Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect a second screen to my laptop (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 13 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

Ideally you need to check this adapter using another screen, a TV that has an appropriate HDMI port will do, if that works you know that the issue is between the adapter and the Dell screen. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hi,

I want connect a fairly old Dell second screen to my Lenovo ideapad 330 laptop, but so far the laptop does not recognise the screen when I connect it.

--------------------------------------

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Geekimnot,

Can you tell us what if anything has already been tried, no point in us suggesting things already done.

Your notebook only has the one external video port and that is the HDMI type, does your as you describe "fairly old Dell second screen" have a HDMI port or are you using some sort of adaptor.

Tip

Please make sure that when you start any new thread that it is post on the appropriate forum, moved your OP from the How-To Guides and Tutorials to the more appropriate hardware forum as the former is where members post guides for others and not for any kind of assistance.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I purchased a USB-C Multiport Adaptor.it ,has HDMI and VGA output, my screen has only a VGA port. When I connect the screen my Laptop does not show it being connected.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hello Geekimnot,

Can you tell us what if anything has already been tried, no point in us suggesting things already done.

Your notebook only has the one external video port and that is the HDMI type, does your as you describe "fairly old Dell second screen" have a HDMI port or are you using some sort of adaptor.

Tip

Please make sure that when you start any new thread that it is post on the appropriate forum, moved your OP from the How-To Guides and Tutorials to the more appropriate hardware forum as the former is where members post guides for others and not for any kind of assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Got a link to this adapter, some are only intended for Macs, some are good and some are a complete rip off.

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply as we have to read the full post to make sure nothing gets missed,, thanks.

Edit to add: You never mentioned anything that you may have tried already.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

This is the adapter that I purchased.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reading the text again I note the it mentions the MAC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That looks to be one of the better ones and it does say that it is compatible with some non Mac computers as well.

Third time of asking, can you tell us what if anything you have tried already.

In addition to the above;

Is the Dell screen known to be in 100% working condition.

What actually happens when you try this, anything showing at all on the Dell monitor to suggest that it recognises that there is some sort of video cable attached.

It is entirely possible that the Dell monitor will not work with any type of adaptor, this quite common on older screens but less so on the more modern ones.

Any reason why you did not use one of the example type video cable here

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Yes the Dell screen is in full working order and no I have tried nothing else.

I can order one of the HDMI to VDA cables and try that, the other alternative is to purchase a new screen. The Dell is about 10 years old.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What actually happens when you try this, anything showing at all on the Dell monitor to suggest that it recognises that there is some sort of video cable attached.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Sorry about that, should pay better attention.

The laptop makes a bleep when the adaptor is connected, the screen does not react at all, and nothing shows on the laptop devices.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Nothing on the notebook screen either, that is odd in itself as what good is the adaptor in the first place if it knocks out the notebook screen  :(

To get an external screen to work on your notebook you need to press down the Fn key + the projector hotkey which you should find on your top row of keys, allowing for the Esc key being key one the projector hot key may be key eleven, it will have an image of a screen etched on it, press the two keys down at the same time in any event.

Advertisements

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

What I should have said was that nothing shows when you bring up the Devices window, the screen stays on OK on the laptop.

Thanks for that, unfortunately I need to go out for a while, I will try again this evening.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I have pressed the  the Fn key + the projector hotkey and when the display came up I selected to connect a second screen, the screen did not connect so I followed the instructions and asked it to find the device. it did not find it and I went through all the routines suggested, still no joy, so I presume that the screen is too old.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ideally you need to check this adapter using another screen, a TV that has an appropriate HDMI port will do, if that works you know that the issue is between the adapter and the Dell screen.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Thank you phillpower2

I connected the TV and it came up straight away. So problem solved except that I need to purchase a new screen.

Once again thank you.

End post