Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on, Can't find the fault (Resolved).

hardware

Best Answer hergrace8 , 23 June 2021 - 11:59 AM

PLEASE IGNORE ABOVE POSTS!! WOOT! I did the memory tests, and both sticks came up with error code 53. SO, I put both of the sticks back in, and hey presto! It's working!!! (I am doing the happ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

hergrace8

hergrace8

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

My computer is a self-build, and here's what it has:

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i7

Memory: GSkill RipJaws V DDR4 2x4G

Power: EVGA NEX650G 650W

Video card: EVGA GEforce GTX 1060

The other morning, after a night of heavy rain, but no thunder that we heard, my computer was off and would not turn on again. I immediately suspected the PSU, although some of the case LEDs and the lights on my mouse were on. I tested the power cord first (on another computer) and it worked fine. I noticed that when I unplugged, replugged and turned the PSU in my computer back on and pressed the MB's start button, the PSU fan would come on and spin for a second, then stop, and no matter how I pressed the MB power button, it would not come on again until I repeated the process.

I went through the steps in this video:

All connectors are well-seated. I tested the power-to-case power button and it made no difference. Once again, the first time trying the PSU fan spun for a sec then stopped.

Then I jumped the power supply (after disconnecting the CPU power cable, SATA power cable, and graphics card power cable). When I did this, the PSU's fan came on and stayed on. I tried turning on the case's LEDs, but I don't think they came on. As suggested by the iBUYPOWER guy, I then plugged each of the power cables back in (still having the MB power cable in jump mode.) The PSU fan would spin up each time (I turned it off and back on between cables.) However, when I plugged the MB power cable back in, the PSU went back to its previous behavior: fan spins a moment, then stops.

All of this leads me to fear I may need a new MB. Some other things I noticed:

CPU cooler & fan was full of gunk (I blew it out -- very dusty -- I'm so embarrassed.)

I saw no blown capacitors.

Tried clearing CMOS (the MB has some handy buttons for doing this) -- no difference.

There is nothing obviously wrong.

So I'm hoping to find out if there's something obvious I'm missing (or something else to check,) how to determine if it's the MB's fault and it needs replacing, and/or any other handy suggestions anyone has. If I must take it completely apart, I will.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Couple of things for you to try/check;

Your MB has a Debug LED on it, what code does it show when you try and power up the PC.

Remove both sticks of RAM and then try them one at a time in each of the four slots to see what happens.

Removing  the add on video card from the PCI-E slot on the MB and connecting the screen to the appropriate video port on the MB.

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you, Phil for your quick response. I'll go thru the troubleshooting step-by-step:

Your MB has a Debug LED on it, what code does it show when you try and power up the PC.

The power isn't on long enough to get a debug code, sadly.

Remove both sticks of RAM and then try them one at a time in each of the four slots to see what happens.

Went through each test. It made no difference.

Removing  the add on video card from the PCI-E slot on the MB and connecting the screen to the appropriate video port on the MB.

Aha! Success -- it powers on! Sadly, no video yet, but at least I've got an error code: 53 -- according to the manual this means:

Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and
memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please
install only one memory module or try using other memory
modules.

I think I'll go through your second test again to see if anything makes a difference then report back. Thank you for your help (and help in times past!)

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Okay, so...Moving one of the memory sticks around made no difference, still code 53. The second stick was doing nothing until I put it in slot DDR4_B2. Now the error code is 00.

Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS.

So, unless you can think of anything else. I guess I'll have to reinstall the CPU. Good thing I still have a tube of thermal compound in the tool box.

PS -- so does this mean my graphics card went bad? I have a nasty feeling something overheated because of dust build-up. I think I need to add HEPA filters to my PC.

Edited by hergrace8, 21 June 2021 - 02:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Was the screen blank or did it display a "No Signal" message.

Reinstalling the CPU is a new one on me and not something that I would suggest at this point tbh.

I would try removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out overnight, this will clear any possible bad BIOS settings, see my canned info below;

1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for twenty seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Remove the CMOS battery.

Make sure that the modular cables from the PSU are secure at both ends

Next day, pop the battery back in, reassemble still without the video card and see what happens.

You are welcome btw  :)

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sounds good. I'd put off doing anything with the CPU gladly. The screen remains black. It seems to get no signal at all.

So -- I'll remove the CMOS battery and update tomorrow!

PS -- just noticed the CPU  fan isn't coming on. Don't know if that's significant at this point.

PPS -- I also finally found my build info on this PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tmtsXH

Edited by hergrace8, 21 June 2021 - 03:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
PS -- just noticed the CPU  fan isn't coming on. Don't know if that's significant at this point.

That is not good news I`m afraid as the fan not spinning up means one of two things;

1: The fan has failed and the CPU overheated/fried - This would cause a black screen.

2: There is no power going to the CPU cooling fan header on the MB which could likewise result in the CPU getting fried and the same black screen.

Try connecting the CPU cooling fan to one of the four pin chassis fan headers on the MB to see if it spins up, if it does it suggests that the MBs CPU fan header circuit has failed

As an additional check to the above,  if the chassis fan cable is long enough, try connecting that to the CPU fan header on the MB to see if that fan works or not.

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Okay, so -- did the overnight CMOS, and I have left the single memory stick where it was. The machine booted, turned on and now the CPU fan is running (so no need for above tests). However, I'm still getting the 00 error.

Edited by hergrace8, 22 June 2021 - 02:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The 00 error and still getting a black screen makes the CPU being damaged by the cooing fan not running the most likely cause of the problem.

Only a couple of things that you can do now I'm afraid.

Repeat the RAM checks.

Get the output of the PSU tested.

Remove the HS from atop of the CPU, place a finger on top of the CPU, press the power on button to activate the PSU, if the CPU gets hot quickly turn off the power as you have confirmed that the CPU is getting power, if the CPU stays cold, either the 12V ATX supply to the CPU socket is bad, the CPU is dead, worse case scenario a combination of both.

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I've tried removing the CPU and cooler, cleaning them and reinstalling. Of course, I still get the 00 message. This in concert with a dark stain on the MB near the CPU makes me think I'll probably have to replace (at the least) the MB and CPU. Picture of the MB is here: https://tinyurl.com/mwvcxwc

If I have to replace the MB anyway, I was thinking of going with a AMD CPU. I don't know if the graphics card is fried as well, but thought I'd wait to see if new MB and CPU make the difference. When you have a moment, could you please look over the parts for this semi-new build and let me know what you think? Thanks! (for ALL the help!)

Link to new build: https://pcpartpicker...e8/saved/LLzwgs

Advertisements

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
✓  Best Answer

PLEASE IGNORE ABOVE POSTS!! WOOT! I did the memory tests, and both sticks came up with error code 53. SO, I put both of the sticks back in, and hey presto! It's working!!!

(I am doing the happy dance here.) I cannot thank you enough! You have saved me much distress. I think cleaning and resetting the CPU helped (although that might have been superfluous) but to have my main computer back is SO wonderful!

Phill -- you're the best. Thanks again for your patience and knowledge-sharing!

Update: Ah...found the ultimate culprit (after cleaning and testing): The graphics card. After everything else was up and running okay, I tried putting the GPU back in. The machine wouldn't turn on again (same slight fan flutter.) Okay -- time to get a new GPU (at least it's only that and not CPU/MB.)

Edited by hergrace8, 23 June 2021 - 12:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I've tried removing the CPU and cooler, cleaning them and reinstalling.

The steps that I suggested are the easiest and cheapest way of checking to see if the CPU is getting any power, it is not helpful to anyone if you do not do as suggested but instead say that you have done something that is nothing like what has been suggested here, we are trying to save you time, trouble and money but cannot do so without your cooperation.

Your picture is blank and the PCPartPicker link marked as Private meaning that no one can see it other than yourself.

Edit to add: Well that is really good news and we are happy for you, your update confirms why it is important that members follow the steps suggested by helpers and then provide feedback on any outcome.

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm sorry if you felt I wasn't following your direction. The removal and reseating of the CPU was in desperation after I hadn't heard from you (rash on my part as I know you're a volunteer doing this in your own time). As soon as I saw your reply, I started following the steps you recommended, hence no need to get new stuff. Your guidance has been invaluable throughout the ordeal.

I do have one question, if you're willing to answer -- is there anything else I can do to test the GPU, or should I just write it off? If there's any chance of rescuing it, like the rest of the computer, I'd be glad of it. It's not vital at the moment, but for what I do, I'll either have to figure this one out or get another.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries but helping from afar can be difficult at the best of times and folk going off and doing things not suggested not only makes things more difficult it can also be dangerous, no harm done here though so by the by now.

I would suggest that for a day or two you try and get by with using the PC as it is now, if you can that would be good as it would give you a chance to see what a local tech would charge to test your GPU for you, the alternative would be to use the PC as it is for a day or two and then try putting the GPU back in to test.

Scratch the above, we don`t get any notification of a post being edited so wasn`t aware of the content of your edited reply #11, time for a new GPU it is then.

hergrace8

hergrace8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Will do. Thanks!