Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR RAM question

• Please log in to reply

SharkBite

SharkBite

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
If you install incorrect or incompatible RAM can it cause damage to the mother board? Now I dont mean physical damage... it is similar to what I have ..(in fact it is probably close to the same).
I am being at bit lazy at the moment and have not actually looked at the RAM i have installed but I have the packet it came in...... it says ' DDR-400 PC3200 DIMM Desktop Module 512MB'.
I have been given another 512 strip that has these specs ' 512MB 64Mx72-bit DDR400 ECC CL3 184-Pin DIMM'
My motherboard it a GA-K8VM800M (gigabyte) and has room for another 512MB strip.
Firstly Can I install this RAM? if so is one better than the other? (I may be able to get another of the second type). And finally ...if the RAM is faulty can it fry the motherboard?
Thanks.... John.

Advertisements

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
wot does ddr mean

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
SharkBite,

I don't believe you will have any problems with your motherboard if you install an improper RAM module. If they are incompatible it will either have troubles booting, or it will show that you still only have 512 in your machine. If this is the case, just remove the new RAM and get a different type.

screwy looie,

DDR stands for "Double Data Rate." It is also known as DDR SDRAM. It is better than regular SDRAM; "Single Data Rate." In DDR RAM, data is transfered on both the rising and falling parts of data bursts, effectively doubling the bandwidth/speed of the standard SDRAM

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
cool

SharkBite

SharkBite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I put the new RAM in by itself.... it booted up ok..ran xp ok...then I tried to run battlefield 1942.... it showed the opening movie and the trailer ok but when I tried to start a game ,, I got rebooted.....
Would that be a compatibility prob or a bad RAM stick?