Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer driving me crazy! Keeps freezing out mouse betwee

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I cleaned the heat sink, even though it already looked clean to me.

See photo of it here.

I didn't remove the fan.

But I did clean the fan thoroughly, my mid-tower is quite roomy.

The mouse issue hasn't relapsed a third time. But, I swear, it returned precisely after I replied to tell you it was fixed.

Disabled Shell Ex View items remain disabled.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Still a lot of dust on the heatsink under the fan but I guess it will have to do.  Does the fan over the heatsink blow up or down? 

I guess we can hope that cleaning the heatsink helped.  We will just have to wait and see if the problem comes back.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I'm not sure if I truly understand your question.

The fan blows air towards the side panel, the heat sink is below the fan.

I'm not 100% convinced. It's just weird that the dust issue could affect mouse. If Explorer froze during the mouse issues, then I'd understand.

But during all of these mouse issues, my keyboard has navigated perfectly fine, without delays. I managed to TAB onto desktop icons, taskbar buttons, switch between active windows and toggle on-screen settings regardless of the high MB & CPU temperatures.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Some heatsinks are cooled by the fan blowing air onto them.  Other work by sucking air through the heatsink.  Just wondered which yours was.  If the fan blows on to the heatsink the dust builds up between the fan and the heatsink.  If it sucks air through the heatsink the worst dust is on the outside.

Search for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of Mice and Other Pointing Devices.  Right click on your mouse and Uninstall.  OK Then Reboot.  Windows should find the mouse and reinstall it.  Sometimes this will fix it.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Some heatsinks are cooled by the fan blowing air onto them.  Other work by sucking air through the heatsink.  Just wondered which yours was.  If the fan blows on to the heatsink the dust builds up between the fan and the heatsink.  If it sucks air through the heatsink the worst dust is on the outside.

Search for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of Mice and Other Pointing Devices.  Right click on your mouse and Uninstall.  OK Then Reboot.  Windows should find the mouse and reinstall it.  Sometimes this will fix it.

I have no idea how it could blow directly or suck directly from the blue heat sink, as the fan would literally have to point down towards it, but in the pic it shows as facing the camera.

I have two different branded mice and they both have the same problem when the computer has relapsed.

One is wireless.

I'm sure if I tried a 3rd mouse, it would have the same problem.

Do you still want me to uninstall the main one?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Btw, the rear 12cm fan doesn't work consistently.

Would replacing it make a significant to the current temperatures?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Mouse issue relapse again randomly, whilst I was reading a page loaded ages ago.

I've noticed that if the relapse occurs whilst I'm moving my mouse, the mouse skips a few pixels, delays for a nanosecond.

So it does seem like something is interfering.

*It's really bizarre, if I click on the bottom of my music player's window title, the Firefox page behind it in another window gets clicked. It's like  Windows is struggling to decide which layers are in which order, confusing what's in front vs what's behind it.

Edited by hmp3, 22 November 2021 - 09:00 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The heatsink is directly below the fan in the middle of the motherboard.  If you hold your hand over it you should feel the air flow if it is sucking air through the heatsink.  If you don't feel any airflow then it is blowing into the heatsink.

Let's look at the event logs and see if there are any clues to what is happening there:

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System

* Application
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button and wait.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please copy and paste the Output log into your next reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Just an FYI: There is usually an arrow on a fan which indicates air flow direction. Not sure where it would be on the cpu fan or whether you can see it. It could possibly be on the body of it in the center.

This is just a thought to see if we can determine which direction.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Thanks guys. I see some arrows on the CPU Fan corners suggesting CCW flow.

Placing my hand over the Heatsink feels hot.

I notice that even though all Non-Microsoft ShellExView entries are disabled, when I right-click on video files, they show options to open with TAudioConverter, VideoPad Editor, Media Info (from K Lite Codec Pack)

VEW log to follow.

Edited by hmp3, 23 November 2021 - 04:01 PM.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

VEW Log

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

See if ShellMenuView will disable them:

http://www.nirsoft.n..._menu_view.html

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

VEW shows recent errors from Dragon Naturally Speaking and Bonjour.  Bonjour is an Apple program whose job seems to be to detect fellow Apple products on your local network.  Usually of little use even tho usually preinstalled by your PC maker.  Can be uninstalled.  You get a new version if you install iTunes.

Dragon sometimes goes crazy and created tons of logs.  You might check to see if c:\Program Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking14\logs\Charles folder has more than a few megs of files.  *The 14 may vary depending on your version number.  This is a hidden area so you may have to tell windows to let you see them:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

It's OK to delete the files in Charles if they are taking up too much space.:

https://www.knowbrai...id=30921#161243

Looks like you may have a problem with your license:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2021 01:44:00

Type: Warning Category: 0

Event: 4105 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon

Windows is in Notification period.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I have no idea how to uninstall Bonjour There are folders in Program Files and Program Files (x86), but no installation entries in Programs and Features, and no uninstall executables.

NaturallySpeaking14 folder has 2 subfolders in it. None are named Charles. My main user subfolder contains a 7mb log last modified in 2016. The system subfolder contains a 20mb log last modified in 2019.

Should I delete them both?

Windows 7 Licence is 100% genuine. If I navigate to enter serial number, there are no GUI errors to show a licence problem.

Also, by Windows notification, do you mean Windows update? If so, I set Windows Updates to Notify only using a third party program. What do I do to solve this event error?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Also, I don't mind seeing the right-click menu options for Taudio or Media Info.

Are you asking me to disable all non-Microsoft Entries in ShelMenuView for diagnostic purposes?

Edited by hmp3, 23 November 2021 - 07:26 PM.