Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System File Checker Error

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Dell E6540 / Win 10Pro / i7 processor / 500G SSD / 16mg RAM

Version 20H2 19042.746

Periodically after updates I will run chkdsk and sfc/scannow.  This time I received the following notification of error and repair.  Could an accidental shutdown (unplugged and took out battery before turning off computer).  The only occurrence that I know of that could have caused this is a accidental shutdown where “Windows did not properly shutdown.”  Would that have caused this error?  Difficult to decipher what was in the log.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Ran chkdsk and sfc/ scannow again - no errors

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

Ran chkdsk and sfc/ scannow again - no errors

Good deal on that

Windows does not like accidental shut downs, those can cause much problems such as corrupt files and un-bootable computer as well.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks.  Anything I need to do further check if everything is ok?  Or is that enough?

Also Windows 10 seems to do a lot of updates.  Should I just let it update as it happens or should I pause them to some future date (so they can work out the problems (if any)?

Edited by joseph456, 05 February 2021 - 05:01 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

No!    I don't think it's necessary to do anymore checking if you're not experiencing errors or issues ! 

Thanks

zep

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks Zep!

Not sure you saw this:

Also Windows 10 seems to do a lot of updates.  Should I just let it update as it happens or should I pause them to some future date (so they can work out the problems (if any)?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Not sure what to tell you there, personally i just let windows do its thing that being said i have never had an issue with a windows update so i have no fear.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Personally I do a restore point before I let windows do an update. For me it's just a preventative. I also make sure that my software program for images has created its latest image. It's just something I do.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Good practice ...

Also

You can create a restore point at any time, though Windows automatically creates a restore point once per week. It also creates a restore point right before a major system event, like installing a new device driver, app, or running Windows update.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks.  What is a good setting percent for System Restore.  Or - how much space should I allow Windows to use.  It is currently at 2%.  Also - what is the best way to check that performance is working at its best.  I usually check the Reliability Monitor which did not tell me there were some corrupt files.  I did not see that until I did SFC /Scannow