Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telegram Desktop converts a paste into an attachment

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I've experienced another three THIS PC misbehaviours, so I repeat the question : should I do some test immediately after THIS PC misbehaviour and post it here ?

On re-reading recent posts, I'm guessing you want me to do and post a VEW - but will wait till you confirm.

As for 'The PC is trying to write some data but the drive is not reporting that the data was written.', is there a way of identifying WHICH drive is refusing to report ?

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskDrives.JPG

Edited by Basty, 07 April 2021 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Have you been using your splitter program since you deleted the divd.dll file?

Your surprise removals tend to upset the system so I would suggest you shutdown the PC to remove or add power to your SATA drives.

Not sure what you had for Disk 5 but it's not healthy.  It's not one of the ones in your attachment.  Perhaps a USB drive you plugged in for a some task.  Can't read the full name of the file involved but perhaps it means something to you: 

.. dmother-scene-5.540p.mp4.

As far as the current problem goes I'm not really clear on what is happening.  You say:

Today's tantrum was a fully populated left pane, and nothing in the right pane. 'Not responding' at top.

VEW is a good start but if it doesn't show anything we need to know:

What program created the panes?  What should be in the right pane?

Can you take a screen shot of it working and another when it fails?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Starting with your last request - I have attached a 'well-behaved' snap of the THIS PC, fully populated in the left pane, and the right pane has five entries under Devices & Drives. I do not know how to trigger the misbehaviour, but when it happens again - as it surely will - I will send you a snap of that. Simply LAUNCHING the video processing files and associated folders is not enough to cause misbehaviour. Actually using one or other of them DOES result in misbehaviour - that is a RECENT discovery, and I can test which program execution is followed by THIS PC misbehaviour.

Have you been using your splitter program since you deleted the divd.dll file ? I have.

No, I can not reverse engineer the identity of a troublesome file; and I think it is not worth the effort to do so. I am NOT concerned about the failure of individual video files.

"Perhaps a USB drive you plugged in for a some task." I do often plug in USB sticks temporarily - typically for file transfer. They are not all perfect - I discard them if I find them faulty.

"Your surprise removals tend to upset the system." I have been doing that for years - long before the THIS PC misbehaviour started - and that misbehaviour is my ONLY concern now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Well behaved.JPG

Edited by Basty, 08 April 2021 - 03:19 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Sooner than expected - and without opening video processing programs -  misbehaviour.

I'll do a VEW and add that too.

Will have to be in the next post as I see no option to attach another snap.

Attached Thumbnails

• Misbehaviour.JPG

Edited by Basty, 08 April 2021 - 03:40 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Here is VEW

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   20.14KB   116 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

See if drivecleanup helps.

https://www.uwe-sieb...riveCleanup.zip

Download, Save and then go to the folder and right click on the file and Extract All, extract.

You will get a folder called DriveCleanup with two folders and a txt file.  Double click on the x64 folder and find the DriveCleanup.exe file.  I like to drag it to the desktop to make it easier to find from the command line.

Assuming it is on the desktop open an elevated command prompt and type:

cd  %UserProfile%\desktop

hit Enter and the prompt should change to show you are at your desktop.

To see what DriveCleanup will do (without doing anything) type:

drivecleanup -t

Hit Enter.  You will get a long list of things.  Probably too many to really see in one screen so you might want to do:

drivecleanup -t > junk.txt

instead.  This will put everything into text file called junk.txt which you can open with

notepad junk.txt

To let the program do its thing you just type:

drivecleanup

and hit Enter.

Windows remembers every USB and drive you have ever plugged in or connected (including your two SATA drives that you play power games with).   This makes adding a previously installed drive a bit quicker but the drawback is that explorer has to sift though a lot of non present drive info in order to find the active drives with which to populate This PC so I'm thinking perhaps there are so many that it is getting lost or overflowing its buffer.   This program removes all of the stored info for drives which are not currently connected.  When a new drive is connected it will have to rebuild the info (and assign a drive letter) which takes a few extra seconds.  You may get a different drive letter than previously so you may need to go into device manager and change the letter to the old letter if you have a backup process which is looking for the old letter.

I just ran it on mine and the summary at the bottom  of the -t output says:

1 USB devices to remove
1 USB hubs to remove
3 Disk devices to remove
0 CDROM devices to remove
0 Floppy devices to remove
10 Storage volumes to remove
0 WPD devices to remove
220 Items to remove from registry

I ran it without the -t and everything stills works and all of my drives are visible so it didn't break anything.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Before I do that, I want to recount a bizarre anecdote of an event this morning - it may be relevant because it has to do with the THIS PC window.

I noticed that Quick Access was 'back' in the left pane - I thought I had removed it - but I had definitely stopped it from displaying its wares.

I found the following instructions on the web to remove Quick Access altogether : "In HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer, create a REG_DWORD called 'Hub Mode' and change its value to '1' " I tested that on the clone I had made on Tuesday, and it was successful. So I tried it on this source-of-the-clone, and it failed. I redid the cloning, then redid the procedure for removing Quick Access. It failed !

I take it the VEW [which I sent you] done straight after THIS PC misbehaved, did NOT give you any pointers ? Did it acknowledge some recent malfunction ?

I was about to start on your latest recommendations and then saw you want me to do a 'cleanup'. I am apprehensive about, that because the record shows that such procedures reset defaults for tweaks that suit me better - but do so without warning or consultation. [e.g. RUN memory got wiped this morning - I think by introducing the [failed] Hub Mode key into registry.]

Secondly - "Double click on the x64 folder" - even though this is a x32 system ?

I can cope with re-assigning drive letters - your reassurance that nothing broke is welcome - I will still wait for your response to my query about 'x64'.

Edited by Basty, 08 April 2021 - 05:25 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Instead of waiting, I ran as administrator, the x32 version on the clone that I made this morning. When I opened THIS PC, drive letters had not been lost. The modem entry was lacking, but I don't miss it.

This may or may not solve THE ISSUE, as I can not reproduce the phenomenon on demand.

I've not yet run it in my main system - will first see if you have further comment.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

We can look at the registry to make sure your Quick Access change took and check that there is nothing wrong with the NameSpace entry (where it keeps the folders you see in This PC):

Copy the next 3 lines:

reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer > %UserProfile%\desktop\junk2.txt
reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace >> %UserProfile%\desktop\junk2.txt
notepad %UserProfile%\desktop\junk2.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt and right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.  Hit Enter if Notepad does not open.  Copy the text and paste it into a reply.

An easier way to make your registry change is to download the appropriate RegistryShortCuts zip file on

https://www.techspot...-file-explorer/

Then you just right click and Extract All Extract then find the change you want and right click on it and Merge.  No danger of leaving off a quote or making a typo.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Apparently that failed, so I'll try the 'easier way' ....

The easier way succeeded in getting rid of Quick Access.

Attached Thumbnails

• CMDprompt.JPG

Edited by Basty, 08 April 2021 - 09:22 PM.

Advertisements

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I had not realised that two files had been placed on the desktop - here they are : The one called junk2.txtnotepad would not attach

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Sometimes the forum software messes up the commands.  They worked OK on my PC.  You can try copying and pasting them into notepad.  Make sure that the forum didn't merge the lines together.  (From your later post I see that it has merged the last two lines.  If you rename the file junk2.txtnotepad to junk3.txt you should be able to open it in notepad and it will have the info I was looking for.)

I've been looking at the folders in This PC.  Wondering if Explorer tries to open the Videos folder and is running into delays because you have so many videos?  Perhaps you can use the

Disable Videos Folder Win10 64.reg to remove it from This PC.  This doesn't remove the real folders so won't hurt anything and you can put it back with Enable Videos Folder Win10 64.reg

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I keep NO videos on this system drive. At the time of processing I get them from an External HDD, and put the finished product back there. That is an SSD which is connected via USB, dis/-connecting via a powered and switched USB hub. So, unless you insist, I wont bother with your latest advice. I notice you recommend a x64 process again. I'm assuming you meant x32, because that is what THIS system is.

Edited by Basty, 08 April 2021 - 09:50 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I've done some video processing in the clone in which had run the reghack to remove memory of associations with bygone HDDs - sad to say that THIS PC still misbehaves. This time in the context of the Save As window of the video program, where 'C:\' is missing.

I had also run the had also run the Disable Videos Folder hack there.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

The intractable THIS PC problem persists ....

I know this is a different issue and requires a different thread, but we have already wandered so far from my original post about Telegram, and you have been so helpful and resourceful, that I feel emboldened to put another one to you : In Win10 the 'Apply to folders' button in 'Folders View' is often greyed out when I want to set DETAILS view universally. Is there a tweak to get around that ?