Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot update to Windows 10 version 20H2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

So as the thread title says, I cannot get my computer to update to Win 10 20H2 from version 1909 which I believe was the last successful update. I have tried 6 times to update and each time after several HOURS of what appears to be updating it reverts to uninstalling the update. 

I tried disabling Defender but that didn't help. I ran SFC which found and repaired several corrupt files, still won't update and leaves this alert: Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎7/‎2021 - 0xc1900101

At the same time, it is trying to install an update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2986257) 32-bit edition (158)  that also fails each time leaving this alert: Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎20/‎2021 - 0x80070643.     I totally don't understand that because this is a 64-bit machine and the only Office 10 I can think of is a starter version that came with the computer. I currently have a 365 subscription on this machine.

I have no idea if these failures are related somehow, hence I'm reaching out for help to update to the latest version of Windows.

Regards

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

There's a list of things to check through for failed W10 updates at .... https://support.micr...b8-32d177eb136c

Don't use W10 myself, so have no personal experience with it, and can't help further.

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello, just wondering whether you ever got this resolved. I'm having a similar problem on HP laptop that will not update beyond 1909. I get the same error you had. It fails whether I try and update from Windows Update or using the Windows Update Assistant.
Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
CalicaCJA,

As the OP never acknowledged the offers of help I wouldn`t hold your breath while waiting on a solution from 6stringer, start your own thread and someone will help you there.