Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 17 cannot connect to wireless or ethernet

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I am working on a neighbor's model HP17-by0053od laptop running Windows 10 Home.  His hard drive went bad so He bought and had me install a new one.  All went well until I tried to connect to my internet to update the Windows.  I went to device manager and it shows a Realtec PCIe GBE family controller.   It also has a bluetooth network connection showing but no wireless network adapter.  There is no switch on the keyboard as well for wireless.  My RJ45 connector is blinking orange showing it accepts the connection but no internet.  I do not understand how to obtain a bluetooth connection.

I did an ipconfig and it shows DHCP enabled on the ethernet but when I try to connect it states "ethernet does not have a valid ip configeration"

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Probably needs a driver for the Realtec.  Go to:

https://www.realtek....xpress-software

Download the one that says:

Win10 Auto Installation Program

Put it on a USB drive and move the USB drive to your sick PC.  Right click on the program and Run As Admin.

Does that help at least with connecting via Ethernet?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I appreciate the help...

Thanks, it worked...I don't think it has wireless, it just show ethernet and bluetooth

I don't know how to connect bluetooth...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

It should have wireless.

Go to

https://support.hp.c...drivers/laptops

Put in your serial number then look for the wireless driver.  There are two commonly used on HP 17's:  Intel and Realtek. Hopefully they will just offer one and not both.

You may also need the intel chipset utility.

The bluetooth is mainly used to connect headsets and other similar accessories. Again they use both intel and Realtek.  The website should offer a driver for bluetooth.