Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could anyone please help me re. Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
:tazz: Hello.My system performance is terrible and I have ruled out spyware/ virus etc.The system is clean.I now feel it must be a problem with my drivers.I ran a free scan at Drivers HQ and it reports 39 percent of my drivers as incorrect

incorrect results as follows:

Display adapters
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Microsoft Corporation)

Network adapters
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Universal Serial Bus controllers
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Sound, video and game controllers
VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

If anyone could offer me some help / advice re. drivers it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Mark

PS: I meet minimum requirements for games but the graphics , speed are absolutely terrible

Edited by Dr Raoul, 20 June 2005 - 06:57 AM.

Advertisements

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Pay a visit to NVIDIA and download the latest GeForce drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com

Then visit VIA Arena:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Remember to always uninstall your old drivers before installing new ones! This will require a reboot. Download the new drivers before removing the old and always make a backup of your system if possible, just in case!

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the advice buddy !

:tazz: ;) ;)

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
No problem mate, hope it helps.

Also if you can't uninstall the VIA drivers don't worry too much, just overwrite them with the new ones. Refer to your hardware specification or manufacturer website for further information on your chipset etc.

It is important to remove those old NVIDIA drivers though! You can do this through add and remove programs and also through your device listings.

Shouldn't have any problems though.

:tazz:

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
How do I uninstall drivers ?????

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
PS: I am not very proficient with these machines, and as such would need to know exactly what i was doing before attemping to change all these drivers.Also, does the results of the drivers HQ scan mean that these outdated drivers are seriously affecting my machines performance.Thanks in advance

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
You remove drivers by:

Going to Control Panel - Add Remove Programs and uninstalling them from there.

Or:

Right click on My Computer-Hardware and click on the device you wish to uninstall and right click and choose uninstall.

Reboot and install the new drivers.

NVIDIA drivers are unified so there is one driver for all GeForce cards. Just select the correct operating system first.

What is the specification of your hardware and what games are you trying to play?

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey thanks.I only have 256 mb ram , but this should be enough for basic games.I have a new 80 Gb hard drive with a AMD Athlonxp 1700+ processor.When i try to play C & C Generals (for example) on the lowest brightness and detail level, with low resolution , the performance is awful.The start screen comes up in weird colours and the gameplay itself is very slow and laggy.Thanks for your advice

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey thanks,got the new NVIDIA drivers installed.I now need to find one for my VIA bus master IDE controller and some other stuff im looking into in .Keep you posted.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ive just started with my audio drivers but im lost !. The website needs to know what motherboard and chipset has, and something about the north and south bridge.Any advice on how i go about finding this out would be much appreciated. :tazz: ;)

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
THE SITUATION AS IT STANDS:

After trying to update all my drivers The Drivers HQ scan says the following are still out of date :

1....... Network adapters - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

2....... IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers- VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

3....... Universal Serial Bus controllers - VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

4........Sound, video and game controllers - VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
- Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

Any advice on where to look for these updates would be gratefully accepted.All the wesites I visit seem to have thousands of different drivers and it is very hard for me as a 'non-techy' to figure these out.

Thanks for your time in reading this post.

:tazz: ;) ;) :tazz: ;) :) :ph34r: :woot: :hug: :P :D