Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 computers, 1 connected, 1 not connected to the wifi ... why?

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I have actually 3 computers on the same network (but 1 isn't turned on yet). I had MY main computer online until around 2030 last night when it stopped connecting to the internet. I tried resetting the network adapter and that didn't help. I opened my other computer (which I'm on right now), this morning and it is able to connect to the internet.

Can someone help me figure this out? I don't know what else to do, this has never happened on this network/computer before and the last time was a long time ago and a different computer and I can't remember how it was fixed last time.

Thanks for helping

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

my son got on and tried to change the settings manually and they continue to go back to being set so that I can't access the net 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

What is the make and model of the computer that cannot connect ?   Is it windows 10 ?

Can you right click on the network icon down by the clock and choose troubleshoot ?

What settings is your son changing ?

Also on some laptops there is a key on the keypad that will turn off wifi, it's a symbol of an antenna mine is on the or in combination with the print screen key. 

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Hi zep, 

Thanks for taking me on. 

Make: ASUS TUF GAMING A17

Windows 10

I can troubleshoot this computer ... but it doesn't seem to get it fixed. I have also disabled the adapter and then enabled it and that didn't fix it.

I am currently using this computer with ethernet cable connected to the satellite modem and can use the internet this way. I am, however unable to connect to ANY wifi.

I am aware of the button on some keypads that will allow me to turn on/off the wifi. I don't seem to have that button available.

My buttons are (no sound, lower sound, higher sound, mic off/on, fan, screen off/on, screen darker, screen brighter, multiple screens, no calculator pad, sleep mode, airplane mode)

Have to wait for my son to come over (just got home from work) so he can tell me what he did.

moondog

(Mark to my friends)

Edited by moondog830, 02 November 2021 - 05:03 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello,

I would power down the laptop completely if you have not done that. Then start it back up.

I would also power down the modem / router too, even if other computers are connected.

I would also

Reset the  network

Click [Start menu], then click [Settings]

Select [Network & Internet], then click [Network reset]

see how that goes.

When you right click on the network Icon down by the clock and choose troubleshoot  "What does it say"

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

My son went into the properties on the wireless adapter and changed the IPv4 and IPv6 settings and manually entered the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway and the DNS server. After trying to connect failed after he put the settings back to Obtain IP address automatically. He also reset the wireless adapter and ran troubleshooting on the adapter. No problems were found with the windows network diagnostics. Also double checked that airplane mode was off and the wifi is enabled. 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello,

I'm seeing a few issues with other users too connection related.......

WIFI Adapter Went Missing ASUS TUF Windows 10

so I am checking it out. Wondering if windows up date is installing a bad adapter.

You could even chat with ASUS Support here, since this appears to be an issue on some of these units.

2021 ASUS TUF Gaming A17 - Support

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I went to that link and it says Please select your CPU or BIOS model name to but none of the ones I can choose from are mine. My model name is " 706IH" and they don't have that in the list. 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Sorry not the best link,

Any progress today ?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

sorry, not today ... had to babysit my grandson who has an upper respiratory infection ... so it was me and him against the world. :)

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

so today, I went to my church to see if I could connect to the wireless there. the only networks that show up are the ones from my house (we live 5 miles away, so that's not possible) and not only that, but they are all listed twice. the ones from the church do not even show up on this computer, but do on my secondary computer (it is in fact downloading a couple of programs right now). do you think this is some form of hack or virus?

Mark

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

No I do not think it's a hack or virus, that model has a slight history of connection problems.

Probably should download speccy so we can look at it..

Please run Speccy to provide some more information about your computer's configuration:

Download Speccy and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on the .zip file and select Extract All.
  • Extract the file to your desktop.
  • Right-click Speccy.exe (32 bit) or Speccy64.exe (64 bit) and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the tool opens, click on File > Publish Snapshot.
  • Click on Yes, then select Copy to Clipboard.
  • In your next reply, please paste (Ctrl + V) the link to the Speccy snapshot.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
    • PipPipPip
    • 804 posts

sorry for the delay ... I was diagnosed with covid Friday evening with a rapid test ...

here is the Speccy file, but was unable to do CPU/RAM/Motherboard/Graphics

http://speccy.pirifo...rgBNaQ3jR5MoBfc

the message for all 4 that it could not read was 'Cannot initialize SPC dll'

Edited by moondog830, 07 November 2021 - 09:05 AM.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
    • PipPipPip
    • 804 posts

looked for a different install and found an updated version ... this one analyzed within seconds ... the other took about 15 to 20 minutes

http://speccy.pirifo...ExUOzbGBFL27StS

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
    • 8,093 posts

Sorry about the Covid.  I had too.  Curious were you vaccinated ?

That wifi adapter seems trouble some for a few people (Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC) . We will look in device manger at it but do below first.

Do this when you get a moment.

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exeand run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

•  
    • Flush DNS
    • Report IE Proxy Settings
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • Report FF Proxy Settings
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings
    • content of Hosts
    • List IP configuration
    • List Winsock Entries
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs