Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinZip problems

• Please log in to reply

pinkyeti

pinkyeti

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm new on this site and I have a problem with a .zip file I need to extract. It's supposed to be a .cab file after extraction. But If I try to extract it, I get an error message that says winzip can't open the file because it is not conform with the Windows cab format. It furthermore says that "Signaturebytes" are missing. Any welp would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Usually .cab files are a collection of files that are already compressed. So I don't really think that you can Zip a .cab file, it won't compress any further.

"O"

pinkyeti

pinkyeti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It tells me in the error message it is a .cab file. Maybe I'll try to mount the .zip file.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Someone has zipped a .cab file for uploading. But Winzip is confused, not programmed to deal with that. You might be better off to just locate the original cab file and download it, or copy it from a disk. In some OSs they are found in windows\options\cabs, so you may have thrm in your computer.

BTW .cab files are operating system files, so they aren't really compressed, they are bundled. Compressing them would corrupt the files, making them unusable. Also, I find WinRaR to be a much more usefull tool when working with .cab files as you can choose to view the individual files as well as the folder, without extracting anything. :tazz:

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

BTW .cab files are operating system files, so they aren't really compressed, they are bundled. Compressing them would corrupt the files, making them unusable. Also, I find WinRaR to be a much more usefull tool when working with .cab files as you can choose to view the individual files as well as the folder, without extracting anything.  :tazz:

View Post

Sorry, my mistake I always thought that cab files were compressed to a degree. If they are just bundled together, then why not simply put them in a folder? Could it just be a M$ thing? ;)

"O"

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Sorry, my mistake I always thought that cab files were compressed to a degree. If they are just bundled together, then why not simply put them in a folder? Could it just be a M$ thing?  ;)

"O"

View Post

The files that can be compressed without corrupting them, like .txt are compressed, but most of the stuff is operating system files. One reason why they are bundled is they need to be extracted to different locations, the instructions for doing that is in the batch file used to extract them. And yes, it's an M$ thing too, if they were just in folders you could just copy Windows from the disk. :tazz: