Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Notebook BSoD and no option to start in safe mode

- - - - -

Best Answer SpywareDr , 21 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

No problem. I would want to do the same. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jrsollas

jrsollas

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have an HP Envy Notebook with Windows 10. When I hit the power button, its not a normal startup. I hear fans and power running to system, blue screen of death comes on and no action or error codes. Try to do an illegal shut down, two seconds later all noises cease and screen goes black. I tried to reboot and accident hit f10 or f9 and the Bios setup screen comes up, but I cannot gre to safe mode or anywhere else. Please help. Thank you 😊

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Use a working computer to download and create a bootable DVD or USB. Instructions here: https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Now insert this DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer from it. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB.

When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

Tap or click, advanced options and then click on Startup repair.

After this completes the repair, remove the DVD/USB and see if you are able to boot your computer from the hard drive (or SSD).

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thank you for your reply. Upon waiting for a return reply, I purchased a 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure to see if I could salvage what was on my Notebook. I do see that the hard drive was still "intact" and the items are available (pictures, documents, etc.). I'm unsure if this would still qualify for this forum, but since I purchased a new laptop in the interim, would it still be beneficial to try to fix the other one or does the type of problem I described sound unfixable? i would want to transfer the items to my new laptop forst before messing up the hard drive and chance losing the info. Thank you for your input and I await your reply.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
✓  Best Answer

No problem. I would want to do the same.