Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telegram Desktop converts a paste into an attachment

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Right click on the clock and select Task manager

Click on the Performance tab

You will see a series of small graphs in the left side of the window along with the percentage of use of the different resources.  Since we are not seeing crashes in the event logs I suspect that something is using too much CPU, Memory or Disk so keep task manager running then try to recreate your This PC problem.  If you get it to happen, switch back to the Task Manager and look to see if any graph show a big spike during the time of the This PC problem.  The graph is only for the last 60 seconds so you have to be quick.  Might be easier to take a screen shot.

As for your new problem I'm not sure what you are talking about.  Can you explain exactly what you are doing?

Advertisements

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I opened the Task Manager - and left it open in Performance - then opened THIS PC - It was 'non-responding and lacked ANY content in the right pane. I could not increase the size of the window to inspect the left pane - however I could see it listed THREE$ drives EXclusing C:\.  There was a blip in the graph of CPU and GPU 0, but NO spike.

I will explain the 'new' problem in the next post.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I generally prefer a 'list' or 'details' view of the contents of folders, rather than Microsoft's default icon view. In any particular window, a details view can be chosen. To avoid making that choice over and over again, I want to set that view globally by clicking the button  for 'Apply to folders', but often that button is greyed out. Is there a tweak to get around the greying out ? In the attachment, it is NOT greyed out and so not a problem; it's a problem TO ME, when it IS greyed out.

Attached Thumbnails

• FoldersView.JPG

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

As part of my routine 4-weekly cleanups and security checking, I ran Hard Disk Sentinel and it is very critical of the two permanently attached SSDs, which IN PRACTICE serve me well, and cause no OBVIOUS fuss. I access them rarely. I KNOW they both have at least one 'bad sector' each.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I know you don't want to but I think you need to run

chkdsk  /r  C:

on your drive if it has bad sectors.  Let it run at night and it should be done when you wake up.

On your new problem.  

Is there a particular folder type that gives you problems?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I will run the checkdisk tonight.

"Is there a particular folder type that gives you problems?"

I thought the answer is in my post : "I generally prefer a 'list' or 'details' view of the contents of folders, rather than Microsoft's default icon view." If that is not an adequate answer, I do not know what to reply to you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you right click on a folder (in File Explorer) and select Properties then  Customize you will see an option to "Optimize this folder for" and under that it will say the type of folder you are currently looking at.  Default is General items but if you open the drop down list you will see Documents, Pictures, Music and Video as other options.  You can set the default view for each different type of folder.  I went in to File Explorer and selected a Pictures folder, set it to Details then clicked on Options then clicked on Change Folder and Search Options, clicked on View tab, then Apply to Folders and told it Yes.  All of my Picture folders now open in Details view.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I did the 'chkdsk  /r  C:' in elevated Command Prompt and waited to see that it would start correctly, but in the blink of an eye it reported no faults.

'Customise' appears to be missing from my video properties

Attached Thumbnails

• Customise.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The chkdsk thing is odd.  On mine it works as it should.

Perhaps if you set the dirty bit.  From an elevated command prompt

fsutil.exe dirty set c:

then try chkdsk /r c:

For your picture:

You are looking at the file's properties.  You need to look at the folder's properties

folder.jpg

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Will try the checkdisk tonight before sleep.

Sometime since I started this thread I had already replaced the system drive with an SSD that seemed to hold the data lead more securely. That change brought NO improvement in THIS PC

I apologize (?) for the file/folder mix-up. I have seen in MY system the view corresponding to your attachment. I feel that your reply, though trying to be helpful, does not address my issue.

I do not want 'documents' or 'videos' for the folders - I want 'details' or 'list' view for ALL folders. When I want something different, I can ask for it at that time.

Once I set a view (like DETAILS), the Folder Options should allow me to tick the box 'Apply to folders' as shown in post #168, but that option is often greyed out - can that greying out be reversed ?

The ever extending tentacles of my inquisitiveness : Every time I get an email from 'you', I have to enter my credentials to log-in, even though I have ticked the 'remember me' button. Can I FORCE memory/recognition somehow ?

Edited by Basty, 12 April 2021 - 10:17 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think you missed the point.  You can't set the view to details for all folders at once.  You need to do it separately for each type of folder.  As for the greyed out folder I need an example with details, folder type, full path including drive.  

Passwords are usually saved by your browser.  Make sure you have the settings with red arrows ON

ch.jpg

ff.jpg

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Even after zooming considerably, your attachments are still illegible to me.

I have found the 'Remember logins for sites' - the box is NOT ticked, nor can I tick it - the text is greyed out.

As for getting the details view for all folders - that is what Microsoft offers, but then disables it by greying it out. Post #168 shows that 'Apply to folders' box NOT greyed out.

I can not produce the greying 'on demand' to show you a snapshot - but it is characteristic of 'modern' windows. Earlier versions (Win95 ?) did not have that restriction.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

What browser are you using?

Just click on an attachment and it will become full size.

If you right click on a folder and select Properties then Customize what type of folder is selected?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

What browser are you using?

When I used an up-to-date Chrome, my credentials were indeed remembered. Which takes the topic out of discussion. 

'Just click on an attachment and it will become full size.' INDEED - Magical ! You are SUCH good value !

'If you right click on a folder and select Properties then Customize what type of folder is selected?'

For a folder with videos, 'videos' is the answer; for a folder with an installed program, 'General Items' is the answer

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Now what type does it say for the folder that doesn't want to stay in details?