Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly grew sluggish a few weeks ago and needs examined

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Were you using Dell Support Assist to install the drivers or did you download each individual driver and install it?

You can check the driver status by searching for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of Network Adapters and then right click on the Qualcomm device and select Properties then click on the Driver tab.  What date and version number does it show.  OK

Now click on the arrow in front of Display Adapters.  Right click on the Intel and repeat the above.

I'm not sure where the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver lives.  Probably under Storage Controllers.

Let's do a benchmark and see where we are: 

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Click on Free Download.  Save the file then right click and Run As Admin.  Close all programs and pause your antivirus before starting.

When it finishes it will open a browser.  Copy the URL and paste it into a Reply.

Advertisements

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I definitely did not download them one at a time. I used the download all at once button Support Assist. I returned today and checked it again, and it reported my system was up to date and no drivers were needed.

UserBenchmark URL:

Dell Inspiron 3268 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Edited by Warship, 18 October 2021 - 02:04 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  I'm not sure I trust the Dell program but the Benchmark program is quite happy with it.  It does say you could use another 4 GB of RAM and an SSD but it's not bad as it is.

(I recommend Samsung EVO SSD if you decide to upgrade.  I have three of them and they are quicker than the average SSD and very reliable.  (I have had two other brands that failed in the first year))

Amazon has some off-brand RAM for about $20 if you want to try adding RAM: NEMIX RAM 4GB Replacement for Samsung M378A5244CB0-CRC DDR4-2400 Non-ECC UDIMM 1Rx16

The real thing is $72 on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/4022625717but they have some used for $24

How is it working for you?

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

So you think downloading the drivers one at a time was the better option? Why isn't the Dell site trustworthy? One reason I never checked on that stuff is my computer is set to automatic upgrade and so I thought all the needed improvements were being done. My computer updates automatically every few weeks and always has. 

This machine is older than 5 years but younger than 10 years. I only use it to do internet browsing, some typing, and printing of both paper and photographs. I don't play games and I don't do any major business tasks either. It has improved a great deal. Pages are responding as fast as they did when it was new to be honest. I am pleased with the improvements.

I don't upgrade computers, when one gets too slow or too outdated, I get a new one. I will go with SSD in the future. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I just like to do things myself then I know what is going on.  I've seen too many programs like this that don't work properly.

Sounds like we are done.  Time to clean up:

Time to clean up:
If we used FRST to clean your PC:

right click on FRST.exe or FRST64.exe (whichever you used) and rename it to uninstall.exe.  Then right click on uninstall.exe and Run as Admin.

If we installed Speccy it needs to be uninstalled.  Ditto for Latency Monitor.  Process Explorer, VEW, AdwCleaner, JRT  and their logs and Speccy's log can just be deleted.  Speedfan can also be uninstalled unless you want to use it to monitor temperature.

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.  Flash is now officially obsolete and should be removed if you still have it.  Be careful with Adobe.  They are fond of offering optional downloads like yahoo or Ask toolbars or that worthless McAfee Security Scan (Now renamed Intel Security Scan).  Go slow and uncheck the optional stuff.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program.  There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC.  For Adobe Reader:  Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.  OK Close program.  It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions.

If you use Chrome/Firefox/Edge then get the Ublock Origin extension.  For IE go to adblockplus.org  and get the program.  Using IE is not recommended as it is no longer being updated.
If Chrome/Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on.  Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox. Close Chrome/Firefox/Skpe. Hit Optimize.   You can run it any time that Chrome/Firefox seems slow starting..
(If it complains about Chrome still running you can stop it with Task Manager or go into Chrome then go to:

chrome://settings/

Hit Advanced at the bottom of the page then scroll down to near the bottom where it says System.

Change
Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed
to Off (slide the blue thing to the left and it turns brown)
Close Chrome.

If the browser is still slow then go in and disable all of your extensions, close the browser and Optimize with SpeedyFox then restart the browser.  If that helps then one or more of your extensions is at fault.  Go back in and turn them on one at a time and see if you can figure out which ones slow things down the most.

If you are a Facebook user get the FB Purity extension for your browser:
http://www.fbpurity.com/
This will stop all of the suggested pages and ads so that Facebook loads much quicker.

Be warned:  If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will probably be coming back to the Malware Removal forum.  If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.combeforeyou open them.

Due to a recent rise in the number of Crytolocker infections I am now recommending you install:

https://www.bleeping...somware/dl/306/
It's currently a free version.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password!  If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link.  Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business.
If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website.  They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Special note on Java.  Old Java versions should be removed after first clearing the Java Cache by following the instructions in:
http://www.java.com/...lugin_cache.xml
Then remove the old versions by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall all Java programs which are not the latest.  If in doubt uninstall all.  These may call themselves: Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, J2RE, J2SE.  Get the latest version from Java.com.  They will usually attempt to foist some garbage like the Ask toolbar, Yahoo toolbar or McAfee Security Scan on you as part of the download.  Just uncheck the garbage before the download (or install) starts.  If you use a 64-bit browser and want the 64-bit version of Java you need to use it to visit java.com.
Due to multiple security problems with Java we are now recommending that it not be installed unless you absolutely know you need it.  IF that is the case then go to Control Panel, Java, Security and slide it up to the highest level.  OK.

If you are running Win 10 you probably want Classic Shell:  http://www.classicshell.net/ This program will make Win 10 act like Win 7 with the same controls you are used to.

Recommended software: (I'm not saying you should download these just that if you have a need for a new program these are safe and work)  
Compression:  7-zip.  Avoid WinRar and WinZip as the free versions have adware.
Video Player:  VLC  Unlike Windows Media Player it never seems to need extra files to work.
Office like free program:  Open Office: https://www.openoffice.org/download/
or
LibreOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/
Free Anti-Virus:  Avast
Free Malware prevention:  MBAM: Free version at https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/
Can run with your anti-virus.
Paid Anti-Virus:  Kaspersky or BitDefender
Utilities:
Root Kit Detector:  MBAR: https://www.malwareb...om/antirootkit/
Process Explorer:  Show you what is running on the PC.  Like Task manager but better:  http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
WhoCrashed: Why did your system crash?
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
Then click on Download free home edition
where it says:
WhoCrashed 5.51
Comprehensible crash dump analysis tool
for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (x86 and x64)
System Health:
Speccy:  
http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  Decline CCleaner if offered.  Pay attention to SMART info on your hard drives and to temps.  If in doubt about temps try:
SpeedFan:  Try speedfan
http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/
Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it.

With Win 10 only there is a new Game recorder program.  It's supposed to only work for games but it works nicely to record any video you watch.  Hit the Win key + Alt + r to start the recorder.  The first time it asks you if it is looking at a game.  Just tell it yes.  After that it starts recording whenever you bring it up.  Videos are saved to the Captures folder under Videos.  You can only record what you watch so limited to only one video at a time.  Best to go to full screen before starting the recorder.

Avoid:  
Advanced System Care
SuperAntiSpyware
HitmanPro
Spybot S&D
Any P2P software especially if it comes from Conduit.
Registry Cleaners
Driver updating software.
PC fixing or Speed up software.
Running more than one anti-virus.
Seagate hard drives.  If you have one it's going to fail on you so backup your data now!

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

There is one last thing I'd like help with. Something we did earlier is preventing my browser from storing addresses. I like that feature so I don't have to always type it in. Could we restore that feature?

I ran into a problem. The rename method did not uninstall LatencyMon, ProcessExplorer, nor Speccy (The main icon for Speccy is gone, but the "setup" icon remains).

Also, how to uninstall HDTune, UserBenchmark, OOSU10.

And finally, why are there two new icons on my desktop that say MCPR? When clicked, they say McAfee ESD Package. I thought we had uninstalled McAfee?

Edited by Warship, 19 October 2021 - 01:07 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

To fix the browser issue which I assume is with Edge:

Right click on OOSU10.exe and Run As Admin.

Scroll down to the Section on Microsoft Edge (Web Browser)

Change All to Red.  (No need to make a Restore Point)

Disable Page Prediction

Disable Search and Website Suggestions

Disable Automatic Completion of Web Addresses in Address Bar

Disable Showing Search History

Close OOSU10.

Close Edge (if open) and reopen it.

To uninstall HD Tune:  Settings, Apps, Apps & Features, Scroll down and click on HD Tune.  Uninstall.

Or Control Panel, Programs And Features, click on HD Tune and Uninstall.

UserBenchmark is not really installed.  Just delete the exe.

Best to keep OOSU10.  It's not really installed either but it makes changes to your policies in order to speed up Windows which are difficult to change without it.  Also each time you get a big Windows update some of the changes will get undone.  Then you need to rerun OOSU10 and Revert Changes.

The MCPR are the removal tool.  Don't think they install so you can just delete their icons.

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

UPDATE: uninstalled Speccy and LatencyMon in Apps. I did not see ProcessExplorer in the App list. Is that part of Windows features?

Edited by Warship, 19 October 2021 - 04:57 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Speccy and Latency Monitor can be uninstalled the same as HD Tune.

Process Explorer is just an exe file so you can delete it.

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I'm sorry, I did what you suggested and I cannot get the auto website suggestion feature back. What's wrong?

Also, I now see a message in my settings that says "Your browser is managed by your organization" and I am prevented from making certain changes?? What is this?

Edited by Warship, 20 October 2021 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hello??

Testing...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry didn't see your reply for some reason.

OOSU10 sets policies for some of its changes and the policies are what makes the browser think it is being managed.  Go back into OOSU10 (Remember it must be Run As Admin) and verify that it looks like this:

oosu10Edge.jpg

Also  hit the three horizontal lines in the upper right of Edge and then Settings then Privacy.  Scroll down to Clear Browsing Data and then select Choose what to clear every time  you close the browser.  Make sure All items are off (not blue)

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Mine did not look exactly like your screenshot. Mine had two versions of Edge in the list. One said  Edge (new version based on Chromium) and the other says Edge (legacy version). Under the legacy version was most similar to your screenshot, but had an extra line in it. I didn't mess with it. 

All items are off in the privacy area of settings.

My computer still says "managed by your organization."

Edited by Warship, 24 October 2021 - 03:25 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looks like I had an older version of OOSU10.  Just updated and got two Edge sections.  Just change every item in both  Edge sections back to red.  That should take care of the Managed by... and should revert Edge back to its original state.

You can also go to ... Settings Reset Settings which is supposed to make it like it comes from the factory.

Go into ... Help and Feedback, About Microsoft Edge.  What version do you have?

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I changed every item to red under both Edge sections. My computer still says "managed by your organization."   :alarm:  :alarm:

My version is: Version 95.0.1020.30 (Official build) (64-bit)