Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop hangs often [Solved]

Firefox Chrome Kaspersky CCleaner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Thanks, Hari P.

Something to correct in the fix:

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user. Running it on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

• Please select the entire contents of the code box below, from the "Start::" line to "End::", including both lines. Right-click and select "Copy ". No need to paste anything to anywhere.
Start::
CloseProcesses:
cmd: type C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\kl_config_62fbb8f7_c917_4cf7_957a_aad2b8fa768c.cfg
End::
  • Please right-click on FRST64 on your Desktop, to run it as administrator. When the tool opens, click "yes" to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Fix button once and wait.
  • FRST will process fixlist.txt
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your Desktop.
  • Please post the log in your next reply.

Any other question/concern regarding this computer?

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi

Here's the Fixlog file.

Attached Files

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Hari.

My fault again! :bashhead:

This is the right fix:

CloseProcesses:
cmd: type "C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\kl_config_62fbb8f7_c917_4cf7_957a_aad2b8fa768c.cfg"

Could you please copy it and run FIX again?

Thanks!

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi, Hari.

My fault again! :bashhead:

This is the right fix:

CloseProcesses:
cmd: type "C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\kl_config_62fbb8f7_c917_4cf7_957a_aad2b8fa768c.cfg"

Could you please copy it and run FIX again?

Thanks!

Will do, Boss. Just noticed that Chrome hangs but Firefox doesn't. I've uninstalled Chrome now.  I'll run Fix again now.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi DR M

Here's the Fixlog. 

Two questions for curiosity's sake:

1. Is there a good alternative to QBittorrent?  The Guvmint is planning on censoring OTT content on sources such as Netflix, resulting in us hearing more beeps than dialogues.

2. When audio files are played, I get scratchy sounds along with the music.  Would it be a hardware problem?

Thanks again.

Attached Files

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Hari.

The fixlog is fine now. :)

Those preferences set in Firefox have to do with Kaspersky, that's why they returned after we removed them. So we leave them there.

Regarding your questions:

1. Is there a good alternative to QBittorrent?

qBittorrent and alternatives are P2P programs.

As I wrote before,

P2P programs form a direct conduit on to a computer. They have always been a target of malware writers and are increasingly so of late. P2P security measures are easily circumvented and if your P2P program is not configured correctly, you may be sharing more files than you realize. There have been cases where people's passwords, address books and other personal, private, and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured program. If you don't uninstall it, your computer will probably get infected again, as soon as you use it again. But it is your computer and of course your decision.

Considering the above, why do you want to put your computer and yourself in such a risk?

2. When audio files are played, I get scratchy sounds along with the music.  Would it be a hardware problem?

It could be an issue with computer's microphones. You can check this by inserting external speakers and see if those sounds are present. If the problem persists, you can ask for help in this forum. I'm sure someone will guide you there regarding this problem.

=====================================

How is the computer running now?

Any other issue?

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi Dr M

Thanks once again for your timely and invaluable assistance.  Your instructions regarding QBittorent and the speakers have been noted.  I will just forget about QBittorrent and contact the appropriate forum for the microphone issues.

Thanks again and warm regards from India.

Edited by Hari Prahlad, 15 March 2021 - 08:30 PM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Good morning, Indiaaaa!

Good morning, Hari. :)

Although the computer is now clean and working fine, I would like to ask you if there is any problem with Windows updates.

From your logs, you are running with version 2004, while the most recent Windows 10 update is 20H2. There are some signs that there may be a problem.

I would suggest you to go for the latest update, using the media tool by Microsoft. This is called in-place upgrade. The procedure will reinstall and update the operating system and fix any corruptions or problems (if any), without removing any file or program.

1. Go to this Microsoft page and under the title Create Windows 10 installation media press on Download tool now.
2. Save the tool on your Desktop and double click to run it.
3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
4. On the What do you want to do page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
6. Follow the instructions and select Keep personal files and apps, when you are asked to.
7. It might take a couple of hours, depending on your wifi speed connection, to install Windows 10. Your PC will restart a few times. Make sure you don’t turn off your PC.
8. After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC.

Please report if you experienced any problem.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

NOTE:

I would suggest to wait to finish here, and then proceed to any other actions regarding to the audio problem.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Will do, DR M. Starting the Microsoft stuff now.

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Will do, DR M. Starting the Microsoft stuff now.

OK! :thumbsup:

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi DR M

Microsoft part is over.  The portion ran till 2 AM last night and I dropped off to sleep after that. It's now 7:30 AM IST.  What ought to be done now, please?  System is noticeably faster now.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hello, Hari.

It seems that you are 3.5 hours ahead me.

Just to ensure that everything went fine, please attach fresh FRST logs once more, Addition.txt and FRST.txt.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hello DR M

Here are the logs.

Attached Files

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Hari.

Everything seems fine.

Let's get into the home stretch.

1. FRST fix

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user. Running it on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

• Please select the entire contents of the code box below, from the "Start::" line to "End::", including both lines. Right-click and select "Copy ". No need to paste anything to anywhere.
CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
URLSearchHook: [S-1-5-21-3076391084-2480122960-4283986350-1004] ATTENTION => Default URLSearchHook is missing
BHO: IEToEdge BHO -> {1FD49718-1D00-4B19-AF5F-070AF6D5D54C} -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.52\BHO\ie_to_edge_bho_64.dll => No File
S3 MicrosoftEdgeElevationService; "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.52\elevation_service.exe" [X]
ContextMenuHandlers5: [igfxcui] -> {3AB1675A-CCFF-11D2-8B20-00A0C93CB1F4} =>  -> No File
EmptyTemp:
  • Please right-click on FRST64 on your Desktop, to run it as administrator. When the tool opens, click "yes" to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Fix button once and wait.
  • FRST will process fixlist.txt
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your Desktop.
  • Please post the log in your next reply.

2. About slowness

Perhaps you find your computer a bit slow. This is something you have to expect:
You have 4GB RAM and 93% of it is in use. So, you may consider to increase it.

Here you can run a free RAM wizard to determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. You download and run a small program, which will scan your computer and then recommend compatible RAM. You don't have to buy from them, but you can find out how much RAM the computer can accept.

3. Tools removal

The following tool will remove the tools we used as well as reset system restore points:

Download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.

In your next reply please post:

1. The fixlog.txt
  2. The kprm.txt
  3. Any remaining question