Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Depression on the Rise During COVID-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Recently reported that a growing number of population show signs of clinical depression and anxiety. These and other mental conditions are becoming amplified during the recent pandemic, while COVID-19 patients and their families are also at high risk to develop depression and anxiety.

there are various factors related to COVID-19 that contribute to the increase in depression rates, including:

Trauma from widespread disease
Grief over losses of life
Fear of getting sick
Unprecedented physical distancing
Financial concerns, including unemployment and housing insecurity
Loss of community
Reduced access to caregivers

With this list of contributing factors, are there resources that can help the patients and their families?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

https://www.massgene...during-covid-19

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

If you are experiencing feelings of distress and isolation, or are struggling to cope, The Samaritans offers support; you can speak to someone for free over the phone, in confidence, on 116 123 (UK and ROI), email [email protected], or visit the Samaritans website to find details of your nearest branch.

If you are based in the USA, and you or someone you know needs mental health assistance right now, call National Suicide Prevention Helpline on 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Helpline is a free, confidential crisis hotline that is available to everyone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you are in another country, you can go to www.befrienders.org to find a helpline near you

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Well done! Thank you all so much, I will be presently seeking help for anxiety and depression.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Try to stay positive Joe and best wishes and support from GTG  :thumbsup:

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi guys,

I have just seen this post and wanted to say how nice it is to read something like this on here. It is great that it is so much more acceptable to talk about mental health issues these days than it used to be.

I am not a stranger to these problems myself. We have our 40-year-old daughter living with us who has suffered from depression for many years. My husband has blood cancer and therefore it is very uncertain whether the covid-19 vaccine has given him any kind of immunity, so we remain pretty much afraid to live a normal life and this has affected our daughter badly. She took an overdose just before last Christmas, though luckily she recovered from that. She was subsequently diagnosed with BPD and has been getting support for that, along with some extra counselling. However....just a couple of days ago, she was close to overdosing again but didn't (fortunately she didn't have enough pills!). The problem is that when emotions get too much for her she turns to alcohol and it seems to be then that she gets the really powerful suicidal thoughts. Some months ago, doctors referred her to an alcohol abuse program, but they were not interested when they realised she does not drink all the time.

As for me myself, I am worn out and really struggling with all the problems now. I find it so very hard when our daughter is drunk and saying she doesn't want to live. When my husband is going through a hard time with his health, the stress of that sets off our daughter's problems at the same time, so I don't know where to turn. To be honest, some days I just wish I could run away from all the problems.........

I wish anyone with any kind of mental health problems - or anyone caring for them - all the best in getting the help and support they need.; it really isn't easy. Love and best wishes to you all.

Chris.

-

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,107 posts

A wish for all:

STAY STRONG! 

KEEP ON KEEPING ON!

buddywiser

buddywiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

.. To be honest, some days I just wish I could run away from all the problems.

-

We all want the same thing but we aren't allowed to make some excuses just to run away with our problems. Only the tougher ones will be the last man standing,

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

There you go; Cowboy up man. "Life's a b1tch, and then you Die."

patriarchmongolian

patriarchmongolian

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

-

We all want the same thing but we aren't allowed to make some excuses just to run away with our problems. Only the tougher ones will be the last man standing,

We'll die anyway, why not send some hugs? lol

buddywiser

buddywiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

How do you not think about life? I mean people can get really affected by you dying.

buddywiser

buddywiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

-

We'll die anyway, why not send some hugs? lol

Sometimes it is hard to wrap around your thoughts around that. People can't seem to understand that concept.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

How do you not think about life? I mean people can get really affected by you dying.

And there is n-o-t-h-i-n-g anyone can do about it. That's life. Live it and love it while you can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

The OP was well intentioned but the thread has now run it`s course and will be closed.

For those that feel that they need some support see the below;

If you are experiencing feelings of distress and isolation, or are struggling to cope, The Samaritans offers support; you can speak to someone for free over the phone, in confidence, on 116 123 (UK and ROI), email [email protected], or visit the Samaritans website to find details of your nearest branch.

If you are based in the USA, and you or someone you know needs mental health assistance right now, call National Suicide Prevention Helpline on 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Helpline is a free, confidential crisis hotline that is available to everyone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you are in another country, you can go to www.befrienders.org to find a helpline near you