Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire stuck in mute; settings/driver are fine

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Scorpion3

Scorpion3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Acer Aspire laptop stuck in mute (no sound). I've done it all already; Clicked speaker on taskbar; went thru all that numerous times. FN F8 does nothing. Uninstalled audio, restarted, no change. If I hold the up arrow key, the speakers work. Let it go, and down to zero it goes. Changed drivers. Unplugged battery. You name it, I've done it. Can't find any other app or program in mute. Turned on/off microphone. No change. Went to "sound" a dozen times, and it keeps saying to raise the slider volume. Duh! It won't let me. Just started this 3 days ago. No updates have come in. Device Manager says everything is fine. I need help BEYOND the obvious stuff! 

Note: The sound card and speakers DO work. It just wont come off mute. 

Any NEW ideas would be helpful!!!!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Odd problem,

I would consider a trying system restore before the problem started I think you said 3 days ago.....

Let us know.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Microsoft.com > Recovery options in Windows 10 > Restore from a system restore point

Scorpion3

Scorpion3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I did a restore two days after it happened. I've done all the "basics". It's very weird. FN F8 does nothing. And the FN keys are not in BIOS. Been stuck in mute for weeks now, and I've tried literally a hundred "suggestion". None worked. Pls skip all the basics and go to the "heavier" stuff. It has the latest drivers (tried the original, too). Have deleted/re-installed EVERYTHING that has to do with sound. The weird thing is; if I hit FN F8 I get nothing. If I hit FN volume up key, the screen starts blinking on and off, and volume does not move. BC it stays muted, the volume bar in the upper left of the screen stays on. And, I have to tap that up to hear anything (I can hear the internal speakers, or the plug-in headphones, or the Bluetooth speaker. They all work like this). If I stop tapping, it runs straight to zero/mute, and can't get sound out of anything. This is what I have had to do, for weeks, to hear anything at all! It's nuts! 

This acer came with Win10 installed, so I have not come from Win 7 or 8. 

Is there anyone who has run into this problem? No basic sound "adjustments" will work. Mobility bar does the same as the volume bar If I tap it, it works, and when I let go, both the speakers AND system sound go to zero/mute. Come on, man! Somebody pls help!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Same problem when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

Does the sound work correctly now? When you're done testing, remove the Linux Live DVD/USB and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.

Edited by SpywareDr, 23 July 2021 - 07:15 AM.