Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Mobo - Difference in motherboard serial/model numbers

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello. I'm replacing my Asus 1025c's motherboard as I believe the charging circuit has blown(it works but won't charge due to a faulty charger). Now I'm googling Asus 1025c motherboards, but noticing there are slight differences to the serial/model numbers on the mobos. But they are all for Asus 1025c's. Now. Will using one that's not an exact match be a problem. Say power supply voltage/current wise or anything else.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

There should never be duplicate Serial Numbers for the same product. A serial number is a number indicating place in a series and used as a means of identification of an individual product.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

There should never be duplicate Serial Numbers for the same product. A serial number is a number indicating place in a series and used as a means of identification of an individual product.

Then it would be differing model numbers which would be my concern then

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Recommend searching the Asus site to see if they have provided detailed differences between different versions of the same model number.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I'm not able any details on relevant components on their website.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

With nothing to go on, I guess you'll need to cross your fingers and see if a different version of the same model number works.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

So there are part numbers I've found online with slight differences in the number. Anyone got an idea what they could signify?

60-OA3FMB2000 - C04

60-OA3FMB2000 - C05

60-OA3FMB1000 - C05

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Well good news. I installed a 60-OA3FMB2000 - C05 modelled board into one that had one of those before and it booted up no problems and even showed itself as activated. I installed the same into one that had a 60-OA3FMB1000 - C05 and it also booted up no problems, but it needed activated which I did on the automated phone line. No need to speak to anyone.

Edit: I will add phoning the automaticed phone line it went on about windows 10 a lot(funny that) and I had to select options to suggest I did not have the means that thankfully got me to the part were you enter the 9 codes and get 9 codes back in return. Which activates it.

Edit 2(the next day)

Had to activate today the main PC where I swapped like for like exactly. It was an easy phone activations. I had just swapped a wifi card today so maybe that caused it. Who knows.

Edited by maddog10, 25 September 2021 - 06:45 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Great news! And, thanks for sharing the outcome. I'm sure someone else will really appreciate it. :thumbsup: