Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitions on 'C' drive. (SOLVED)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I was recently looking at my drives in Macrium Reflect and noticed that there are 7 partitions. As I am not aware of what should be there, I thought I would ask for advice but I don’t remember there being so many before.

In the image attached I have marked C drive in case the image is difficult to see.

I do clone my drives, could this be connected? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• C.Drive with partitions.jpg

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Can you take another screen shot and upload it again. It is really blurry and impossible to read.

Cloning a drive is not going to create more partitions. A clone is a complete copy of a drive to a separate drive.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have increased the resolution. Is this better?

Attached Thumbnails

• drives ss2.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Here is an explanation of why you may have more than one Recovery partition. 

https://win10.guru/why-do-i-have-multiple-recovery-partitions-the-explanation/ 

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for that. So it seems it is not really a problem, though it does make you wonder why Microsoft did it that way.

I'll probably leave things as they are for now, but am I correct in thinking from what I read that the three recovery partitions to the right of C drive are in fact redundant? I also wonder why the first recovery partition didn't use the C drive to expand into. Either way I see that it is not really a fault which was my concern.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi, thanks for that. 

I'll probably leave things as they are for now, but am I correct in thinking from what I read that the three recovery partitions to the right of C drive are in fact redundant? 

NO.   One of them is current and any others are redundant, as is the first one on the disk; which one I do not know  so wise to leave well alone.

I also wonder why the first recovery partition didn't use the C drive to expand into. Either way I see that it is not really a fault which was my concern.

The first recovery is blocked from expanding into the C: partition by the EFI sys partition. 

There has been a change in how (W10 only) is now installed; ​implemented in the most recent build of W10, 

https://win10.guru/t...-windows-setup/

If you perform a clean install of W10 using an old installation Disk, or old Media created from an old ISO, you will still get multiple Recovery partitions when windows is updated to a new build through Windows Update.

If you are performing a clean install of (W10 only), and you want the newer partitioning style, you will need to download the ISO with the latest Windows build and create new media installer. 

You will only get the new partition table in W10 Build Version 2004 or later.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

HI, OK, and thanks for the info; I will be leaving it as it is, happy knowing it is not an actual fault, and will be keeping the information you have given me for any future installations.

Regards,

Steve.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are very welcome.