Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Wired Optical Mouse "Dies"

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I have long been using a MS optical wheel mouse plugged into an Orinco 4-port USB hub, this in turn plugged into my ASUS A54C (System K54C) running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1. I have 8 GB of RAM and rarely have 6 in use, per the Task Manager. My C drive has ~20 GB free space, the D having ~32GB. FWIW, I twice tried scheduling a running of Windows Memory Diagnostic, but both times I only got a blank screen (these before the Disc Checks, mentioned below).

My problem is that for the last few months, power to the mouse occasionally shuts off, this not infrequently happening shortly after waking from sleep but also when I'm involved in various operations like posting to a website or working with a .pdf file. When this happens, the curser responds by using the computer touch pad, but sometimes the curser doesn't respond to either method.

Sometimes but not always, waiting will revive the mouse; sometimes disconnecting (or flexing the connection to break the internal contact) the mouse cable will restart it, but often that causes only a momentary light (together with the brief notice that the touchpad has been disabled).

The problem is not caused by the wiring, the hub or this particular mouse; something is interfering with the program. I attempted updating the mouse driver, but it is said to have the latest version. I also ran a Disc Check for both my C and D drives, but the problem still occurs.

I occasionally backup my system and/or data on a not-normally attached external hard drive using EaseUs Todo Free; last June I realized EaseUs Smart Backup was regularly running, even though I didn't recall having programed it to do so. I left it alone for some weeks, but eventually deleted that function as being unnecessary and for interfering with my work. Seems to me the mouse problem started somewhere around that time, although I don't remember any specific occurrences.

I have no evidence that any spy- or malware is involved, but can't show it isn't either..

The primary question is how best to look into or prevent the mouse 'deaths', secondarily, what's the best way to deal with the W. Memory Diagnostics inaction?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP
Most older laptops will have temperature problems due to dust buildup in the heatsink.  This can cause a variety of problems.

Run Speedfan to monitor your temps in real time:

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

It will tell you your temps in real time tho the default is to show the hard drive temp in the systray.  You can change it:  Hit Configure then click on the highest temp and check Show in tray.  
With no other programs running what is the highest temp you see?  Run an anti-virus scan, play one of your games or watch a video for at least 5 minutes.  What is the highest temp now?

We don't really want it to go over about 65 under load.  If it does it usually means either the fan is defective (speedfan should tell you your fan speed so you can see if it is running) or (most likely) the interface between the fan and the heatsink is clogged with dust. The best fix for a clogged heatsink is to remove the fan (not the heatsink or heatpipe) and vacuum out the heatsink.  However on some PCs this is major surgery.  Sometimes you can blow air backwards through the exhaust vent while vacuuming at the input vent and if you are lucky it may clear the heatsink.  Don't do it too long as the fan may overrev.  A laptop cooler tray can also be used to improve cooling of a laptop with clogged heatsink.

Also your hard drive may be getting fragmented.  You don't say how big it is but 20 GB free may not be enough.  You want 11% free in order for defrag to work.  

I would run a disk check to make sure the file system is OK then run sfc to make sure the system files are good:

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot. 

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).
sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt 
notepad %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt 

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System

* Application
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button and wait.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please copy and paste the Output log into your next reply 

Finally I would check device manager and look at the power management tab for the mouse.

Right click on Computer and select Manage then Device Manager.  Look under Mice and Other Pointing Devices.  Find your mouse and right click on it and select Properties.  Click on Power Management tab (if present).  Uncheck: Allow computer to turn off this device to save power.  OK.

Sometimes it helps to have Windows reinstall the mouse.  Just right click on your mouse in device manager and Uninstall then reboot.  (Do not allow it to remove any files if it asks.)

Also let's look at the hard drive to see if it is failing:

Get the free version of Speccy:

(Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER or Chrome (you have to be careful or it will install one or both as the default).    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

Let's also look to see if the CPU is getting overworked:

Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  
View and check Show Processes From All Users 

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

For your memory test issue you can always test the RAM with memtest86+ (requires a USB drive)
I would use the download

Save the file.  Go to the download folder and right click on the saved file and Extract All, Extract.  Then right click on the result and Run As Admin.  (Plug in an USB drive (all data on it will be erased))  Once it finishes reboot and first change the boot order/Go in to the BIOS and change the Boot Order (Depends on the make which option you need check you PC maker's support site)
Once it boots I think it starts automatically.  Usual advice is to let it run through 6 full passes before declaring the memory good.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hello RKinner,

My free time has been short lately so going through all your steps (which I will do) may take some days but I'll add a few comments now just to not keep you waiting for everything.

I routinely check for and blow dust out of my system to prevent such overheating. I also don't normally watch videos, only partly due to a very slow connection. Nevertheless, I did use Speedfan and it showed a normal temperature of 48* while just reading this page, then gave 54* while watching a short video, and lastly, showed 58* while running a SAS Quick Scan. I took a screenshot or two, in case you'd like to see it/them.

My C drive total size is 148 GB, while D has 125 GB. I believe I have some very old and probably unneeded backup files (and likely lots of Game Camera pictures I should delete) but don't think lack of space is what initiated this problem, although it may well be contributing.

As I originally stated above, a few days ago I ran DiscCheck for both drives and found no problems. I had defragmented the drives some days earlier; it went through many stages while doing that (I don't know though if it actually finished or I finally just stopped it). I think the last work I did was running sfc /scannow, again a few days ago.

BTW, I knew my Command Prompt didn't allow me to paste copied material into it the normal way, but was unaware of your methods for doing so. I tried it and it does work, but I got a blank Notepad page due to the elapsed time et al.

I did uninstall the mouse, rebooted and had it's software reinstall when I reattached it...but had the problem again immediately after that. So much for shortcuts...

Again, and as stated above, I will go through all the steps (counting the Temperature step as already done) and will post results as I get them.

I know you'll feel free to make comments whenever you see fit.

Thanks

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Late Thursday night (9/9/21) I reran the Disc Check for my C drive and saw that it didn't report finding anything wrong. Towards the end, I took a screenshot but can't find it so may not have saved it. Yesterday when I fired the system up again, I had no mouse problems, nor have any occurred today. I will assume that problem has been fixed. Later tonight or tomorrow I will clear the Logs and rerun sfc and will work on the memory aspect afterwards.

BYW, a month ago I got a "ghost icon" on my desktop, one I can move around but nothing else. Might you know how to remove it? Here is more information about it, from a previous unsuccessful thread.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/376143-removing-artifact-left-on-screeen-after-cut-and-paste/

If there are any actions I can take to delete it, when should they occur regarding the steps from your Post #2  not yet taken?  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

In

http://www.geekstogo...e/#entry2660645

it shows the ghost file is pinned and offers you an option to unpin it.  Did you try that?

Might also be a permission error.  Right click on the file and select Properties then Security.  Click on Tom.  Does it show you have Full Control?  Click on Advanced.  Who does it say is the Owner?  Normally Tom should be the owner.

Also try

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

C:
cd  \users\tom\desktop
dir  /a  *
Does the GE Refrig ... file show up?  Is it the only GE Refrig ... File?
Take a screen shot of the result or right click and select Mark then highlight the results.  Hit Enter to copy then move to a reply and Ctrl + v to paste

If there is only the one GE Refrig... file then try to delete the file from the command prompt:

attrib  -r  -h  -s  "GE*Refrig*"
del  /f  "GE*Refrig*"

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Thanks.

Under Security, I got the message that "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." Details showed 0 bytes.

That last procedure succeeded. Attached is 1). a SS of what the CP first found, and 2). one showing it after entering the last (delete) command. The ghost is now gone.

I have some other work I need to now do, both here and (mostly) outside, but I will return tonight to get started on checking the memory. Might it be good for me to first try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic again, to see it the last Disc Check also fixed it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Command Prompt-Ghost entry .png
  • Delete try .png

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Since last time, I cleared the logs of Event Viewer and then ran sfc /scannow. No problems were found; I have a screenshot of the results, just for the record. Ask if you'd like to see it.

Next I tried rerunning the Windows Memory Diagnostics. After shutting off and restarting the system, the screen remained black and the Drive Activity light remained off for the two hours I left it alone. Hitting the on/off button brought an immediate stopping of the system. Pretty clearly the MD program never ran.

Next I downloaded and ran Rosso's Event Viewer. The log, labeled VEW.txt, is attached.

I did check the mouse Properties and found its ability to 'turn off power' was already unchecked; I stopped its ability to wake the system too.

Also attached is the file from Speccy labeled as Tom-PC .txt

Lastly is attached the Process Explorer results, appropriately labeled as such.

I didn't have an empty Memory stick to use for the memory test so considered trying an SD card, but also had neither an empty one or the time to store the contents of one and then clear it, so that step will get delayed some more.

I did today have two momentary dying of the mouse again accompanied by a brief (and repeated) flashing of the message about the Touchpad being disabled. The first, very brief, was when restarting after being asleep, the second (a bit longer) while handling files during these tests. Not really troublesome, but I don't recall it happening at all until recently.

Yes, I believe I need to clear extraneous and perhaps duplicate files..

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

IF you don't have a USB you can use a CD or DVD and boot from that.

Looking at Process Explorer I see you are running Internet Explorer for some reason.  It is using 15% of the CPU and almost 1/2 gig of RAM.  I also see Firefox running so make sure that Firefox is the default Browser.  Internet Explorer is dangerous to use and is no longer supported by MS. 

https://support.mozi...r-does-not-work

VEW shows a lot of problems with your Brother printer software.  If it is still available for Win 7 I would download a new copy then uninstall the old, reboot and install the new.

I also see an error with SNMP.  Most consumers do not need or use SNMP so search for

services.msc

hit Enter

Scroll down to the entries that start with SNMP (may be as many as 3 entries)

Right click on Each and select Properties then change the Startup Type: to Disabled.  OK.  (STOP any running SNMP service while you are in Properties.)

I expect the SChannel errors are caused by Windows looking for updates.  As MS no longer supports Win 7 there won't be any updates so you can disable automatic updates:

https://www.intechgr...sable-windows/#

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

For the last year or two, I have normally kept Windows Update set at "Never Check for Updates". Despite Win 7 having no support, MS has provided a few special updates which I have become informed about and have manually installed. The last time, I don't think I left the setting with the wrong command, but in any case, it was wrong and that is now fixed. I also keep Windows Update in Services set to Manual and reset it to Stopped each time after downloading MS Security Essentials updates, usually daily.

I have two Brother printers, an old MFC-420CN which has been unused and needing repair by me for a few years, and a newer MFC-8480CN , both attaching by USB cable when needed. The original Brother software came from the first printer; the second required something to be downloaded from their site to get it working. How do I determine which software is bad? Also, sometimes a disc that comes with a unit has other programs besides the main one; absent the disc, how does one keep track of it all so it can all be replaced, if it all wanted but some gets deleted? Too much to keep track of...

I think this computer always connected with DSL, and the printers always directly by cable, so where or by what would the SNMP have been used? It wouldn't have anything to do with a mail client like Pegasus, would it?

As for IE, I only use it for a few things but do need it for one mail address, as I can't have two open in Firefox at the same time. I'm careful about what I open, including messages and also use a VPN, but need not go into detail here. 

I will need to do some reading about the memory test before getting to that. I do think the Update may well have been running and the main cause of the mouse interruption.

Hope the long delays aren't a problem; things have been busy and the daylight is getting shorter, keeping me busier outside.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

Delays are no problem.  I do not keep track.  I'm retired and I seldom even know what day of the week it is.Brother support website says drivers for the older brother are included with Windows so I'd say you need the newer printer's files which are not included with Windows.

https://support.brot...8480dn_us&os=93

I would get the Full Driver & Software Package.

Judging by the large CPU hit and memory use your IE may be compromised.  Have you tried opening Firefox in a new Window?  (Ctrl + n)  That should allow you to have the second email program running at the same time.  If not get any other browser but IE.  Opera works for Windows 7.

https://www.opera.co...ad/requirements

I'm not sure how much longer Windows Defender is going to work on Windows 7.  Also it is just an anti-spyware program and not an anti-virus program.  (The Windows Defender in Win 10 is actually a renamed Windows Security Essentials - which is no longer available for Win 7).  Try the free Avast:

https://www.avast.co...ows-7-antivirus

Avoid accepting the free trial and stick with the Basic (free) program.  Unless you uncheck it you will also get a new browser which might also work in place of IE.

If you install it decline the quick scan.  Instead run the boot-time scan:

I usually let it run at night.

Click on the Avast ball.  Then click on Protection, then on Antivirus, then on Other Scans then on Boot-time Scan.  Click on Install Special Definitions.  Click on Run on Next PC Reboot.

Reboot and let it run a scan.  It may take hours.
Once it finishes it should load windows.   Mute your speakers so it doesn't wake you up when Windows boots.

When you reboot you will see the scan start.  It will tell you where it saves its log.  Usually it's C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt but it might change so verify the location.   This is a hidden location so you will need to tell Windows to let you see it:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Copy and paste the text from the log to a Reply when done.

Avast has a bad rep for lots of popup ads but if you right click on its icon (near the clock) you can select Silent Mode which turns off all notifications.

Sometimes if the CPU gets too busy the mouse will appear to freeze for a short time.  If you right click on the clock and select Task Manager then minimize it you should see a little box icon.  The more green in the box the busier the CPU.  If the box is full it means the CPU is overworked. 

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

When I downloaded the new Brother package, it seemed to behave differently than most and with too many things on my mind, I sortof lost track of what I did. It didn't give me an icon for the printer so I had to add one, but it also gave me what appear to be multiple files for different languages (which I neither need or want). I also seem to have lost track of what might have been old, and is new so will need to sort that out when thinking more clearly.

As for mail, I can't have two different Yahoo accounts open in Firefox, even in different windows (Private browsing, or otherwise); opening a second changes the first. I can check any Yahoo account using IMAP from Pegasus mail, but can't currently even delete unwanted messages that way. My slow connection can cause problems in Peg. with the oldest account when not using IMAP.

Some years ago, Windows Defender became (IIRC) unusable with Win 7 but I have had a working MS Security Essentials here for a long time, getting definitions (and sometimes SE updates too) on a regular basis. I also use SuperAntiSpy and Malwarebytes, so unless one of those would be better replaced by Avast, I'd rather not just add it. Would it be possible or good to just use it once to do a scan and then remove it? I seriously doubt I have any problems with IE, but have considered going to Edge....I don't want anything related to Giggle. I can't say I know what else is available and particularly, would suit me.

I forgot to add that I keep Taskmaster handy all the time, and do routinely use it to see what's happening. It's the first thing I open when rebooting.

Edited by TooNew2, 18 September 2021 - 12:59 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay.  Surprise visit from my daughter.

I was under the impression you only had Windows Defender.  MSE should be good until 2023:

"Microsoft Security Essentials reached end of service on January 14, 2020 and is no longer available as a download.  Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023."

https://support.micr...38-b07dffcbbb20

You might try a free ESET scan:

https://www.eset.com...online-scanner/

Hit the One-Time Scan button

then Download, Save, go to download folder and right click on the saved file and run as admin.  (Will go faster if you pause your anti-virus)

Also try MBAR:

https://www.malwareb...com/antirootkit

Hit Download and then  follow the same instructions as for ESET.

I would try Opera as a second browser.  Has nothing to do with Google.  https://www.opera.com/ Appears you can also use Edge on Windows 7 but it's not easy:

https://answers.micr...55-e2df8698c515

Can you run VEW again?  Let's see if the Brother is still causing errors.

:

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I haven't abandoned the help and this thread but have overly been busy with other things plus have had a few misadventures with my system, starting with my modem dying and needing to be replaced. I somehow seem to have lost a file after desktop icons got scrambled, need to work with my backup files....so may not get to some of the needed tasks still remaining here for some days. I'll report back when I have accomplished one or more of them. FWIW, the mouse still has occasional spasms, particularly when lots of things are happening.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

No problem.  When you get a chance is fine.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

As I said earlier, last week I lost a folder from the desktop, and although I believe it contained some folders of pictures I still have on SD cards, I'd like to know what else was in it. Not wanting to do much that could overwrite the data if it's still there, I looked at a few sites about free recovery programs, one or two which had Recoverit from Wondershare near the top. I downloaded and ran it (after reading most of the fine print...) and it found two instances of the lost folder...but when I clicked "Recover", it took me to a new page wanting me to buy the program for a fairly large price. Not what I consider Free... I instead deleted the program. I tried another different one but what it found couldn't have been correct and the results didn't open anyway.

Might you know anything about this subject, or whether the Farbar recovery tool would work in a situation like mine? Modern life is so complicated.

BTW, I am temporarily using a spare SD card with the ReadyBoost process to increase my RAM, and it seems to help with the mouse problem, once my system gets everything going. That should speed up doing the waiting chores, once I can get back to them.

Edit:

I did a quick look at the recovery program by Easeus and it seems to be designed to find folders such as my lost one, so I may try that next (probably tomorrow) unless told differently.

Edited by TooNew2, 27 September 2021 - 10:18 PM.