Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC boot - exits with 7B bsod, BadDriver error (Resolved)

Best Answer SleepyDude , 19 February 2021 - 12:01 PM

Hi, Just a heads-up, the error 7B can occur if a change was made on the BIOS configuration for the Hard Disk controller from IDE -> ACHI or the contrary! The mode selected on the BIOS... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

oldKal

oldKal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
Hair's turning white with a problem window 7 pc that won't boot. BSOD on boot gives me an error 7B without pointing to a problem driver or such which does nothing to narrow down the problem. In windows recovery environment have been able to rebuild bcd, check disk for errors, validate boot configurations and files, restore backup registry, all to no avail. Startup repair gives me an BadDriver error. SFC cannot run due to pending repairs but trying to remove pending actions with dism fails due to error 2 "unable to access image" despite the recovery environment finding the windows installation. Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Kal

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you start in Safe Mode

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi and thanks for your quick reply! 

No safe mode - system BSODs while classpnp.sys is on the bottom of the scrolling lines of loading drivers. Can only access the recovery environment by booting with the windows CD. Hard disk passed all integrity tests and fdisk corrected a few minor inconsistencies. 

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Another thing - I saw the 07b BSOD error by disabling the automatic reboot and that is as close as I got to the desktop... Read about all I could find about that error and the BadDriver errors that I could find. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Windows is either corrupt beyond repair or the drive has issue.

Is there any data on the drive that you need to try and back up.

Do you have a Windows 7 DVD installation disk or USB thumbdrive..

Is this a desktop or notebook.

Do you have assess to another computer, internet connection and USB thumbdrives.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page, 

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks again for your reply. I have been using the installation disk to get to the recovery tools and there is no problem backing up the data. I doubt that the disk is the problem as it has passed all the integrity tests. The situation that keeps me from advancing the troubleshooting is that there is an apparent pending repair which keeps me from using SFC but I am unable to cancel the pending repair which never takes place. Catch 22 situation.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you be sure to answer all questions that are asked

Is this a desktop or notebook.

Do you have assess to another computer, internet connection and USB thumbdrives.

What are the integrity tests to which you refer,

Is your Windows 7 DVD a genuine Microsoft disk, a back up that was created of the original install or is it something else.

I strongly suggest that you back up your data at the earliest convenience.

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sorry - desktop

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but you are making this difficult, there are four questions in my reply #7 yet you answered only one  :(

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

Just a heads-up, the error 7B can occur if a change was made on the BIOS configuration for the Hard Disk controller from IDE -> ACHI or the contrary!

The mode selected on the BIOS must match what was set at install time of Windows if not it will generate a BSOD with code 7b!

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yup, thanks, will double-check

oldKal

oldKal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sleepy - god bless you!  Settings reverted to IDE for some reason! ALL IS WELL!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

:yeah: I found that problem frequently... when the HDD passes the tests usually this is the problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Good shout SleepyDude  :thumbsup: