Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HD And Remote Control

• Please log in to reply

johnjuanjohan

johnjuanjohan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I purchased a Hard Drive off of Ebay for my Macbook Pro and installed it and upon attempting to configure it, found that in one of the steps it wanted me to allow Akamai Technologies Inc. to remotely control my computer.  By this they will set up/configure  the computer.  I do online banking and I would prefer that no one has access to my personal business.  I have read where this is a security company that a lot of websites use and Netflix is only one of them.

Is there any way I can get around this particular step of allowing this remote control within Mac Utilities?  What would I have to delete by name since I am lacking in Geek knowledge.

Advertisements

johnjuanjohan

johnjuanjohan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The old HD is still good, the problem is that I deleted literally everything, utilities and all.  I didn't do a backup because I had nothing to save.  I'm not sure how to load which utilities and other items on a thumb drive to transfer to the old HD.

I forgot, it is a Macbook Pro, retina 15" MID-2015.

Edited by johnjuanjohan, 18 November 2021 - 09:09 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

The best way is to install the new harddrive then boot to recovery mode.

You can then use the disk utility to wipe the HDD and then use internet recovery to reinstall the OS

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-install-macos-or-os-x-on-a-new-hard-drive-for-your-mac/ 

johnjuanjohan

johnjuanjohan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Found out the problem.  The Macbook was given to me by my son who bought them from a corporation and  remote management  was installed.  So I have to get around the remote management somehow in order to use he mac.  I think an Apple Store can assist me but not sure...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Recovery mode will do what you need.

apple store can confirm

Please post answer for others