Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot update to Windows 10 version 20H2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

So as the thread title says, I cannot get my computer to update to Win 10 20H2 from version 1909 which I believe was the last successful update. I have tried 6 times to update and each time after several HOURS of what appears to be updating it reverts to uninstalling the update. 

I tried disabling Defender but that didn't help. I ran SFC which found and repaired several corrupt files, still won't update and leaves this alert: Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎7/‎2021 - 0xc1900101

At the same time, it is trying to install an update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2986257) 32-bit edition (158)  that also fails each time leaving this alert: Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎20/‎2021 - 0x80070643.     I totally don't understand that because this is a 64-bit machine and the only Office 10 I can think of is a starter version that came with the computer. I currently have a 365 subscription on this machine.

I have no idea if these failures are related somehow, hence I'm reaching out for help to update to the latest version of Windows.

Regards

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 408 posts

There's a list of things to check through for failed W10 updates at .... https://support.micr...b8-32d177eb136c

Don't use W10 myself, so have no personal experience with it, and can't help further.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
SetupDiag is a free diagnostic tool by Microsoft that is designed to find and parse Windows 10 setup log files to determine why an upgrade or update failed to install on a computer system.

SetupDiag works only on devices running Windows 10. The second requirement is that it depends on the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 which needs to be installed on the device it is run on.

If you run SetupDiag without parameters, it attempts to locate log files that Windows 10 creates during the upgrade process in the default folders on the device.

The program creates a results.log file in its directory when it completes the scan which includes upgrade issues that it detected in the log files during parsing.

SetupDiag creates a zip archive of all log files that it processed on top of that which it saves as Logs.zip in the same directory as well.