Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Dead

• Please log in to reply

Tmartinhere

Tmartinhere

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Asus Prime B450M-A Motherboard

ryzen 5 3600

Problem: Computer game with 1 stick of 8 gig ram called Ballistic with 3000 mhz. I bought corsair vengence 16 gig ram 3000 mhz from amazon.ca brand new. I took out the 8 gig stick, to put in the new 16 gig stick, then the pc would not boot. I was very careful, I grounded myself first, and watched tutorial videos. I then took out the new 16 gig stick and put back in the original 8 gig stick and the computer would still not load. I called cyberpower pc , since that is where I bought the computer, and they said to clear the cmos, so I took out the cmos battery, waited 15 minutes, put it back in, and it still would not boot. Now I guess I have to send it in for repairs, and pay the shipping fee, from Canada to the US. I triple checked the HDMI cable for the pc. I also made sure to use the same slot that was in use to begin with, the first grey slot. (2nd slot), as the asus motherboard manual suggests. This is so stupid. I don't understand why a new stick of ram would cause the motherboard to die, especially since on the corsair website it says it is compatible with my motherboard. This pc was bought in september , I have had it for only 4 months.

motherboard manual  is on the asus website: Asus Prime B450M-A Motherboard

page 9 for ram installation guide

original ram :

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G4D30AESBK

new ram:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (16GBx1) DDR4 3000MHz RAM CMK16GX4M1D3000C16

Verdict: Computer no longer boots with either stick.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Look carefully to see if you might have accidentally bumped a connector, go through all the connectors and boards to make sure that everything is secure.

What exactly does it do? Does there appear to be any disk activity when it powers up? Is there anything on the display at all? Any LEDs on the board?

Tmartinhere

Tmartinhere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeah i looked at all the cables , they all looked secure. Nothing was moved out of place at all. One side of the tower is a see through glass panel, I opened that side , so nothing was moved in the process of opening the tower either.  When i power it up, theres no display, monitor cannot find a signal, the lights come on , the motherboard yellow light turns on but that is all. 

Edited by Tmartinhere, 23 January 2021 - 12:39 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Did you check the cable going from the computer to the monitor? Unplug it and plug it back in. Also check the cable at the monitor.

Is there any disk activity?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Excuse the interjection Kemasa,

Tmartinhere,

I post the following on another forum where you have also asked for help with this, there are two other helpers there waiting on you getting back to them as well;

I triple checked the HDMI cable for the pc.

Does that include making sure that you are connecting the cable to the add on GPUs HDMI port and not the one on the MB which due to the CPU that you have does not provide video.

No logo. The ram was clicked in and aligned properly. No beeps, monitor doesnt detect a signal.

Does your monitor actually display a "No Signal" message.

Your MB does not ship with an onboard speaker looking at the specs here so unless one has been retro fitted you will not hear any beep/s

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Excuse the interjection Kemasa,

No problem, no need to excuse anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts