Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I hook up a second router

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

I'll try and make this as short as possible. 

What I have on hand:

2 routers

Asus Ac 1900 dual band (in use)

Netgear63

1 Modem

Arris TM1602(Spectrum Cable)

1 Ethernet cable (50+ ft.)

What I want to do ;

Hook up my Netgear router to test new security cameras before leaving my home(My service I have now has failed me 4x this year. Hence new security cameras). Staying elsewhere for a while but I am taking the Asus router with when I go. I want to make sure I won't need an extender to reach all cameras around my home with decent signals through the Netgear router.

I'm not a newbie at this but I'm not a geek either. Any help in what I need or how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance

BT

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 120037.gif

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello bigtrucks,

Any help here while we wait for a reply... Wish I could guide you but just not at all familiar    with the set up.. 

https://www.cctvcame...ter. More items

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hello zep516,

Thanks for the response and link although I know how to setup cameras. I'm sorry for the confusion. I guess I didn't explain it properly.

I need to set up a second router if possible to test the new cameras. I have a dual band in use now and it's to it's max load with devices.

I wanted to know if I can have 2 routers going at the same time  and if so how to set it up.

Thanks

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Okay thanks for the correction, sorry I can't still answer your question hopefully someone comes along though.....

What do you mean the service failed 4x this year ?  What happened ?

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
When I set the video rules/schedule on my now cameras it doesn't comply after a while. I've called their techs on several occasions since last year But it keeps reacurring. The last time I called they had me on the phone for at least 45 minutes trying different this/settings. The tech was even confused as to why it was doing it.what the system was doing was recording repeatedly every movement without it being armed. The schedule was set Not to record when not armed. It started again and I had to unplug it go into settings and turn off the schedule completely. I received over 24 notifications in less than a minute. This is the reason for new cameras. Don't want to shut these down before making sure I can get good signals to them before go on my trip.

Edited by bigtrucks, 23 April 2021 - 06:36 PM.

patriarchmongolian

patriarchmongolian

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello zep516,

Thanks for the response and link although I know how to setup cameras. I'm sorry for the confusion. I guess I didn't explain it properly.

I need to set up a second router if possible to test the new cameras. I have a dual band in use now and it's to it's max load with devices.

I wanted to know if I can have 2 routers going at the same time  and if so how to set it up.

Thanks

You can do a bridge connection to utilize your second router. I'm not sure what's new regarding this because this is an old school method, but until now I am still using it and works fine.

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hello zep516,

Thanks

You can do a bridge connection to utilize your second router. I'm not sure what's new regarding this because this is an old school method, but until now I am still using it and works fine.

Hmm... I'll take note on this one. Btw you have my thanks, man.   :D

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hello zep516,

Thanks

Thanks. So I've moved to another state and have a modem that has router within it. I looked up how to bridge connect  and hopefully I can get it right. The manager at the cable/inter/phone company (yeah small town ) said I cant hook up two routers to which I replied you can I just wasn't sure how. She persisted they  would have to disconnect their router before I can hook up another,. So I'm hoping I can prove her wrong. If not then I'll b having some crow pie. lol 

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I am not sure I understand her logic. With a modem you need the internet company involved so they "see" the modem. The router is after the modem. You should be able to unhook/hook a router with no issues.

I have done it a couple times. Most recently to prove to my brother he had a router issue and not a modem issue. All that was involved was getting his devices to see the new router.