Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keYBOARD Error

• Please log in to reply

loubob11

loubob11

• Pip
  • 2 posts

H^i

I'm h6oping5 someONE can h6eLP ME. As you can seE th6is is wh6at h6appeNS WH6En I'm typing5. I'm running5 windows 8.1 and th6is suddeNLy starteD A DAY AG5O. i'VE done SCANS, TRIEd g5oing5 INTO TH6 SEtting5 for th6 eKEyboard but can't work out wh6at's wrong5. 

th6is is wh6at h6appeNS WH6En I preSS TH6 CAPSLOCK....EeEeEeEe. iF i PREss H6 IT INCLUDEs a h6 and if I preSS H6 it incLUDEs h6. I can't log5 in to my siteS AS TH6 PASSWORDS AREn't reCOG5NISEd. 

I'm h6oping5 someONE can g5ive ME some ADVICE, I'm writing5 a book and can't possiblY DO IT AT THE momeNT. 

TH6ANKS IN ANTICIPATION.

mANDY.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Would help if you told us make & model of your PC.

Make sure number lock is not turned on:

https://www.top-pass...Disabled or Off.

As a work around you should be able to use the On-Screen Keyboard

https://support.micr...BBD=Windows_8.1

Even with a laptop you should be able to use an external USB keyboard so you might try that if number lock wasn't the problem.

Sometimes it helps to search for

device manager

hit Enter

click on the arrow in front of Keyboards.  Right click on the keyboard entry you find under Keyboards and Uninstall.  Reboot.  Windows will reinstall the keyboard and perhaps fix the problem.

You can also try searching for 

settings

hit Enter.

then click on Time & Language

then on Language

change the Windows Display Language from English US to English UK and see if that makes a difference.

Sometimes the keyboard on a laptop just goes bad.  You can test it with

https://www.passmark...ytest/price.php

It's a 30 day free trial.  Just hit Download then open the software and it will install.  This should show you if a key is stuck or broken.

Replacing a bad keyboard is possible tho can be a lot of work depending on the model.

loubob11

loubob11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi

Th6anks for th6 advice. mY LAPTOP IS AN ASUS X553M. i'LL TRY TH6E uninstall first and seE if th6at h6eLPS. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Already suggested;

Sometimes it helps to search for

device manager

hit Enter

click on the arrow in front of Keyboards.  Right click on the keyboard entry you find under Keyboards and Uninstall.  Reboot.  Windows will reinstall the keyboard and perhaps fix the problem.