Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition; problem in deleting.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I have a second PC which I have just cloned the OS to on an SSD.

I see that there are 3 partitions, the 3rd one being empty and quite sizeable 186GB. I do not know how this has come about but I cannot delete it. I have tried with it allocated and unallocated but see no options to remove it or to extend the OS partition to include it.

I have been trying using disk part instructions but without success. i.e. disk part/list part/ etc.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks.

Image attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Drives.png

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

The Windows partition manager is limit you have to use a 3rd party program to extend the C: Drive.

There are several disk partition managers available for free but they have certain limitations! I think Macrorit Partition Expert Free Edition should work for what you need
https://macrorit.com...ee-edition.html they have a Portable version that don't need to be installed...

- remove the New Volume Z: if it doesn't contain any data!
- move the Recovery Partition to the right side to the end of the sdd
- extend the C: drive

This type of tools will do the work virtually on the graphic interface and only do the actual changes when you hit the Apply button.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for that. I found the program easy to use and it did the job. Unfortunately I did not realise that the procedure must be done whilst the drive is in the computer it was to be used in. For convenience I carried out the process on my main computer using a docking port to access the drive in question. The drive booted once when I put it back into the second computer but when I went to check the partitions in disk management the system crashed. It seems it is corrupted and asks to be formatted. Your advice was spot on but I messed up. 

I am presuming now that I need to re-install the OS but thought I would ask you if you thought it could be rescued before doing that. My intention is to make the PC usable in another room for my wife, so this is just a hold up and no big disaster. I can't say I haven't learned from it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you have problems, I never had any problem using any of those tools!

Before doing any changes to the drive contents put it back on the docking and check if the program show the partitions correctly or not.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Now showing (on main PC i.e. not the one I wish to use it in) in drive management as- ‘F:/ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’. (Disk 6).

The drive is in the Docking connection. As you can see in attached image, both partitions that I changed showing as healthy.

As you can see in Partition Expert showing as Disk 6 ‘F’ not formatted.

I was not under the impression that it was the software that had caused a problem but the fact that I had made the changed on a different system?

Attached Thumbnails

• Drives on main pc..jpg
  • Drives showing in PExpert..jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The images are small for me to read but it seems the C: partition is now RAW!

Did you use the eject function before disconnecting the drive when on the docking?

Doing the change using another computer should not create problems but we never know for sure! I really hope you have backups of the data and that you can start now with a fresh install or restore a backup image.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for responding so fast with this.

I turned off the PC before pulling the drive from the docking facility.

I always keep data files on other drives. In the case of the second PC, though there are other drives they are formatted ready for new data, so no problem there. Unfortunately  one of them was the OS drive that I had cloned from so it looks like a fresh install. I am suspicious that it was the fact that I had made changes on my main PC which is more up to date but who knows.

Thanks for your help, I have learned a few things and in terms of problems I have had in the past it is no big disaster.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I'm relieved that it doesn't have a big impact on you.