Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5GHz is running slower than 2.4GHz suddenly

5GHz Wireless Card Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply

Solice93

Solice93

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

This is really strange. I have a TP-Link AC1300 Archer T6E and all the sudden a couple weeks ago, the 5GHz band just dropped like a rock in performance. My speed test said I had 1.2 MB/s download speed where I normally get 13 MB/s. I had our service provider come out and look at it, and he said that the wireless modem was outputting the appropriate speeds. We even confirmed it by speed tests on our phones. Ok, so I checked the antenna, nothing out of the ordinary. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. My performance is a little worse now, funnily enough. I have no ideas at this point and would appreciate some help. I use Malwarebytes and I keep it up to date. I haven't seen any unusual activity in a while. Could anyone help me figure this out? I'm pretty tech savvy and can provide any info you need. Thank you for your time.

Edit: I have tried turning it on and off again twice both before and after uninstalling and reinstalling the driver

Edited by Solice93, 30 May 2021 - 12:42 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

Very old topic but see if their is anything that helps.

https://answers.micr...8f-13b7ce9f37dd

Networking is really not my thing, but I at least wanted to get you some information or help while you wait for one on one help hopefully. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

5 GHz Wi-Fi’s shorter radio waves mean it can cover less distance and isn’t at good as penetrating through solid objects as 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is. In other words, 2.4 GHz can cover a larger area and is better at getting through walls.

https://www.howtogee...n-2.4ghz-wi-fi/

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hello,

Very old topic but see if their is anything that helps.

https://answers.micr...8f-13b7ce9f37dd

Networking is really not my thing, but I at least wanted to get you some information or help while you wait for one on one help hopefully. 

I use Win 7, but I will try those steps you mentioned.

5 GHz Wi-Fi’s shorter radio waves mean it can cover less distance and isn’t at good as penetrating through solid objects as 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is. In other words, 2.4 GHz can cover a larger area and is better at getting through walls.

https://www.howtogee...n-2.4ghz-wi-fi/

In the area that I'm working in, before the issue started, I was getting 13 MB/s download speed on the 5GHz band. I'm still in that same area, and would like to get back to having those same speeds that I'm expecting. There are no changes in the environment to warrant such a massive drop in performance. This has to be a hardware or software issue on the PC's end.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

"Windows 7"? Why?

--

To check and see if it might be a hardware issue, temporarily boot and run a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.