Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver from 2009? Notebook very slow suddenly. Replace drivers?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 July 2021 - 04:22 AM

When you return we will need you to completely shutdown the computer for ten minutes or so and then restart it using the power button, when you do this can you time how long it takes to get to the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

River Horse

River Horse

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

My Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) runs extremely slow, not useble. Obviously at 500 MHz to 1500 MHz (instead of GHZ??):

https://i.imgur.com/427mIdC.png

https://i.imgur.com/yZZLgD0.png

Or am I missing anything?

https://i.imgur.com/ysfRR6s.png

Could / should I install this driver from here to get the Notebook properly running again: https://www.acer.com/ac/de/AT/content/support-product/5976?b=1&pn=NX.MVHEV.047

CDsHcfs.png

jCcaqxI.png

This one obviously is from 2009:

[IMG]

My Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) runs extremely slow, not useble. Obviously at 500 MHz to 1500 MHz (instead of GHZ??):

https://i.imgur.com/427mIdC.png

https://i.imgur.com/yZZLgD0.png

Or am I missing anything?

https://i.imgur.com/ysfRR6s.png

Could / should I install this driver from here to get the Notebook properly running again: https://www.acer.com/ac/de/AT/content/support-product/5976?b=1&pn=NX.MVHEV.047

CDsHcfs.png

jCcaqxI.png

This one obviously is from 2009:

EOLatVm.png

Should I replace it? But I cannot find another, newer one.

[/IMG]

Should I replace it? But I cannot find another, newer one.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thank you!

Here it is: http://speccy.pirifo...26gzZxh2tQk8oXA

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Computer type: Notebook
Installation date: 07/02/2021 10:13:43 PM

Windows is shown to only have been installed recently after which the first thing that needed to be done was install first the chipset drivers, second the storage device drivers and third the graphics drivers, if you do not do this when Windows checks for updates it can install the wrong drivers and cause you all sorts of problems.

Couple of problems flagged up in Speccy;

Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk # 0, partition # 2
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 008E1A56
Size: 120 GB
Used space: 98 GB (81%)
Free Space: 21.8 GB (19%)

You are getting low on free storage space on the C: partition where Windows lives, 19% would not be too bad for now if your recent install was the latest Windows 10 version 21H1 but if an earlier version such as 1903 or 2004 you may well not have enough space to install the later version/s.

What version of Windows 10 was installed on 07/02/2021.

R.A.M.

Memory
Size: 8108 Mbytes
Physical memory
Memory Usage: 78%

Something is using up most of your RAM and this in itself will make the computer as slow as molasses, things that can cause this are memory leaks, resource hogging programs and only having one stick of RAM which means that the RAM can only work in single channel which causes a bottleneck.

Open Task Manager, click on the Memory Tab, let the computer sit for a while until things settle down then make a note of what is at the top of the list and using the most memory.

If you only have the one stick of RAM, purchase a matching stick so that you have dual channel, Crucial say here that you can have a maximum of two 8GB sticks.

Use the system scanner tool here to get the RAM options confirmed, this gives you guaranteed compatibility or your money back.

You are welcome btw  :)

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
What version of Windows 10 was installed on 07/02/2021.

That must have been the inplace upgrade on C: yesterday to try to somehow fix the problems. No successs. I didn't install (a new) Win. I downloaded it just before that upgrade with that Windows Media Creation Tool (or similar called) from the Win Website to a USB-Stick, I do not no anymore the exact version, Win Home.

This is shown:

3cipt33.png

I have freed some space on C: not its 31,9 GB of free storage.

after which the first thing that needed to be done was install first the chipset drivers, second the storage device drivers and third the graphics drivers,

So these one:

KnUcbW1.png

I cannot find this: second the storage device drivers

And this one:

Fh83Zh7.png

This one is installed (that one on the Acer page seems to be older, should I take the Acer driver anymay?):

DIeBJlH.png

And this:

IDU94s0.png

Something is using up most of your RAM and this in itself will make the computer as slow as molasses,

Yes, that is like usual, before the problem occrured as well, nothing unusual, it always are Everything, Firefox and some others:

wIr1z6a.png

The amount of RAM shown in the Task Manager being used (by the single programs) does not seem to reach 70 %. Everything uses 1.3 GB, Firefox 1.3 GB is 2.6 GB together. And the other programs with less RAM. So it seems there is a big amount missing to 70 %.

If you only have the one stick of RAM, purchase a matching stick so that you have dual channel,

So I only have one stick of 8 GB RAM? Many thanks for the links. OK. But may be better to try to find the problem first, may be there is anything broken because of overheating, before the problem occurred respectively when it started. The air coming from the fan / air outlet was very hot (like usual). Now, since the problem occurred the air is not even warm, just (almost) cold, the same teperature like the room. The fan seems to be working, I can hear the sound. Might there be a connection to the problem?

Is this normal(?):

427mIdC.png

yZZLgD0.png
I assume there should be shown a value of CPU usage in GHz, not MHz? The Notebook is so slow that programs do not work / start or are not usable.

So I have to install those drivers: https://www.acer.com...pn=NX.MVHEV.047

Thang you very much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have version 21H1 which is good news but do keep a check on the amount of free storage space on all of your partitions, you only have 2% on the I: partition and are in danger of losing all data on that drive.

As you are not having any video problems I would leave the Acer VGA driver and just install the latest chipset driver at your Acer link, be sure to create a new system restore point first.

So I only have one stick of 8 GB RAM? Many thanks for the links. OK. But may be better to try to find the problem first, 

The problem is a combination of things at the moment and until you have installed at least the correct chipset drivers you are fighting a losing battle.

Browsers can use up a lot of RAM but i wouldn't have a program like Everything on my computer if it used up so much, the high memory use looks to be a combination of the browser, Everything, the RAM only being in single channel, you having a second screen connected and what Windows keeps in reserve.

Your RAM only being in single channel means that it is only working at 50% of the performance that it is capable of, this = a max of 800MHz at the moment whereas it is capable of 1600MHz.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

You have version 21H1 which is good news but do keep a check on the amount of free storage space on all of your partitions, you only have 2% on the I: partition and are in danger of losing all data on that drive.

There are 160 GB left. Yes, I will free some space. Thank you.

As you are not having any video problems I would leave the Acer VGA driver and just install the latest chipset driver at your Acer link, be sure to create a new system restore point first.

Yes, I will do so.

The problem is a combination of things at the moment and until you have installed at least the correct chipset drivers you are fighting a losing battle.

Is installed now.

Yes, Firefox and Everything use the most RAM. So I may be should Everything occasionally only.

Yes, so using the second channel would be very good.

Thank you very much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Upgrading the RAM is still the most cost affective upgrade you can make to improve performance.

How is the notebook performing since you installed the chipset drivers.

You are welcome  :)

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Yes, 16 GB RAM I gernarlly should use from now on (and with the next Notebook(s)).

How is the notebook performing since you installed the chipset drivers.

Actually I cannot see a difference. I installed the driver by double clicking its exe.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can we have a new Speccy url.

Actually I cannot see a difference. 

Can you be more specific as in when is the computer slow, is it slow to to boot up or when accessing data as a couple of examples.

Advertisements

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I would say, the computer some time ago (one, two days before I started this thread) suddenly got slow and just stayed being slow. So I am not able to give examples, it is very slow just always. Burt it now seems this is the cause:

H03LfOw.png

The temperature much too high, obviously. I put a fan under the Notebook and now it is much faster, repectively working properly at all. The air coming out of the air outlet is cool. Before the computer got slow it was really hot. So obvously there is anything wrong with the fan or some component or so.

Very strange, why was the Notebook even that slow after starting it after it has been switched off for may be 6 hours as it was cold? So the temperature is that high at the beginning? 90, 100° from the start? Actually I cannot imagine that. May be it got hot so fast? And very astonishing that the fan under the Notebook makes the Notebook run faster, despite the inefficence. May be just some degrees less than before and it runs usefully. But may be the temperature before was much higher than now.

Yes, it is / was even slow whlle booting, I would think.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not what was asked I`m afraid  :(

and

Can you be more specific as in when is the computer slow, is it slow to to boot up or when accessing data as a couple of examples.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Not what was asked I`m afraid  :(

Ah, very sorry.

Yes, of course: http://speccy.pirifo...U4Nay5gnaBIWRWj

So this is not sufficient:

I would say, the computer some time ago (one, two days before I started this thread) suddenly got slow and just stayed being slow. So I am not able to give examples, it is very slow just always.

I am not sure how to say it. The computer is always extremely slow independently of what I am doing. It shutted down a few times. Without showing a warning or a cause / error message. It is so slow that programs are not working, do not react, "no response". I cannot find a time when the computer is slower or fast, it just always is, one cannot work with it (usefully). Sorry for my inability to give a sufficient report. But I cannot / could not find any examples. It just always is slow in the same way, I would say.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No need for any apology  :no:

We have looked at your Speccy report and have some feedback on it for you but we first of all need to clarify something else.

When you power up the computer does it boot into Windows quite quick but when you try and access your data on the hard drive does it then go real slow.

No rush getting back to us as I am heading off to bed now, an 18 hr day is well enough for me  :yes:

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

OK, thank you very much.

When you power up the computer does it boot into Windows quite quick

I would think it is slower or even much slower than it was before the problem. Fast boot (or whatever it is called) is deactivated, so it always makes a complete start, it loads everything again. I do not very often shut down (may be once a month or so) the Noteobook but let it hibernate instead. So it is not that easy to estimate the real time for starting / the difference betwenn now and before.

but when you try and access your data on the hard drive does it then go real slow.

Yes, it does absolutely. The programs start very slowly, everything is very slow.

OK, 18 hours, yes, long enough indeed, like it would be for me as well.

Unfortunately I will be away for the next days to about Friday leaving the Notebook at home. So no rush getting back to me as well.

I am very glad about your great help!