Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telephony modems

Best Answer Kemasa , 27 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

Yes, if you find a device which will work for the cable company and is a cable modem, wifi and telephone ports (a web search indicates there are some devices that do it all). The problem is that yo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I need help in understanding a telephony modem. I posted here because I need to understand about the modem, not how to network it. I think. I don't have telephones connected to my router so this is a total blank page to me. Here is the problem...my father has telephone thru his isp. The cable comes in the house and is connected to an Arris TM822G. The telephones are connected to it. For wi-fi, a Motorola SBG6580 is connected to the Arris. He wants to use just one device, spacesaving. Install was done by the isp, so I don't know what was done (part of my confusion). Can he use just one device?

Thanks in advance.

TJMCS

Edited by tjmcs, 27 January 2021 - 07:08 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yes, if you find a device which will work for the cable company and is a cable modem, wifi and telephone ports (a web search indicates there are some devices that do it all). The problem is that you would have to buy the device, which if he is currently renting the equipment, it could save money, but you would have to buy it and then call the company to have it switched over to the new device, so need a cell phone or something to call with as the other device has to be switched to the new one.

Most cable companies have web pages which list the devices that they support, so you should look at that and see if there are any devices which do everything that you want.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Thanks for the quick reply! My device is an Arris TG2482. It has telephone ports. Think that would work?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Thanks for the quick reply! My device is an Arris TG2482. It has telephone ports. Think that would work?

Do you have the same cable company? If you do, in theory, should work, but you should confirm that with the cable company. If he is renting the equipment, you could check with the cable company to see if they would swap the device. If both of you own the devices, then you should be able to swap them as the Motorola device should work for you as it has the wifi, but one question is whether it is connected directly to the cable or is it connected to the Arris that he has and is just being used as a router and not as a cable modem.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

We are using same isp. His Arris is connected to the cable. The Motorola is connected to the Arris. The Motorola is the only network broadcast.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Since it is the same ISP, it should work. You would need to get a new device, which the Motorola might or might not work since you say it isn't directly connected and is just being used as a router and wifi device.

You might need to disable your device with the cable company first. They might be able to just swap between the two accounts, but I wouldn't count on it.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Sorry I took so long getting back. Been with my isp. Reaffirmed my long ago theory as to why people are leaving this isp. Not putting name as to not break any rules.

My device is an Arris TG2482. A device Arris makes for isp's and the device I was given by this isp. It is a telephony device. The manual says to connect a phone cable into the phone cable slots and you will have phone service if you have phone service thru your isp. The local office of my isp says I was not given this device by a local office as wireless telephony devices do not exist. I told them what the manual said and was told the manual lied, there are no wireless telephony devices.

Unfortunately, for any kind of service above 10 meg, this isp is the only way to go. And btw, the 1-800 customer service people could not test the device at my fathers because his tv was not hooked up. Waiting on a tech to do a service appointment.

You have been very helpful. Thank you. I will mark this as solved as you answered my question.

tjmcs

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It doesn't have wireless telephone access, that is wired, you plug in the phone line in the back. It does have wifi according to descriptions about it, but that doesn't have to do with the telephone ports.

The cable modems don't need a TV connected in order for them to access it, unless you are saying he doesn't have service right now.

You might talk to the tech as that person might know what they are doing.