Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with slmgr.vbs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

jlitz88

jlitz88

• Pip
  • 5 posts
slmgr runs at start up and pop up appears with "invalid combination of command parameters"  followed by list  slmgr instruction popups.    Started occuring in win 10  now running win 11 latest dev release 22504  21112-1650  Still will not go away. So I renamed the slmgr so only get one popup.  https://i.stack.imgur.com/SRTsD.png

The license is activated in settings and is legit the computer is 6 months old hp pavilion .    Any ideas on how to get rid of the pop up? I researched this and tried every possible solution. reset license ect  diabled services software protection regestry change

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hello.

The followng command will show the kind of license used.

• Press Windows icon on your Desktop, together with the letter R.
  • Type cmd, and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run Command Prompt as administrator.
  • Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
slmgr /dli
  • After running the command, you will get a report. Please take a screenshot of what you got and attach it in your next reply. Here is an article where you can see how do you take a screenshot with the snipping tool, in case you need it.

jlitz88

jlitz88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

dli  https://i.imgur.com/bGgaS56.png 

dlr  https://i.imgur.com/gW2YFVA.png

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi.

Here, you said that you found a solution: slmgr runs at start up and pop up appears with "invalid combination of command p - Windows 11 (bleepingcomputer.com)

Here, you got a suggestion but you didn't say if you tried it: Slmgr.vbs runs at start up and pop up appears | Tech Support Guy (techguy.org)

jlitz88

jlitz88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thx for the response.  I had previously disabled all startup programs in task manager and was unaware of the  techguy response to the post.  I  asked at various sites attemptiing to get an answer, I did not realize the question causes problems for  the moderators.    The solution I posted  on the bleeping site ends up disabling activation of the license which I was unaware of  at time.

I just installed   https://windows-repair-toolbox.com which seems to be an excellent tool  and  ran autoruns which details processes that run at startup.  I will see if I can fine anything with that.

Thanks anyway.  Have a  good day.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

I did not realize the question causes problems for  the moderators.

It's not that it causes problems to anyone. You just posted last month that the problem was solved. Also, you didn't respond to a possible solution provided to you. So posting again about the same issue after a month, automatically makes someone wonder what is happening. Have in mind that when you post about a problem it's good to mention what you already tried and didn't work, so we don't say the same things and the assistance is more effective and focused. 

I had previously disabled all startup programs in task manager

The case is to disable the one that causes the problem not necessarily all the start-up items. Didn't that work?

and  ran autoruns which details processes that run at startup.

Yes, you can see there the start-up items. If you want, you can zip the result and post it here. 

jlitz88

jlitz88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

File attached   It has one wscript entry in task scheduler which I have disabled with no effect

I did not realize the question causes problems for  the moderators.

It's not that it causes problems to anyone. You just posted last month that the problem was solved. Also, you didn't respond to a possible solution provided to you. So posting again about the same issue after a month, automatically makes someone wonder what is happening. Have in mind that when you post about a problem it's good to mention what you already tried and didn't work, so we don't say the same things and the assistance is more effective and focused. 

I had previously disabled all startup programs in task manager

The case is to disable the one that causes the problem not necessarily all the start-up items. Didn't that work?

and  ran autoruns which details processes that run at startup.

Yes, you can see there the start-up items. If you want, you can zip the result and post it here. 

Attached Files

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

I can't open the file. Read the instructions below, about how to correctly run Autoruns, zip and attach the result:

• Please download AutoRuns and save it to your desktop.
  • Right click on the folder then select Extract all...
  • Verify Show extracted files when complete is checked then click Extract.
  • Right click on autoruns64.exe (not autorunsc64.exe) and select Run as administrator.
  • Wait until the lower left hand corner of the window shows Ready.
  • Hit the Ctrl + S key at the same time.
  • Save the file to your Desktop using the default File name.
  • Please zip and attach the file here.

jlitz88

jlitz88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I decided  to do a clean install of Win 11.   I was on the dev build and the latest was just too buggy.  Did a clean install today and previous problems gone.  Appreciate your help with the slmgr problem.   Did find that toolkit which is a nice addition to my utility programs.  

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Good to know that the problem is gone.