Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two computers different download speeds

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,784 posts
  • MVP

OK.  You need to get the

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver (Windows 10 v1803)
    6.0.1.8393 Rev.L

Can I see a new Process Explorer log when you are done?   Remember to wait a full minute before saving the log

Advertisements

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

So, a few glitches. I downloaded...or tried to...Realtek new driver/s as above but the programme hung more than once. Finally downloaded and installed. Rebooted and the desktop would not populate at all and froze with the error message, "Radeon Software Host Application stopped working. Couldn't reboot via normal method, had to hard shutdown with off button. Finally rebooted, desktop again took a while but did populate in the end, but again with the same error message. Everything SEEMS to be currently working but I haven't used a variation of apps/programmes to know if everything still functions.

I had nothing at all running when the Processor screen shot was taken except one open internet window so no load at all on the system. Please specify if you want Processor screen shot under full normal load as per my class usage. 

Lastly, I have completely uninstalled Gridinsoft Trojan Killer from the system. I don't know what has happened to or within the company but I have never experienced such dismal backup service. Three weeks ago I reported this speed problem to them to see if it was Trojan Killer causing it. I had one reply over a week ago telling me the Tech Dept had been passed the problem. Previously I had always enjoyed excellent back up.

So, I have Windows Defender protecting now but as discussed before, have similar problem under load but not as bad and also download speed at max when not under load.

Latest update. 13.45.

Radeon Software App not working. Can't open any image file from desktop with double click and even right click sub menu won't display properly.

Going to uninstall and reinstall Adrenalin. 

Managed to attach a set of simulated speedtests through the upload facility here, but AFTER today's lesson on Skype video. 

1st test. Two web pages open only. 

2nd test. Two web pages open, attempting to connect on Skype video.

3rd test. Two web pages open, Skype attempting to connect, Whatsapp opened and running in the back ground.

4th test. Two web pages open, Skype attempting to connect, Whatsapp opened and running in the back ground, opening and viewing Word document in Outlook email. 

On Thursday I will do a set of speed tests under actual conditions and also a Processor snapshot. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Opera Snapshot_2021-04-27_133733_www.testdevelocidad.es.png

Attached Files

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

At this moment I am trying to re download Adrenalin and have had a black screen instead of my desktop for ten minutes.. Luckily there is a grey square bottom left which responds to these web pages I have open.

Edit. Desktop has come back and currently reinstalling 4 drivers. Just wondering if one of the 4 is incompatible. We'll see.

Further update. After a few long black screens and rebooting several times, my graphics seem to have come back to normal.

Yet another update. Can't open a Word document in My Documents, error, Windows explorer stopped responding. 

Desktop images taking ages to open now.

Big conflicts since installing that last Audio driver. 

The earlier problem I had with right click on a desktop image has gone but the same is happening when trying to open a word document. Right click, Open With but there is no sub menu

Too many conflicts since this mornings audio driver download. Going to do another system restore to yesterday. 

Edited by Zanshin, 27 April 2021 - 09:05 AM.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Latest update after a totally disastrous sequence of events. Now using old laptop. 

Did a system restore to two days ago. Rebooted. Needed to uninstall Gridinsoft again. Uninstall successful.

Went to check desktop images to see if graphics were working ok. Tried to open one and...black screen. Moments later, blue screen of death with error message "Critical Process Died. Stop Code Error".Shut down straight away but as was doing that there was a buzzing noise from the computer for a few seconds. Another black screen. Rebooted again with on/off button. Starts to reboot and it went into start up system diagnosis for repair. Up comes another blue screen. Cannot repair your computer. Options: Turn Off or Advanced. I go to Advanced then the screen went blue again and no response. Currently shut down.

CXan reboot but stuck in a loop. Diagnostic. Startup repair. Cannot repair your computer.

Will  not boot into any Safe Mode. Not even with Windows key + F8.

I have no boot or repair disc.

Edited by Zanshin, 27 April 2021 - 09:28 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,784 posts
  • MVP

Could it have overheated?  Perhaps once things cool off it will work?

Too bad things went wrong.  Your last Process Explorer log was really good.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

No signs of overheating. My old laptop did that and could be felt on the casing around the keyboard. 

Edited by Zanshin, 27 April 2021 - 09:33 AM.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Is that it then?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,784 posts
  • MVP

Usually you can get it to work again by downloading a bootable copy of Win 10:

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Scroll down to Download Tool Now.

Read the instructions for:

Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)

Once you have the USB move to the sick PC and boot off it.  It should offer to repair your existing installation of Windows.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Currently having to do a new windows 10 install hopefully with partition for Windows Old.

Can I get back to you if needed or is this close of event? Thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,784 posts
  • MVP

Come back if you need to.  I don't close out topics unless the original poster asks me to.

Advertisements

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Well sir, it seems even after a new install of Windows 10 and updating, (and thank you kindly for the rescue disk information) it seems I still have the same/similar problem, speeds are way back down during this mornings lesson under full load. 

I have also attached a Processor shot (after 1 minute of opening).

Skype in full conference. Outlook open although it and word documents within are opening much much quicker. Whatsapp open and being used. Google translate also 

EDIT. Apparently between last night an now, there is a long list of updates, am installing now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Opera Snapshot_2021-04-29_111652_www.testdevelocidad.es.png

Attached Files

Edited by Zanshin, 29 April 2021 - 05:16 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,784 posts
  • MVP

Opera, Skype and Interrupts are all way too high.

Did you go to the HP support site and download the latest drivers after the reinstall?

I think we need to run Latency Monitor again to see if we can figure out which driver is causing the problem.

Go to

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Scroll down to

System Monitoring Tools

and then find

LatencyMon 7.0 (or it may be a higher number if they update)

Click on Download free home edition

Save it then right click and Run As Admin.  It will install and then start the program.  
It will tell you to click on the Start button but there isn't one.  
Instead click on the green arrowhead (looks like a Play button).   Let it run for at least 20 seconds.  Then hit the red box to stop it.

Edit, Copy Report text to Clipboard then move to a REPLY and Ctrl + v to paste the text into a reply.  

Click on the Drivers Tab.  Click on the column header for "Total execution (ms)" once or twice until the biggest numbers are at the top of the column then take a screen shot (save as type jpg) and attach it.  
Click on the Processes tab then click on the  "Hard Pagefaults" column header once or twice until the big numbers are at the top of the column.  Take a screen shot (save as type jpg) and attach it.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Went to HP yesterday. A number of the updates were old and for Windows version 1707 and 1803.

Updated Bios for 2020.

Lan for 2019 updated.

Seagate HD Firmware kept getting Fatal Error when trying to install.

AMD had five or six updates which after installing all the above and rebooting left my graphics system crashed again. One of the AMD updates AGAIN at fault. Although the graphics quality whilst streaming was hugely noticeable, half of the picture (streaming TV, films and even video clips from my archives) was two-tone pink and green and all pixelated. So, To cure the graphics problems I had to do a System Restore which obviously undid all the HP updates. Since then I have been doing innumerable Windows updates and completed some short while ago. 

Have been back to HP and updated a Lan, BIOS and Bluetooth, all the rest are old drivers for Windows 1803. 

Latency Monitor at this stage below. Total Executions attached. 

Will now reboot to update Bios Lan and BTooth

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:00  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-25EA0GS
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                             HP Laptop 17-ak0xx, HP
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 
Logical processors:                                   2
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  7645 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   2495 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   463.60
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   8.107511

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       422.70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3.343042

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              199.215230
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.071968
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.154234

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   14590
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):               0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              547.339880
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.578664
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          1.281618

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   99424
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              72
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 compattelrunner.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       629
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          582
Number of processes hit:                              12

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.877747
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                199.215230
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.148308
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      11507
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                460.293387
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.183872
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      80215
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.961344
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                148.193988
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.039666
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      3083
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                547.339880
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.378113
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      19281

Attached Thumbnails

• image_2021-04-30_201838.png

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Latency test post Bios, Lan and BTooth update. I have downloaded but not installed AMD driver, but it isn't the version that you gave me. Advice needed on this. 

CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:00:31  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-25EA0GS
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                             HP Laptop 17-ak0xx, HP
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 
Logical processors:                                   2
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  7645 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   2495 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   394.70
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   9.057974

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       349.40
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       4.291887

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              142.579559
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.063737
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.124112

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   6040
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):               0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              526.022445
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.856055
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          1.519368

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   53727
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              67
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       30
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          10
Number of processes hit:                              9

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.792402
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                125.807214
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.055310
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      4207
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                526.022445
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.771086
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      46383
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.678204
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                142.579559
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.023035
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      1833
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                406.493788
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.187999
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      7411

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Speed tests from post Bios and HP updates and reboot.

Light internet work speeds are high but even trying a test opening of Outlook took ages for the programme to open and  get into an email and then open a Word document which I was doing whilst running these speed tests. After anew install of Windows I would have expected a lot of the system to be lightning fast. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Opera Snapshot_2021-04-30_220439_www.testdevelocidad.es.png