Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OneDrive question

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

I *think* OneDrive is an Office product, so I'm posting this here.

Let me preface this by saying some background for this question that I provide below has to do with my employer, but I'm not asking how to solve the specific work issue I mention.

Anyway, I'm having an unusual issue with something unrelated to OneDrive.  And I'm wondering if OneDrive could possibly be the cause.  Let me explain...

Recently, my domain account with my employer has started to be locked very often.  Sometimes several times a day.  And I need to manually unlock the credentials.  My work's IT tells me their logs show the cause of the locks as mstsc.exe (the executable for Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection).  I've tried not using RDC to log into my work laptop and instead physically use the work machine, but the lockouts still occur.

So I started thinking of *anything* I use that has to do with RDC and how it could possibly be the cause.  And one thing I thought of is that I store the RDC shortcuts to my work laptop in a folder in my personal OneDrive.  For easy access from multiple devices.  So I decided to move these shortcuts out of OneDrive and into a normal folder.  Since doing that about 2 days ago, I have not experienced the work account lockout.

Of course, it's possible the work lockout has nothing to do with OneDrive and will happen again, as it has gone this long before without locking out.  But I'm just wondering if there's any possibility--maybe by default, or depending on settings or something--that OneDrive might try to actually *run* or *execute* files it contains?  Which, if it does that to a RDP file, might cause it to lock my work domain account, because of too many bag login attempts.

Thanks so much,

Mike

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

This question can be ignored.  My work account was locked again this morning, and the RDP shortcuts have been out of OneDrive for 3 days now, so the issue is not OneDrive.  Thanks.