Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something wiped out everything on my computer (programs, files, folder

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't look like a hard drive failure.

Did you look in the Recycle Bin to see if anything was there?

Can you use File Explorer to navigate to C:\Users\Ryno Family?  Then look for Contacts or Favorites.  Select one then right click on it and select Properties.  Then Security then Advanced.  Who does it say is the owner?  Normally it would be Ryno Family.  Is it?

You might run a free eset scan and see if it finds anything that I can't see with FRST:

https://www.eset.com...online-scanner/

Advertisements

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Thing that doesnt seem right is that its not just my data that disappeared, it's that full programs and the ability to right click on the start menu as well as pinned items are all gone too.

I've worked with computers before and i've never seen the OS just pick and choose what it wants to delete.

I'm running an ESET scan now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Judging from what I have seen so far something happened to your permissions as well as to your files.  When I asked it to unlock Documents it showed three folders which were locked.  I unlocked them and they appear to be empty.

Tell it you want to see hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Then look to see if you can see C:\Users\Ryno Family\AppData

Also look to see if you can see

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

i can see hidden files and i can see both directories.

ESET is in the middle of running and it has found 2 objects so far.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu there should be a folder called Programs.  If you go into Programs you should see a bunch of folders for your different programs.  If you open one there should be a shortcut link to start the program.  Is there a link and does it work?

I use Open Shell on my computers.  It makes them act more like Win 7 so I am not sure what you should be seeing when you right click on the Start.

FRST says you have three restore points available.  You might try restoring to one of the earlier restore points.  Perhaps we will get lucky.

https://support.micr...26-e3b5a3024da5

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

eset finished and syas it found 5 things.  Do you want me to send you the log?

There were some programs under: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

None of my downloaded stuff was there.

Should i do a restore?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yes the log might help.

You might want to hold off on the restore and see if you can recover any files with Recuva

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Best to download it and install it on a drive other than C:

Probably should have done this before installing FRST and Speccy but perhaps it is not too late.

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Here is the log.

I downloaded recuva and was wondering if i should just run it or if you have any instructions?

6/12/2021 23:21:47 PM
Files scanned: 487203
Detected files: 5
Cleaned files: 5
Total scan time 01:30:08
Scan status: Finished

C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeRIP\unins000.exe a variant of Win32/YTDDownloader.H potentially unwanted application cleaned by deleting
C:\ProgramData\PDFsam Enhanced 6\Installation\PDFsam_Enhanced_6_Installer.exe Win32/LuluSoftware.K potentially unwanted application cleaned by deleting
D:\DOWNLOADS\PROGRAMS\FREERIPMP3\setup-freeripmp3-frp.exe a variant of Win32/WinWrapper.U potentially unwanted application,a variant of Win32/YTDDownloader.H potentially unwanted application cleaned by deleting
D:\DOWNLOADS\PROGRAMS\PDFsam\PDFsam_Basic_4_Installer.exe Win32/LuluSoftware.K potentially unwanted application cleaned by deleting
D:\DOWNLOADS\PROGRAMS\ImgBurn.exe a variant of Win32/WebCompanion.B potentially unwanted application,a variant of MSIL/WebCompanion.H potentially unwanted application,a variant of MSIL/h2oPartener.A potentially unwanted application cleaned by deleting

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Nothing really evil in what eset found.

Haven't used Recuva in a long time.  Just make sure you right click and Run As Admin when you install and when you run.  See if it finds anything to recover.

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Its not just that files are gone, its even programs arent there and Windows isnt acting right.

I'm running recuva now.

Advertisements

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

OK, ive run recuva.  What should i do next?  it shows me files and red, yellow and green dots next to them.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay.  Have company.

From the FAQ:

The color of the dot next to the file name indicates your chances for a successful recovery (green for excellent, orange for acceptable, and red for unlikely):

You just check the box in front of the files and hit Recovery.

You may want to read the FAQ first:

https://support.piri...6GBGGNPH891NZZZ

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

I was able to recover some things.  if i did a windows restore, would i have all my stuff back?  programs, google websites, etc?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't know.  Worth a shot I guess.

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

i sthat the route we want to take now or no?