Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 10 couldn't complete the updates undoing changes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi I am running Windows 10 and have been getting the "we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes." Everyday my computers reboots itself and then spends 30 minutes trying to update and then I get that message.

A real pain.

I have booted in safe mode and and went to  Control Panel, Programs and Featured,  View Installed Updates and uninstalled the most recent windows update. This worked for a day or two and then it came back. 

Now when I go to view installed updates it lists the updates but not the date modified, I can't figure out how to get that info so I don't know what the most recent update was.

Please help!!!

Thanks a mil!!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Can you provide the following logs.

Export the CBS folder

• Open the folder C:\Windows\Logs
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created

If the zip file is too large to upload to the forum please share the file using a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to Swiss Transfer and just provide the link for the file here.

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Thank you!

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Please change the google drive link to public.

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Sorry,

It is public now.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

By any chance did you remove the browser Microsoft Edge from the system?

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi

Yes I did remove Microsoft Edge.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Check if you have a folder empty named Edge inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\ and delete it then try to install the updates again.

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

OK will do.

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

SleepyDude, thanks for your speedy help, really appreciate it.

That seems to have taken care of the issue, does that mean I can't remove Microsoft Edge and still receive Windows10 updates?

I will continue to monitor over weekend and then close the topic if I have no issues.

Thanks again!!!!

You guys are the best!!!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Those are good news .

That seems to have taken care of the issue, does that mean I can't remove Microsoft Edge and still receive Windows10 updates?

Not exactly, Microsoft released some updates to remove the Microsoft Edge legacy and will replace it with Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, it seems the updates fail when the Microsoft Edge legacy was already removed but some artifacts still exists on the machine.