Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Help Needed - Registry File Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I am betting that you will neet to put the cd in sometime during recovery though, maybe not. I would Move or copy all of your "my documents" to a cd or another folder and then run the recovery.

-=jonnyrotten=-

jonny,

How do I copy or move the contents of My Documents if I can't get the computer to boot ?

Advertisements

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Does anyone know if a do a non-destructive system recovery will I loose any data ?

I don't want to loose anything in My Documents folders. The only way I know of to get to a command propmt is by using the recovery cd. Can I copy My Documents from there or is there another way of copying it ?

My pc has been down for 2 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You have a good point, you cannot move the files if you cannot boot the machine.

Boot to command prompt and go to C:\documents and settings\YOUR USERNAME\my documents and I believe you should probably be able to move files like that.

-=jonnyrotten=-
<_<

bladesafar

bladesafar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In refer to everything that was said. how big is your comp? year? is there stuff on their you absolutely need?

do you not mind reinstalling things?

This may help. get another harddrive. \
Put original one as slave.
put the new as master. (so when windows is installed on new. it will show everything on the old. in mycomputer selected as D:)
reinstall windows on new harddrive (keep in mind you dont have to buy a huge harddrive. you just need one to help restore windows. and save important files back to the old when your done.)*harddrives 20 gigs and under are about 10$ keep one incase you need to restore stuff. It is a WISE INVESTMENT* in my opinion.

then copy anyfiles you needed from the old one. on the new one in a seperate folder on the desktop./

format the old one. in computer adminstrative tools.

switch harddrives again. reinstall windows and copy saved files from the new to the old.

OR/ you can just keep using the new one. but i preferred one at 20 gig for emergency backup. so that if it happens again you can retrieve everything you have.

all this takes time. but is guranteed to work unless your harddrive was fryed. surge protectors are not always safe.
Backups are always needed if your into moding stuff on computers

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Did you really need to bump a thread that is over four years old ?