Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect To Internet Wireless

• Please log in to reply

bug2

bug2

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

I am not overly savvy on computers, but I have tried to look up every possibility. My computer has the router and modem in my room and connected to my computer. My sister had a HP tower that she had not used in years because the power supply died after a year. Her friend had it fixed and 3 yrs later she has decided to use it. It has Windows 7, Her computer is in her room. I tried to get her on the internet and added our network, but it has a red x on the bottom bar over the internet symbol and it doesn't find a network. I have tried everything I have read on the internet and cannot connect.

It says no network connection available. When I ope it up it has 3 areas:

Network connections

Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged

Realtek PCIe Family Controller

Wireless Network Connection

Not connected

802.11 Wireless LAN card

Wireless Network Connection 2

Not Connected

Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport

Edited by bug2, 23 July 2021 - 07:12 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello Bug 2,

You would probably need to connect a cable (Ethernet) from the router to the back of the  desktop in the large phone jack looking thing.  Could be 2 of those connectors try each one if there are 2.

Realtek PCIe Family Controller ------> That's you network adapter located on the motherboard or possible stand alone network card...

The desktop will not connect wirelessly unless it has a wireless network card, that they usually don't come with.

What's the model number of the HP tower ?

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I can't connect it because the modem and router are connected to my computer in another room. Before it died out and was fixed, I believe she used it wirelessly in our other house. How do you know if there is a card in it? Can I buy one of those dongles to connect? It's an HP Pavilion Slimline Model # S5-1020

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Perhaps I was wrong. It looks like it comes with this card

802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card

Enter device Manager, in device manager look for Network, click the plus sign to the left of network to expand the listing, Look for 

802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card

Right click on it and choose uninstall. Now reboot the computer and try connecting again,

How to open Device Manager ? See below . Click link.

How to Open Device Manager (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP) (lifewire.com)

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I did that and it didn't help. It does not have b/g/n PCE mini card. It only says 802.11 LAN. Also when I click on my added network, it says adapter not connected. Where I put my network name and password, is it suppose to be AES or TKIP?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
AES is a more secure encryption protocol introduced with WPA2.

It does not have b/g/n PCE mini card.

How do you know that ?

Can you right click on the red X and choose trouble shoot ?

Were there any errors in device manager yellow triangles or anything ?

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It just has the 3 I mentioned above. When I troubleshoot it just says unplug router/ modem and restart. Doesn't work.

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It just has the 3 I mentioned above. When I troubleshoot it just says unplug router/ modem and restart. Doesn't work.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

I going to work now running late, have you tried everything in the link below :

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7) | HP® Customer Support

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am at work will look it over when I get home. Thank you.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

How is going bug ?

How far is the computer from the router ?    For my desktop I bought a 50 foot Ethernet to connect it, because my router is in the living room. 

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Each end of the mobile home in bedrooms. Her laptop always connected fine as does a tablet. I haven't had a chance to do those steps yet, as I am not home right now.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Okay,

I was just wondering how long of a Ethernet cable you might need. I don't like the USB  dongle but I suppose it might be an option if we can't get it to connect.

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I tried everything you outlined above and I still could not connect. I received the dongle from Amazon and the computer found my network and connected. It was a Techkey and they included a driver so I didn't need to be on the internet to download it. I also downloaded Windows 10 and it's all good now. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Excellent news!  and you're welcome too....