Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icons rearranged after reboot

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

As of a couple days ago my desktop icons are jumbled around whenever I boot my PC after shutting down the night prior. I tried playing NieR Automata on Steam, and after adjusting the display resolution and switching it to fullscreen I alt+tabbed out and it moved my icons around. I fixed it afterwards, made the resolution smaller, and thought it was all fine. Now, whenever I start my PC the icons are moved from where they were.

It looks like it's placing them as though my screen resolution was 1920x1080 even though it's set to 2560x1440.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello GhostLoad,

Try this if you have not done so.... there are a few different reasons this can happen...

Step 1: Right-click the empty space on the desktop, then select View and uncheck Align icons to grid.

Step 2: If not, then uncheck Auto arrange icons from the View option and everything will work out.

Reboot your PC and see if the “desktop icons rearranged after rebooting” issue has been fixed.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hello GhostLoad,

Try this if you have not done so.... there are a few different reasons this can happen...

Step 1: Right-click the empty space on the desktop, then select View and uncheck Align icons to grid.

Step 2: If not, then uncheck Auto arrange icons from the View option and everything will work out.

Reboot your PC and see if the “desktop icons rearranged after rebooting” issue has been fixed.

Already tried those steps yesterday to no avail 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
✓  Best Answer

More ideas here,

https://www.minitool...ons-moving.html

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I tried everything on the list except the last one, with no positive results. I'll see if doing that 4th option is a solution, fingers crossed.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Let us know.  Also an idea here from the Microsoft forum....

https://answers.micr...c9-786c4f75a383

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Let us know.  Also an idea here from the Microsoft forum....

https://www.minitool...ons-moving.html

So far, it seems like the 4th method on that link (though automatic search didn't work for me) seems to have solved the issue. Hopefully it doesn't pop up. Thanks for the link.

Edited by GhostLoad, 18 April 2021 - 06:14 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello,

this method below.

Method 4: Update Display Drivers (Graphic Card)

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hello,

this method below.

Method 4: Update Display Drivers (Graphic Card)

Yeah, though step 4 (automatic search) did nothing for me. I had to manually look for it on my computer.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Okay. Hope that holds for you. I was beginning to think it was the  screen resolution since you messed with that, although personally I don't know why screen resolution would have anything to with it.......

Keep us informed of further events !