your second image is correct for Backup mode. 

Edited by iammykyl, 07 May 2021 - 09:30 PM.
to clarify explanation.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

No,

Here is what happened.  It did not display any images.  I had to pick Browse images to find the one on the 2TB drive.  After that, I thought it would open up a window show the destination drive, but it did not.  so I left it at that point.  I will try that now.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

deleted

Edited by netrate, 08 May 2021 - 03:59 PM.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

EDIT :  It is progressing now.  It is now working through restoring the drive to the 240Gig.

EDIT UPDATE : success!  It boot to the 240gig drive. Also there wasn't any asking for SCAN DISK on bootup either.

Hopefully the dual boot with win 10 can be tackled next.

Is it premature to hook up the win 10 drive?

Let me know next steps please.

Edited by netrate, 08 May 2021 - 09:32 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A great result, well done.

Still a little work on the new W7 OS to be done. do not connect the W10 SSD yet.

We need to adjust the Paging file size (windows managed_so the System Restore works correctly.

Sorry, a visitor has arrrived, will get back later.