Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suitable PCI gfx card

• Please log in to reply

crudler

crudler

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

I am looking for some advise on spec 'ing a gfx card.
I am running a hand-me-down machine but the specs on it are ok.
P4 2ghz, 768mb of 333ddr ram. But it is running crummy on board graphics (64mb shared SIS 650)

I'm not a big gamer, but every now and again there is a game that meets my fancy. I bought a copy of the new Grand Theft Auto San Andreas but it seems my graphics are not good enough. The game bombs me out as soon as the intro screens r finished loading. I think its a prob with directX9 games on my system because I had the exact same prob with sims2.

Anyhoo, I want to upgrade my graphics, but here is the problem.
I have no AGP on my motherboard. Its one of those crummy budget boards. So this is making it hard to find a card that suits my needs.

From what I can gather, this new PCIexpresss is completely incompatible with old pci. And there are not many cards available that still run decently, but support old pci.

My machine suits my needs perfectly so I don't want to drop extra money into upgradin my entire system, and I don't game nearly enough to justify a beafy card. Reading up on reviews it seems the the ATI RADEON 3250 will suit my needs. It works on pci and is great value for money (apparently) or a nVidia GeForce FX5200 variant.

Does anyone know anything about playing GTA SA on this card? Or can you recommend another card that can help me out?
Local support guys are useless trying to sell me a full machine upgrade, and a 3000 ZAR card. Thats a waste of money.

Many thanks
Craig

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
not sure bout the PCI and old PCI but i do know nVidia GeForce FX5200 variant will run it, i dont know much about the ATI RADEON 3250 card. i would wait till some1 else can tell you about the ATI card because i dont know which is better.

crudler

crudler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks.
the more i read up on the card, benchmarks, reveiws etc it seems the fx5200 is a real el cheapo, and will get the job done without anything special.

gonna buy an entire new machine in a yr or 2 so no point in upgrading motherboard and buying a stauncher card

i'll burn that bridge when i get to it.

has anyone out there had any major problems with this card?

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I have previously used nvidia GeForce graphics cards for gaming and had problems with them. Ive had three now and every one of them has become defective. Also with some of the latest games they wouldn't run them.

I have recently bought a Radeon 9800 pro. It was pretty costly at £100 but full value for money. I am currently playing GTA San Andreas with it and it performs superbly.

I would recommend a Radeon over GeForce any day!!

Simmy :tazz:

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
goto newegg.com and look at video cards and pick all your preferences and search. you should find a pci graphics card that works for less then 50bux. and if you still dont like the price, search around on the internet with that graphics card.

crudler

crudler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, ill give newegg.com a try.

Simmy: is the Radeon 9800 pro pci?

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
No mate,

It's AGP

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Got it from here mate,

http://www.overclock...800_Series.html

HIS ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR IceQ TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (R9800P-ICEQ128) (GX-006-HT)

Bit cheaper than £100 now too :tazz:

crudler

crudler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks.
i think the answer is to go for the FX5200 until i upgrade my system to something more mumba.
thanks

crudler

crudler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Newegg gives me a bunch of different Fx5200 card manufacturers.
All of them look similar in spec.
are there big differences between the quality?

Are there any good places to get a comparison between these cards?
Toms hardware seems more concerned with the gpu than the actual cards