Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Macrium Reflect free cloning a windows 10 H/drive,bigger to smaller dr

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I want to clone a working windows 10 drive of 150 gb to a good 80 gb drive. The larger drive is only using 30 gb of storage...

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One of the easiest ways is to use "Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer SSD" software, which can be downloaded here:

https://www.samsung....download/tools/

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

thanks for the reply...

I am using Macrium reflect free and going to another sata drive, not a ssd.  I went to your site you suggested and it doesn't seem to support non Samsung drives. do you have experience with the Macrium program?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Some experience, yes. Been using it for weekly backups for a number of years.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I have an older hard drive that has obsolete software on it that my aunt needs to save.  I am having difficulty cloning the hd.  I keep getting error codes and need help fixing the issues....can you help???

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Do you have the same problems if you try to create a System Image with Macrium ?

If not, then it might be a pragmatic alternative backup solution to just image the drive rather than clone it.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks again for your help.

I have not tried the image process because I don;t understand what I am giving up by going that route.  If the old drive finally dies, can I just swap out the imaged drive and run?

By the way, this is what I have done.:

I ran a chkdsk /r on both the source and the destination disk successfully. I tried to do a diskpart on 2 different destination disks and it never completes.  When I do the clone, I get "error 9, cannot find disk" this is after trying to run diskpart.  before that, I was also getting "error 9 read fail 23 (cyclic redundancy check" That's when I did the chkdsk processes.

Is it possible that I didn't give diskpart enough time?  I did notice after the attempts at running diskpart, when I selected destination disk in Macrium, the disk shows up but there were no partitions shown...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

diskpart is a disk partitioning utility that can create, format and delete partitions.

chkdsk verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix logical file system errors.

Neither of those, nor any other software can "fix" a failing/failed hard drive.

Step one would be to run the hard drive manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic utility to see if the drive is failing. If it is, there is no need to go any further, The drive is worn out or damaged somehow and simply needs to be replaced.

If there is something you "gotta have" off of the drive, http://www.Ontrack.conis one of the best. Warning though, this option can get expen$ive!

You can save yourself a lot of grief and hair if you get into a habit of making regular backups. I do it weekly, others monthly, etc. Macrium Reflect Free

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Duly noted...I do regular backups using Cobian....as you know, backups do fine with all pics, documents etc., but not executable programs, which is why I am attempting this.  The source disk as well as 2 of the destination disks show good by the Western digital and Seagate disk tools...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

When you clone a drive, everything on it is copied directly onto another drive, so that the two are effectively identical.

An image backup copies everything on the drive into a single, compressed, but still very large file. You would probably save the image onto an external hard drive.

See if Disk Genius can give yiou any more insight into what the problem(s) might be with your drive(s).

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

does the image include the OS?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yes, an image contains everything, including the Operating System (OS).

Be sure the image contains all of the partitions needed to allow the OS to boot of course.

You will need your Macrium Reflect WinPE rescue disk/disc/USBflashdrive, (which can be created in Macrium Reflet). Simply boot from this, point it to where your image file is located and it will restore it. (Allow it to restore all of it ... all partitions ... so it will boot).

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I really appreciate your guidance!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks man, no problem. :thumbsup: