Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer suddenly grew sluggish a few weeks ago and needs examined

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,946 posts
  • MVP

Were you using Dell Support Assist to install the drivers or did you download each individual driver and install it?

You can check the driver status by searching for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of Network Adapters and then right click on the Qualcomm device and select Properties then click on the Driver tab.  What date and version number does it show.  OK

Now click on the arrow in front of Display Adapters.  Right click on the Intel and repeat the above.

I'm not sure where the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver lives.  Probably under Storage Controllers.

Let's do a benchmark and see where we are: 

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Click on Free Download.  Save the file then right click and Run As Admin.  Close all programs and pause your antivirus before starting.

When it finishes it will open a browser.  Copy the URL and paste it into a Reply.

Advertisements

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I definitely did not download them one at a time. I used the download all at once button Support Assist. I returned today and checked it again, and it reported my system was up to date and no drivers were needed.

UserBenchmark URL:

Dell Inspiron 3268 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Edited by Warship, Today, 02:04 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,946 posts
  • MVP

OK.  I'm not sure I trust the Dell program but the Benchmark program is quite happy with it.  It does say you could use another 4 GB of RAM and an SSD but it's not bad as it is.

(I recommend Samsung EVO SSD if you decide to upgrade.  I have three of them and they are quicker than the average SSD and very reliable.  (I have had two other brands that failed in the first year))

Amazon has some off-brand RAM for about $20 if you want to try adding RAM: NEMIX RAM 4GB Replacement for Samsung M378A5244CB0-CRC DDR4-2400 Non-ECC UDIMM 1Rx16

The real thing is $72 on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/4022625717but they have some used for $24

How is it working for you?

Warship

Warship

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

So you think downloading the drivers one at a time was the better option? Why isn't the Dell site trustworthy? One reason I never checked on that stuff is my computer is set to automatic upgrade and so I thought all the needed improvements were being done. My computer updates automatically every few weeks and always has. 

This machine is older than 5 years but younger than 10 years. I only use it to do internet browsing, some typing, and printing of both paper and photographs. I don't play games and I don't do any major business tasks either. It has improved a great deal. Pages are responding as fast as they did when it was new to be honest. I am pleased with the improvements.

I don't upgrade computers, when one gets too slow or too outdated, I get a new one. I will go with SSD in the future.