Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 won't turn off using screen Power button in the start up Me

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

It turns right back on a second later. The only way it turns off now is by pressing the actual power button on the PC case?? I also tried unplugging the tower for about 10 minutes-no joy.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello jeisen,
See if this helps you

1. Go to Windows Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional power settings.

2. Click Choose what the power button does, then click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

3. Disable the Turn on fast startup feature.
Save changes and shut down the PC to see if the issue has been fixed.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hey Zep516!

Thanks-I forgot to include in my post that what you mentioned was the only thing I knew about and tried it. But it didn't help with this situation unfortunately.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Run the power troubleshooter.
The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Follow these steps to run this troubleshooter:

1. Type Troubleshooting in search bar and hit enter.
2. Click System & Security.
3. Select Powerand run the troubleshooter.

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

You can also try fixing corrupt files that may caused the issue. To do this, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete

1. Type Powershell into the Cortana search box and select the option to Run as administrator.

2. Type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit enter. Take note of the space between sfc and /scannow.

3. To fix any errors if you see “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them,” type “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” without the quotes. You’ll need to be online, as Windows will download clean versions of corrupted files and replace them. If you see “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them,” you are all set.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hello,

Run the power troubleshooter.
The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Follow these steps to run this troubleshooter:

1. Type Troubleshooting in search bar and hit enter.
2. Click System & Security.
3. Select Powerand run the troubleshooter.

Thanks-unfortunately that didn't fix this  strange issue.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

You can also try fixing corrupt files that may caused the issue. To do this, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete

1. Type Powershell into the Cortana search box and select the option to Run as administrator.

2. Type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit enter. Take note of the space between sfc and /scannow.

3. To fix any errors if you see “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them,” type “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” without the quotes. You’ll need to be online, as Windows will download clean versions of corrupted files and replace them. If you see “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them,” you are all set.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although it did find and fix some things I still have my original issue. After the scan it read in part: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." Then it listed log file info.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Try doing the DSM command now

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Try doing the DSM command now

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been in the Hospital. I ran the scan. I restarted the PC when the scan was finished. It still is restarting when I try to shut down like before. It wouldn't let me post a screen-cap of the resulting scan.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello, glad you're back.

See if anything in the link might help

https://softwaretest...own-what-to-do/

Please don't download or run any scans the site might offer.......

Advertisements

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Thanks! It's nice to still be here! I finally got a chance to sit down and follow the six steps to the latest link you sent-thank you! None of them were able to stop the restarting. One Windows Update fails to install: Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1

3 Driver Updates installed correctly.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

What can we try next?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Not sure what to try next I'll have to think about that or someone else may chime in.

Is there a error code for the windows up date "Fail to Install" issue ?

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Before "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1" it fully reads: Optional quality update available then shows a yellow-ish triangle with an exclamation mark in it. "We couldn't install this update. but you can try again (0x80070013)"

But nothing that read error code.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Error code,,,,,, sorry I meant this--> (0x80070013)  that's the up date error. Thanks.  You can google that number and get some ideas, but I would not take any action just yet...

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Work and travel has been crazy. But back home (for now). The update did apply but that has not solved the original power problem. But at least I'm up to date!