Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi cutting out frequently only on one device

Best Answer RKinner , 28 January 2022 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad you got it fixed. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi there. My netbook suddenly stopped receiving the wifi signal yesterday. I've reinstalled the latest driver but to no effect. Before I got signal and speed anywhere in the house, but now I only get a signal and a connection when I am in the room containing the router. Otherwise it will intermittenly work mostly towards not working. I've connected my phone and other laptops to the same wifi in the same locations and they all work fine.

So looks like my netbooks wifi card is faulty. Can anyone advise.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Make & model number?  Operating System?  If Win 10 what version number?

I wonder if the antenna has come loose or broken?

Assume it has a USB jack.  Assuming you are not running some odd operating system you can get a

TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N) from Amazon for $7.99

as a work-around.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Make & model number?  Operating System?  If Win 10 what version number?

I wonder if the antenna has come loose or broken?

Assume it has a USB jack.  Assuming you are not running some odd operating system you can get a

TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N) from Amazon for $7.99

as a work-around.

Asus 1025c, Windows 7 starter. I'm planning to crack the case open and have a look as I've learned the wifi card can be removed.

I realised my work pc acutally has a usb wifi stick so I'm now using that with my personal laptop. It seems like it only receives wifi signals, but now I'm paranoid. My work won't know I'm using it or that it records sites I visit.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Here is a video of the disassembly of the device.  Wifi card is at the bottom left.

Replacement card is here:

https://www.ebay.com...T-/291857077740

Doesn't seem to be a separate antenna but perhaps the screws connect it to something.

Unless you work for the CIA or NSA it's doubtful that the USB WiFi adapter is spying on you.  Does it have a model number or any information on it?

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Cheers for the help.

The USB stick is https://www.startech...io/usb300wn2x2c- It seems harmless I'm just paranoid.

I've poked around under the case and it seems to be working like before although I'll obviously need to monitor it. All I did though was take out and reinsert the wifi card and also pop out/in the two antenna connectors although I had most of the thing stripped as wanted to trace the antenna cable(no sign of any cable/connector damage). If i was replacing the wifi card that would be easy. The antenna would involve a bit more work as there is a connector going up each side of the laptop and each connecting into a small circuit board. Looking at antennas online it seems they are taped on so it's doinable, but patience/diligence is required. See pic from a 1015 model

Ant.jpg

I do seem to have also fixed a wonky screen issue I didn't post about as well. Fingers crossed.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

lol It's fine all day in the room it wasn't working before and now won't work in the room it was working in. Let's swap the wifi card first.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Use Inssider to monitor the signal strength and also to make sure there are no competing signals that might cause problems:

Download inssider
https://www.techspot...6-inssider.html
Double click to install it. Then run it by right click and Run As Admin.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

It's working that's the main thing, but I've tried using this program and it doesn't really tell me much except that the quality of the signals varies greatly when you sit in the same place over time. I've changed channels on the router only for it to suggest the one you were just on so It works is the main thing.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Normally the signal does not change much over time.  Are you using the USB WiFi adapter or the built-in one?  Is there a difference between the two?

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I've been using a wifi adaptor just to have something working. It can take me a while to get round to something. There is a distinct difference in signal strength between the adaptor and the internal wifi card(based on OS signal strenght not the program). I've recently changed the motherboard and the wifi issue continues. I've swapped the card soon then the antenna to see if that dones it.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Alright finally got round to sorting it as the wifi adaptor was draining my battery a lot. Tried replacing the wifi card and it made no difference, but replacing the antennas has! Yippie. I replaced both antennas so won't know it was just one playing up. When putting on the new ones I cut away a large foil sticky panel from anntennas circuit board then realised this was a mistake and kept it on the other one. Either way doing this has no affected the signal, but reckon I'd not cut a bit off again.

Edited by maddog10, 29 January 2022 - 03:55 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad you got it fixed.