Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shopping for a New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am currently shopping for a new laptop and I hope I can get some good advice on what to buy.  Right now I have an Acer Aspire E 15.6" Core i5 2.20 GHz, 5th generation with 8GB ram that was purchased in 2015.  I also have a 13" Acer Spin i5 1.6 GHz, 8th generation touch screen with 8GB ram that I bought late in 2019.  I am looking to update the former.
I run a lot of applications (I am a daytrader) and need speed / multitasking as my number priority.  Here are my priorities:

-speed, and more speed with extensive multi-tasking capability
-I want a 15.6" screen so that if I use it on my own without a monitor, it has decent size to it
-Intel i5 or i7 with a minimum of 8GB ram essential
-I want an SSD, storage space not a major issue although 512GB would be better than 256GB 
-PRICE: I do not have a specific budget except that I would like to keep it as low as possible (I don't want to pay over $1,000 with taxes
-Warranty: longer with better service is better without having to pay extra for it
-Brand: I honestly have no preference - although my last 3 laptops have been Acers (likely because I have gotten the best bang for the buck)
-Open box or refurbished would be fine as long as the warranty is sufficient
-I think I have listed everything I can think of other than the fact that I am in Canada and that can be a major factor when purchasing online in terms of price / shipping etc.  
-In other words, a Canadian retailer is important in most cases

When I was shopping for last laptop and ended up with my Acer Spin, I was seeking a smaller laptop (under 13" or smaller) with a touch screen.  The fact it had tablet functionality is a bonus.  The fact that I wanted a touch screen definitely limited my options and drove the price up.  This time around, I am looking for a larger laptop (15.6") and a touch screen is not necessary (although I love the function!).  I am hopeful that this will increase my options greatly and also provide me with a lot more choices.  I have considered a desktop but I think that at this point in time, a 15.6" laptop will do the trick.  I am of the mentality that if I can get a really good price on a machine with the specs I am looking for, it is worth it.  By that I mean I would rather pay $500 and get something good than having to pay $1000 just because it's not an open box, a refurbished machine, or has a better name.  The extra $ I don't need to spend could be very useful for other things - even an additional laptop in our home or a monitor.  I have been scouring sites like Amazon, Best Buy, Staples, and Costco, to name a few.  I appreciate any suggestions or links based on my needs.  

THANKS. 

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello capper,

Some ideas in the link below..

https://www.laptopma...tops-under-1000

capper

capper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

zep516, thanks for the link.  What's your take on this one?

https://www.thesourc...id=sPexa3Rar8sw