Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two computers different download speeds

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

I have an HP laptop and checked its drivers against yours.  Camera is exactly the same,  Under Sound Controllers, the AMD is also the same but the Realtek is much newer.  It's dated April 22, 2020 and is version 6.0.8940.1

See if it will work on yours:

https://ftp.hp.com/p...00/sp104077.exe

Advertisements

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Thank you for that last update. Downloaded and installed and haven't had any error messages. I cannot see any difference in performance though as today's lesson saw the familiar lagging when trying to open emails and word documents with Skype conference, Whatsapp (background) Google Translate (being used) and Outlook  all open. 

Edited by Zanshin, 11 May 2021 - 04:11 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

Many years ago we used to have a problem with Ethernet configuration where one side of the circuit was set at Full Duplex and the other at Auto.  This would cause the link to set up at Half Duplex.  The result would be that traffic in one direction would be normal but the other direction would be much slower because of a lot of collisions because after a collisions the packet would have to be resent.  I wonder if something like that could be happening here.  Open an Elevated Command Prompt and type:

netstat -e > \junk.txt
notepad  \junk.txt

Should be something like:

Interface Statistics 
                          Received            Sent

Bytes                    1997290724       977591392
Unicast packets           272434824        47959616
Non-unicast packets        14205064          694476
Discards                      12384               0
Errors                            0               0
Unknown protocols                 0

If we have any Errors then we may have a problem.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

This was performed with nothing running except Outlook email open and VLC streaming IPTV. Do you want this done again under full load on Thursday morning?

Interface Statistics

Received            Sent

Bytes                    3697947568      1076168820
Unicast packets            54213400        17757060
Non-unicast packets          180448           18668
Discards                       3084               0
Errors                            0               0
Unknown protocols                 0

Edited by Zanshin, 11 May 2021 - 11:38 PM.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Update.

Yesterday I decided to re-download the AMD Adrenalin 2021 driver you posted for me and it did download ok and  no problems with VLC playback media streaming. Since then, even though my speed test shows full, 95 down and 110 up I tried to download a 37mb file this AM and it took 20 minutes. Normally less than 10 seconds. I am about to uninstall that new driver. 

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

The AMD Adrenalin was like a player suite included and was a PITA with popups everywhere and in the end I tried to uninstall it. It wouldn;t let me so I did a Sys Rest back to the 5th of May. My file downloading problem has now disappeared and I can download 250 meg file in 30 seconds. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

Does latency Monitor still look bad when Skype is running?

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Sorry for the delay, had a hospital visit Tuesday and class was cancelled.

Full Skype video conference running, plus Outlook which again took absolutely ages to open a Word document, Google Translate being used and also  Whatsapp running in the back ground. 

Still have the anomaly of downloading film clips. Even with speed test showing full download speeds, one day it can take 15/20 seconds to down load a 200mb clip and another day it can take 20 minutes plus. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-05-20 113930.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

I went back and looked at your benchmark.  The CPU score was dismal but the CPU was 49% busy at the time.  Let's do another benchmark.  Make sure there is nothing running and pause your antivirus while the benchmark is running.  If it still scores super low we may want to look at the settings in the power plan.

Let's get a benchmark:

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Click on Free Download.  Save the file then right click and Run As Admin.  Close all programs and pause your antivirus before starting.

When it finishes it will open a browser.  Copy the URL and paste it into a Reply.

Make sure your PC is set to High Performance.  Windows makes it hard to do that but there is a way:

https://tunecomp.net...-power-options/

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

My own power plan was actually the same as the recommended one in the tune-up, 15 mins. Never. Never. Never. All else completed. 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43304042 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

This benchmark is much better than the first.  The Memory seems to be the only weak spot.  Normally I would say reseat the RAM (or maybe even replace it) and see if that helped but it's hard to get to the RAM on an HP.  The benchmark program says to enable XMS in the BIOS but I don't think HP's dumbed down BIOS has that option.

Wouldn't hurt to look at your BIOS tho and maybe look to see if there are any options that speed up or slow things down that are not shown in:

https://support.hp.c...ument/c00034791

Also check to see what version of the BIOS you have.  Is it the latest version shown in

https://support.hp.c...top-pc/15551430

F.14 Rev.A?  If not it wouldn't hurt to update the BIOS.

Also sometimes helps to reset the BIOS to defaults.  (Record the settings before you do in case something happens so you can put things back)

Look at Task Manager (right click on the clock and select Task Manager), Performance, Memory.  Then look in the bottom right.  What speed does it say? 

mem.jpg

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Have done a BIOS update.

Am using HP Support Assistant to hopefully speed up the system

Memory speed attached. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-06-05 211552.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,838 posts
  • MVP

Does the benchmark look any better?

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I can't remember what the parameters were for running the bench mark and did this one at an early hour with VLC streaming, Outlook open and Whatsapp running in the back ground. I will do another now with everything shut down.

https://www.userbenc...serRun/43671914

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

The attached speedtest was done with Outlook open, VLC streaming and Whatsapp running in the back ground, a vast improvement of several weeks ago. 

Although any recent speed tests are showing full down and upload speeds (the highest they have ever been, which is a bonus in itself,) actual downloading is still far below the speed of the other laptop and response time for opening programmes/apps, internet pages etc is still badly lacking. 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43672027 

Attached Thumbnails

• Opera Snapshot_2021-06-07_070044_www.testdevelocidad.es.png

Edited by Zanshin, 06 June 2021 - 11:06 PM.