Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telegram Desktop converts a paste into an attachment

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think you save a lot of Memory if you don't run MightyText.

We can save a bit more:

Open Chrome and

Go to

chrome://settings/

Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced.

Now scroll to where it says System and turn off

Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed

Under

Privacy and security
More

turn off:

Preload pages for faster browsing and searching

That should cut down the number of Chrome.exe programs running.  Restart Chrome so that the changes take effect.  Then close it and check Process Explorer again.  Do you still see Chrome.exe running?

Advertisements

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I CAN do that, but then I would lose both MightyText and SendLeap which is a Chrome App. Haven't I already explained that MightyText is NOT launched from about the 20th of each month, and THIS PC does NOT improve then; what's more I've only very recently had SendLeap running as well, because of the inconsistency/unreliability of the others ?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

https://www.windowsc...sion-windows-10 has given me insights into the advantages of 64bit that I did not realise, and may well address my difficulties - I think you have indicated pressure on RAM, and I had a message from Bluestacks to that effect.

I am addicted to using WordPerfect for DOS as my writing tool - of course I use WORD where WordPerfect is inadequate.  The WordPerfect version I use runs in 64bit through a different mechanism than in 32bit - less user friendly. A program I would not be without is Kleptomania v5 - I would have to buy it anew for 64bit - IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE.

Also, since 64bit requires starting from scratch, it would be a tremendous effort to re-install and retweak all the third party programs.

But then, I already have a HDD with 64bit for this PC..... and with many programs already installed .....

says he, thinking hard about his options.....

Edited by Basty, 11 March 2021 - 11:36 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I've taken the bull by the proverbials, and tried my 64bit system - it recognises 14Gb of RAM [ALL my chips and ALL my slots viable !] and THIS PC opened without hesitation, so this may well be the solution to my problems; even with five CP-to-PC  programs open, there is NO hesitation with THIS PC.

The difficulties I envisaged are NOT with WordPerfect  - it works fine; Kleptomania, I will have to resubscribe to - if it is still available; but I may have to sacrifice something else that is dear to me. I will only know if I try....

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Interesting.  So probably a software problem after all.

Kleptomania is still around

https://sites.fastsp...stant/kleptoc50

US price is $19

There is a free download for a trial.  Perhaps if you download it it will accept your old license number and you won't need to buy a new one.

If you are sticking with the 64 bit version, what version number is it?  Settings, System, About and you should see the version number under Windows Specifications.

It it isn't at least 1909 or higher you should go to:

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

and hit Update Now then save and right click and run as admin.  then follow the instructions.   That's the fastest and surest way to get updated to the latest version.  (Can take hours for the full upgrade depending on your download speed)

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

"So probably a software problem after all." I'm amazed you say that when the experiment showed that with abundant RAM, there is no problem.

Because there is so much to tweak and update, I am back in the 32bit system now, and found the PC (Windows ?) telling me it could not read the drive - I fixed that by reducing the RAM to its original 4Gb - so I interpret that windows thought I had moved the disk to a different PC.

In the end, the only 'serious' downside was the cost of a new Kleptomania - cheaper than YOU quoted.

The Windows 64 bit is v20H2.

You MIGHT be interested that the Sendleap desktop app refused to recognise my Google credentials - EVEN THOUGH THE WEB APP WAS ALREADY OPEN. Sheer persistence eventually brought it to its senses, but Google sent me an email that my account had been RECOVERED - the fantasies these robots devise !

There is a lot of tweaking etc to do before the 64bit will replace the 32bit, but I am so impressed by the 'smooth operation' instead of intermittent faults, that I will make that effort.

'Something else that is dear to me' ALSO works with flying colours in 64bit, so I'm going to have no more reservations about the 'upgrade'.

As stated before, the original issue of corrupted pasting into Telegram, I found a work-around for; and through your patient investigation we appear to have fingered the culprit causing THIS PC to misbehave - lack of memory; I already had the hardware (RAM chips) and software (a 64bit system) to remedy the situation - which for now I consider successfully solved.

Once more, many thanks for sticking with it till the (bitter)sweet end.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

At one point a shortage of power was mooted, so I did invest in a slightly larger (up to 800 from 775 Watts max) NEW PSU. It arrived and I fitted it - at first with the wrong plug into the mobo socket, and the fan would not start, but once I corrected that, there has been improved performance all round. Time will tell if that persists, and therefore that the problem was lack of power all along.

I have since had another BSOD which was cured by pressing the contacts into the SSD.

Edited by Basty, 20 March 2021 - 12:35 AM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Several developments :

The original pasting problem into Telegram seems to be associated with images of single lines of text - if a larger area selected for pasting, it succeeds.

Since I replaced the power supply, BSODs and THIS PC misbehaviour have decreased to rare occurances.

I was able to fix a recurrance of thumbnail loss by unticking 'Display file icon on thumbnails' in Options;Folder  Options;View tab;

Mysterious how those settings change 'spontaneously'.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I often have to go back in and reset my screen timeout after a Windows update changes it from Never to 20 minutes.  Rather annoying since I use an old Sony smart TV as a monitor which will shut itself off if the PC turns off the screen.  Takes a good two minutes to boot back up.

Let's do new VEW logs and see if there is anything else to worry about.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Are these the settings you want ?

Attached Thumbnails

• VEW.JPG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You can also check the Critical box.  I usually just check Application or System and make two logs but it seems that now it allows you check both so you can just do one log.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Attached File  VEW.txt   42.74KB   86 downloads

Here we are - I may have overdone the attaching..

In the last two days there have been some NEW glitches - brief blacking out of the monitors; and even a BSOD this morning, so I removed the grafix card, wiped the contacts and replaced it in a different PCIe slot.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

SMMVSplitter is crashing regularly.

Bring up FRST but do not hit the SCAN button.  Instead put:

engine.exe;msvcrt.dll;SMMVSplitter_Business.exe;DivX.dll;edb.log;Mail.MSMessageStore;WebCacheV01.jfm

(feel free to copy the above and then move to the FRST search Box then Ctrl + v to paste it in)

in FRST's search box.  Hit Search Files.  You will get one log.  Please post.

I am seeing a crash but no BSOD.  

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/04/2021 2:31:01 AM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

No reason is given but there is this:

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/04/2021 11:29:51 PM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 16001 Source: AFD
A TDI filter (\Driver\networx) was detected. This filter has not been certified by Microsoft and may cause system instability.

so it would not hurt to uninstall networx to make sure it is not at fault.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Neither SMMVSplitter nor Networx are an issue. SMMVSplitter occasionally comes across a file it can not cope with, but that is no issue - I have work-arounds. Networx probably offends by not being 'uptodate', but it is the last USEFUL version that is free.

The 'blinking' I reported before, appears to have stopped since I 'worked on' the grafix card.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

My daughter is here this weekend.  We haven't been able to see each other since the virus started so I'm slow getting back to you and  won't be able to work on this much until she goes back Monday morning.  Your splitter is crashing because of this file:

C:\Windows\System32\divx.dll
[2018-07-25 09:16][2003-05-22 12:26] 000638976 _____ (DivXNetworks, Inc.) 902179013800F311AFF57CD5F29BE346 [File not signed]

Thought it might be leftover from a DIvd player install but I installed Divd player and didn't get one so I don't know where it comes from unless Splitter installed it.  I see you have a cracked version so no telling.

I checked a few other files that have caused problems for you in the past but they appear to be normal sized now.

networx got flagged by FRST because it wasn't signed.