Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telegram Desktop converts a paste into an attachment

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I can not conceive of a way to apply your suggestion to MY system.

I've had a look at

LatencyMon 7.00

Real-time audio suitability checker

Seems to me far removed from relevance to the THIS PC problem.

In a new development, THIS PC is opening all right, but none of my 'old' tricks can get it to show X:\ and T:\ any longer.

I feel I really need to see if the replacement mobo I bought (wisely or otherwise, a 'clone' of mobo that is already fitted) will restore functionality. The 'new' board is presumably the same age as the fitted one, and may even have had the same amount of use. It's a big undertaking, but I can not do without X:\ and T:\ (more accurately WILL not do without them).

P.S. - X:\ and T:\ are powered from the same extension/splitter; when I reseated the molex connector to the extension, X:\ and T:\ returned.

Edited by Basty, 06 March 2021 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Reason I suggested Latency Monitor is that one of the things it looks at is processes which cause hard page faults.  Thought was that if something was using up all of the memory that could cause your problem and tell us which program was at fault.   It also tells you if a driver is using too much CPU.  I use the program a lot when trying to speed up PCs.

However, if you have isolated the problem down to the two drives and the power splitter then there is probably no need for Latency Monitor.

I found these:

18 inch SATA III 6Gbps Cable with Locking Latch

https://www.pimfg.co...il/SATA3-SSL-18

Shipping for 2 would be $3.84 to my zip code so it wouldn't be that expensive to try them.  Probably other sources but these were the first ones I found.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I have and use SATA signal leads like that, but there is nothing in an SSD for those clips to clamp on.

The simultaneous disappearance of X:\ and T:\  has been diagnosed and remedied, but that is only 'the tip of the ice berg' - and the most recent malfunction.

Right now THIS PC shows 'in all its glory' - if only it would stay that way !

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

It did not stay that way, more often than not, it misbehaves

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Tried again to paste the contents of the EVENTS file, and failed, but if copied in segments, then pasted,  it works - so the file is too bulky AND - I can not resize the Notepad window.

This style of pasting is effective but very tedious - tell me if you want to see more.

==================================================
Event Time        : 28/2/2021 5:01:51 PM.072
Record ID         : 1571
Event ID          : 235
Level             : Error
Channel           : Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot/Operational
Provider          : Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot
Description       : Windows boot environment failed to initialize TPM device. StatusCode: 0xC0000002, Position: 1.
Opcode            : 11
Task              : 99
Keywords          : 0x2000080000000000
Process ID        : 4
Thread ID         : 8
Computer          : DesktopTower
User              : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Log File          : 

Event Time        : 28/2/2021 5:01:51 PM.072
Record ID         : 1571
Description       : Windows boot environment failed to initialize TPM device. StatusCode: 0xC0000002, Position: 1.
Log File          : 
Event Time        : 28/2/2021 5:01:51 PM.073
Record ID         : 1573
Log File          : 

Event Time        : 28/2/2021 5:01:51 PM.073
Record ID         : 1574
Event ID          : 208
Description       : Measured Boot library encountered a failure and entered insecure state. InitState: 1, StatusCode: 0xC0000001, Failure Address: 0x41D768, Reference Address: 0x4C2380, Reason: 1.
Opcode            : 12
Task              : 78
Log File          : 

Event Time        : 28/2/2021 5:01:54 PM.518
Record ID         : 16339
Event ID          : 548
Level             : Warning
Channel           : Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Storport/Health
Provider          : Microsoft-Windows-StorPort
Description       : The miniport logged a health event.
Opcode            : Start (1)
Task              : Port (201)
Keywords          : Device enumeration handling
Process ID        : 
Thread ID         : 
User              : 
Log File          : 

Edited by Basty, 08 March 2021 - 02:45 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The forum only lets you attach a total of 20 Meg.  If you use it all up then you can't attach more.  Click on your Picture then on Edit My Profile then on Manage Attachments.  It willt ell you how much space you have left.  If you are close to the limit then you need to delete some of your older attachments.  Click on the double arrow after next where it talks about pages.  That will take you to the last page.  Click on the box to the right of Topic and it will select all of the attachments on that page.  Then scroll to the bottom and Delete Selected.  Repeat until you have a few megs free.  Try not to delete attachments from this current topic as I sometimes need to refer back to them.

The events you show are very old.  Do you have any newer?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

There is no question of being near the limit of my allowed attachments - I have used less than 10%. There must be yet another gremlin in the works that wont allow me to do these pastings and attachments.

To add to my problems, a 5Tb movie store HDD has been getting harder and harder to look into - it was in a caddy connected by USB, but today it was no longer even recognised when removed from the caddy and connected by SATA leads. In another PC there was NO problem what so ever - in fact it became accessible again even in THIS PC. I was wondering if the output from the PSU was declining, but the fact that it 'came back' seems to rule that out.

It is clear that I can not attach the EVENT.txt files, nor paste in ALL of their contents - but I obviously CAN select parts that interest you and paste them. Since the files are so large you'll need to guide me as to what to select for pasting. Presumably you'd like me to generate NEW EVENT.txt files for that.

Attached Thumbnails

• allowance.JPG

Edited by Basty, 08 March 2021 - 10:41 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The forum only lets you attach files with certain extensions: txt, jpg, reg and Zip.  There may be a few others but those are the ones I am sure of.  If you are trying to do a copy and paste (text only) there should be no problem as long as the total post remains under 20K.

Best to run VEW and post its logs.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run As Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running VEW a second time.)

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yet another snazzy tool !

Have fun !

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Actually we used VEW back on the first page.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 08/03/2021 7:40:33 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Can I assume that the unexpected shutdowns are happening when you turn the PC off and on because it froze on you?

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 08/03/2021 10:54:05 PM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 50 Source: Ntfs
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\movies\_2020\copied to usb. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event: 157 Source: disk
Disk 4 has been surprise removed.

Event: 51 Source: disk
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR5 during a paging operation.

You didn't have a D: drive in your FRST Addition.txt file so I assume it is a USB drive.  You might want to search for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the plus in front of Disk Drives.  Find the D: drive based on its make.  Right click on it and select Properties then Policies.  Make sure the option

Quick Removal (Default) is checked.

While you are in Device Manager, click on the arrow in front of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

What controller are you using?  Right click on it and select Properties.  Then click on the Driver tab.  What date & version does it show?

Open an Elevated Command Prompt and type:

chkdsk  /r  d:

Hit Enter.  Should run without a reboot unless something is using the drive.  May take several hours to complete.

Can you make a Speccy log with the drive connected?

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 08/03/2021 9:13:45 PM
Type: Warning Category: 7
Event: 508 Source: ESENT
wlmail (7280,D,0) WindowsLiveMail0: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\edbtmp.log" at offset 1572864 (0x0000000000180000) for 393216 (0x00060000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (28 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

How big is the file:

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\edbtmp.log

Sometimes log files can get so big that you get this type of error.  Other times the file is corrupt.  Can you open it in notepad?  (Make sure Windows Live Mail is closed.)

Advertisements

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yes, I found VEW already 'in the system' - the 'VEW' name struck me as novel - indicates a short memory.

I would obviously turn the PC off and on if it froze. I did not record a freeze yesterday, but I did find that video programs I used very late last night, had lost some customised settings.

A 5Tb movie storage HDD became unrecogised yesterday. It used to be in a USB caddy - when that became unreliable I took it out and operated it direct from SATA leads, but even THAT failed yesterday - Disk Management saw it as uninitialed. I tested it in another PC where it showed its contents without fuss, and Hard Disk Sentinel declared it 100% healthy. Later it worked again here in this PC; reseating the leads on this non-SSD, and switching the power had been employed in its recovery.

The D drive was the 5Tb - on a switched power lead, which I only turn on when I need to the access the drive. It is NOT a USB (but USED TO BE when it was in a caddy).

Since there is no doubt about the identity of D, I'm assuming I can dispense with the Device Manager instructions.

I'm attaching a snip of Device Manager's IDE ATA/ATAPI entries; all seven entries are dated June 2006.

I'm loathe to do the checkdisk of D, because it is in use for only the time it takes to transfer a movie, and while I could be wrong in this, I feel we are it is irrelevant to the problems that THIS PC display when D:\ is NOT connected.

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\edbtmp.log occupies 2048 kb - just like all the other log files there.

It opens in Notepad but has no content (so I wonder what is taking up 2048 kb ! ?)

Attached Thumbnails

• IDE_ATA.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Windows Live Mail\edbtmp.log is apparently just used as a scratch pad.  Gets erased when Windows Live closes.  Probably a bad spot on the drive.  You might let it "optimize" the drive.  That might move the file to a better spot on the drive.  You can run HD Tune and see if it shows any drop outs:

HD Tune

Actual download is at:

Download, Save, right click and Run As Admin.  Run the Benchmark test.  Ideally the graph will be flat or slightly tilted down to the right.  On a bad drive you will see sharp drops.  The fewer programs running at the same time the better.  Pause your anti-virus.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

HDTune is from 2008 - the era BEFORE SSDs; UptoDate Hard Disk Sentinel says the the drive is perfect. You still recommend the HDTune procedure ?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yes.  This from my SSD:

hdtune.jpg

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Mine is significantly different from yours.

Attached Thumbnails

• HDTune.JPG