Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Something wiped out everything on my computer (programs, files, folder

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,828 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't look like a hard drive failure.

Did you look in the Recycle Bin to see if anything was there?

Can you use File Explorer to navigate to C:\Users\Ryno Family?  Then look for Contacts or Favorites.  Select one then right click on it and select Properties.  Then Security then Advanced.  Who does it say is the owner?  Normally it would be Ryno Family.  Is it?

You might run a free eset scan and see if it finds anything that I can't see with FRST:

https://www.eset.com...online-scanner/

Advertisements

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Thing that doesnt seem right is that its not just my data that disappeared, it's that full programs and the ability to right click on the start menu as well as pinned items are all gone too.

I've worked with computers before and i've never seen the OS just pick and choose what it wants to delete.

I'm running an ESET scan now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,828 posts
  • MVP

Judging from what I have seen so far something happened to your permissions as well as to your files.  When I asked it to unlock Documents it showed three folders which were locked.  I unlocked them and they appear to be empty.

Tell it you want to see hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Then look to see if you can see C:\Users\Ryno Family\AppData

Also look to see if you can see

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

i can see hidden files and i can see both directories.

ESET is in the middle of running and it has found 2 objects so far.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,828 posts
  • MVP

If you go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu there should be a folder called Programs.  If you go into Programs you should see a bunch of folders for your different programs.  If you open one there should be a shortcut link to start the program.  Is there a link and does it work?

I use Open Shell on my computers.  It makes them act more like Win 7 so I am not sure what you should be seeing when you right click on the Start.

FRST says you have three restore points available.  You might try restoring to one of the earlier restore points.  Perhaps we will get lucky.

https://support.micr...26-e3b5a3024da5