Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Laptop mouse keeps quitting working and works again for a bi

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

As I state in the title my wired mouse keeps stopping working. The light in it will turn off.  I am currently on vacation. I am using a Dell Latitude laptop it has Windows 7. I am aware support for Windows 7 is over but this is a secondary system. Its frustrating though, I don't like being stressed out on vacation. This was my laptop but my Father used it for a while. He is a smoker.  I am considering getting a new mouse at Walmart. Would I have issues with compatibility or are most USB devices still 7 compatible?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

I would try a new a new usb mouse from wallmart. Always good to have a spare mouse anyway.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

As I state in the title my wired mouse keeps stopping working. The light in it will turn off.  I am currently on vacation. I am using a Dell Latitude laptop it has Windows 7. I am aware support for Windows 7 is over but this is a secondary system. Its frustrating though, I don't like being stressed out on vacation. This was my laptop but my Father used it for a while. He is a smoker.  I am considering getting a new mouse at Walmart. Would I have issues with compatibility or are most USB devices still 7 compatible?

You don't give many details about the situation: under what conditions does the mouse loose power, does the power ever return if you wait, what is being done when it happens?  I'll assume you're using a wired mouse and that your problem isn't with bad connections in the mouse or its cable so does un- and re-plugging the cable do anything? What about using a different port? 

Your problem sounds similar to one I just had so perhaps you could try the simple things I did at the beginning this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...dies/?p=2660961

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I got a new mouse, so far so good