Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 10/win 7 dual boot - major problems again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, something is definitely amiss.  I just made a restore point this minute, in fact I have made approx 5 restore points in the last two week.  I did what you said and went into the SYSTEM RESTORE and it shows TODAYS restore point and one from March 2020.  It is clear it is saving the restore point, but maybe on reboot, it is deleting them somehow.  

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is ther a tab on the page, something like "show more/all"

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Nope, now the march 2020 has disappeared.

Attached Thumbnails

• retore point.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

At the bottom of that page, Tick the box > show more restore points.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Thanks, I didn't see that.  Unfortunately, it only shows one more 

Attached Thumbnails

• retore point.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well that's something, but not what I get on a W7 pc.   I will have to do some more searching. will get back later when I find a possible solutions. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Do the following,

In the Run Box, > copy/paste > services.msc > click Enter.

Scroll down to the Volume Shadow Copy > Double click on it

In the window that opens > Under Startup > it should be set to Manual. (click apply if you changed it) Close out of the windows. 

========================================================

Go to System Protection > System Restore > Turn OFF Protection for the Data Drive (faith)

Click the System Drive > click the Configure box, > Adjust the slider so you have aprox 7GB selected > click Apply, > close the windows

Create a manual restore point, then check to see if you now have 3 restore point listed. 

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Something on restore points that I have found with W10 is that it seems to delete them. I haven't found a reason for it. I would create them and they would disappear shortly afterwards. Normally system restore would delete the 1st ones if you didn't have enough space allocated for restore points (I have plenty). In fact I found that the last W10 update I did turned off the system restore on my C drive (and this isn't the 1st time I have found it turned off). I know this because I have now got into the habit of creating my own restore point weekly.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, I have done what you asked, MANUAL was already set

FAITH was already OFF.

So I was unsure if I should proceed because it is the same as before

Attached Thumbnails

• shadow1.png
  • shadow2.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi 123Runner, thanks for your info; we are trying to fix Syystem restore on an older W7 OS, so any insights that would be selcome.

---------------------------------------------

Netrate.

When at the second image you posted, (System Protection) > click the System Drive > click the Configure Box and in the window that opens > move the slider till the value shows aprox 7GB > click Apply >  click OK, You may have to restart .

Create a manual restore point then look to see if you now have 3 listed. 

Advertisements

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Yeah my issue is that I don't have 7 gigs available.  I am trying to figure how to make more space.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thought you had done a cleanup before making a system image.   Would like to have had the OS on this drive all fixed before imaging it to the 250GB SSD. 

Run Revo,

1..at top, click Tools > on left, click Junk file cleaner > on far right, tick the C drive > at top, click Scan, when complete, at top, click Delete > close open windows. ignore list still on screen.

2.  on left, click Windows Cleanup > All boxes should be ticked . at top, click Clear, > click Yes > click OK > click OK.

3.  on left, click Windows Tools, > in the window that opens, Double click Malicious Software Removal Tool, . > in the window that opens, click Full Scan radio button > click Next, follow the prompts.         When done close out of Revo.

Then check how much free space you have. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

It is finding a lot of dmp files - are they ok to delete?

DONE

Windows Cleanup - I think it is called Windows Cleaner maybe?  It wants me to clean the windows registry (recent docs, start menu, find file history, clear the printers etc?)

DONE

Windows tools - there is no Malicious Software removal tool, maybe that is a older version or pro version?

I usually run WinDirStat to find the large files - about 4 gig under BRAVE and CHROME for the LOCAL appdata.

My hiberfil - for sleep mode is about 9 gigs

Under windows installer there is about 6.7 gigs (not sure if these are old installation files for windows or other programs

Removing more files - now at about approx 6 gigs free.  Maybe more on reboot.

Edited by netrate, 04 April 2021 - 01:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Do not delete C:\Windows\Installer

Try running Windows Disk Cleanup, 

Click Start > File Explorer > This PC > right click C: > click Properties > click Disk Cleanup box > when scan is done, > click OK at the bottom. > in the box that opens click Delete Files.

Close any open boxes.   

How much free space do you have now?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

so at this point, I have about 5.5 gigs of freed up space.  Can we work with that, or do I need to keep digging?